[Environmental][Easy] Temp III

• 11 Replies

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
[Environmental][Easy] Temp III
« on: September 06, 2009, 17:12:04 »
So much time has passed since Temp II because I couldn't find anything new to do with the editor.

If you played the previous episodes, you should know what to expect; if you didn't, this is one in a series of extremely short levels linked by a faint storyline.

Warning: I've tested this level only on my PC, and I don't know for sure if it works the same way for everybody; if the intro doesn't seem to play right for you, please notify me.

Knyttlevels link
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: [Environmental][Easy] Temp III
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 18:21:23 »
Best intro ever in a KS level.

The actual level itself is pretty bland and uninteresting, but the intro makes up for it.
good bye

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 18:46:57 »
The intro was finicking amazing! The actual level is short and relatively uninteresting (I might as well be paraphrasing goog heh), but... wow. I immediately opened it in the editor to see how it was done, and still couldn't quite figure it out. KS needs more intros like that.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 20:19:54 »
Crud. You stole my idea! The tinfoil hats aren't working!
I was thinking of doing entire cutscenes this way.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 20:31:19 »

In some ideal future, all cutscenes will be this way.
good bye

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 20:36:39 »
the intro was so cute  XD

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 20:49:07 »

Sorry, better luck next time.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

In some ideal future, all cutscenes will be this way.

But it took a really long time for me just to do this small one; it's ok for flashy stuff, but I'd rather have a slideshow as long as it's well played.

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 22:14:05 »

Same here! ... at least the extremely important ones, like the intro, outro, and other important ones.
I got the idea while walking along the guard railing of a bridge over a river. This is the same river found in the town of Macomb in BSoaKFF.

I was thinking about the intro for it, and how I wanted to change the initial storyline opener. As I was looking down, I realized how much faster the ground on the left side appeared to be moving then the right. (It seemed to move faster because of how much lower it was.) Then I thought about the bridge in the game. I thought to myself how awesome it would be to animate a cutscene like that. Then I realized I could. The only difference is that mine will cover the entire screen, and you can skip it by pressing down...

Oh, and there was voice acting in these cutscenes.

As for the level, the intro itself was nicely done, and it looks great. The only awkward looking part is when Juni jumps off the bird.

The level is slightly bland, but still looks nice overall.

Might there be a Temp IV in the future?
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 00:17:45 »
Temp I and II were among the first levels I played, and I must say, I quite preferred the black and white theme you used in them. On top of that, this one hardly made any sense, even with my knowledge of the first two. The intro cutscene was good, but not enough to make up for the short, bland level that followed. That would be like saying the first 20 minutes of a movie were enough to make up for the remaining 100 bad minutes.

However, the music was nice, and the tileset usage was good, if sparse.

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 00:31:22 »
Was that the whole level?
Lurk more.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 09:30:17 »
The only difference is that mine will cover the entire screen, and you can skip it by pressing down...

I had thought about making the intro skippable but unfortunately ran out of Shifts; moreover, it would have required (at least in my opinion) a message telling you  to press down to skip, which I didn't want to show anywhere because it could ruin the atmosphere.

As for the level, the intro itself was nicely done, and it looks great. The only awkward looking part is when Juni jumps off the bird.

I should have captured a video of the game where Juni jumps: that way it would have looked better.

The level is slightly bland,

I know, I should have worked on it longer, but for various reasons I decided to wrap it up.

Might there be a Temp IV in the future?

Maybe, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

Temp I and II were among the first levels I played, and I must say, I quite preferred the black and white theme you used in them.

The original idea I had for Temp III was an immediate follow-up to Temp II.

If I manage to make Temp IV, it will be a sequel to either I or II, with those tilesets.

Was that the whole level?

Yes. Think of it as an interactive screen saver (but then who uses them anymore?).

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 02:47:59 »
Oookay.

1.) Yes, the intro is amazing.

2.) I actually really like the graphics of the entire level. Very nice atmosphere and music, too.

3.) Even though I have played all three parts of this series now, I still have absolutely no idea what it's about and what exactly happened in it.