Frozen Mountain 2 - The Return

• 168 Replies

Offline Drakkan

• View Profile
Re: Frozen Mountain 2 - The Return
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2010, 15:59:52 »
Mhoa drakkan, the level is A-W-E-S-O-M-E (even though I don`t have a cat)!
thanks a lot !

« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2010, 21:42:21 »
(Spoilers below. I don't know how to use the spoiler tags, sadly)

My first post, but I just played through this and I'll try to give a concise review.

It's fun playing a level as big as this, and you definitely deserve some credit for making it as big as it was. That alone made the level enjoyable. I would have to agree with some other members about the consistency of the level, though. If I were you in the next version I would just remove all the photo backgrounds as they badly clash with the rest of the game and, honestly, just don't look good. I can see you put a lot of effort in each screen and for the most part they look good but the tilesets are all over the place and some screens, honestly, are quite ugly.

The level design can be annoying at times. I was completely stuck once or twice (particularly when I had to find the eye). I also didn't enjoy how you "toyed" with the player by giving them a powerup for just a few screens before taking it away. I'd like to finish the game with a sense of accomplishment by earning all of the powerups before I finish it. Also, this level really, really needs a boss fight. The normal ending is ridiculously anticlimactic and sets itself up for a huge final battle when all you get is basically "The End."

The grammar is absolutely atrocious and really mars the story which isn't great. I'd be willing to fix up some of the grammar if you'd like me to but I'd really like to help fix up the story too because it's a bit of a disappointment.

All in all, it was a decent level. It was annoying and a bit of a letdown but all things considered I'd rate this a solid 7/10.

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2010, 22:00:27 »
Well, some will agree with you, some not. The fact is, that Drakkan created his own, characteristic graphical style and he won't change it.

How to use spoiler tags: put text between [-spoiler-] and [/-spoiler-]. Remove -.

« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2010, 22:06:07 »
Spoiler tags are also mentioned in the [FAQ].
Lurk more.

Offline Drakkan

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2010, 12:31:05 »
(Spoilers below. I don't know how to use the spoiler tags, sadly)

My first post, but I just played through this and I'll try to give a concise review.

It's fun playing a level as big as this, and you definitely deserve some credit for making it as big as it was. That alone made the level enjoyable. I would have to agree with some other members about the consistency of the level, though. If I were you in the next version I would just remove all the photo backgrounds as they badly clash with the rest of the game and, honestly, just don't look good. I can see you put a lot of effort in each screen and for the most part they look good but the tilesets are all over the place and some screens, honestly, are quite ugly.

The level design can be annoying at times. I was completely stuck once or twice (particularly when I had to find the eye). I also didn't enjoy how you "toyed" with the player by giving them a powerup for just a few screens before taking it away. I'd like to finish the game with a sense of accomplishment by earning all of the powerups before I finish it. Also, this level really, really needs a boss fight. The normal ending is ridiculously anticlimactic and sets itself up for a huge final battle when all you get is basically "The End."

The grammar is absolutely atrocious and really mars the story which isn't great. I'd be willing to fix up some of the grammar if you'd like me to but I'd really like to help fix up the story too because it's a bit of a disappointment.

All in all, it was a decent level. It was annoying and a bit of a letdown but all things considered I'd rate this a solid 7/10.
Hi,
thanks a lot for this nice review. Generally I agree with almost with all statet above, so just shortly to react for some:

"photos" background are very personal "feelings", somebody like it, somebody not. I definitely agree, that some of them are not so good as I wanted to be.

Level design is again very personal, if you do not like the "main" story and design I am not protesting. but I think generaly there is very few original KS levels, it is always the same: save the world, blablabla...  yes, should be better, but story is not what I was going for here.

Powerups - one of thing which should be definitely better

Boss fight - agree again. Perhpas you know there was NO boss in the first version, but I do not like it so I removed it, but I agree it should be not good for players which are excepting it.

Grammar - true true, stated few times, that I am not englihs speaking guy etc. What is interesting, that lots of players checked it, but still lots of errors :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 21:29:30 by Drakkan »

Offline Drakkan

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2010, 21:21:59 »
just up, hope it is not against some rule(s).

Offline TheYeIIowDucK

• The number you have dialed is no longer in service
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2010, 20:26:00 »
I see this level as the very death of the Knytt Stories community :(
This is the only level that reached full perfection, even better then the old Gaia.
This might be the very last epic-awesome-big Knytt Stories project, and i guess people will now start working with the new FiNCK.

So guys, it was some good few years, dating back from the old Deep Forest, to the great original Knytt and the golder age of Knytt Stories, two years ago.
All good things must have an end. And i guess it's Knytt Stories' time to lay down and clear the way for a new community, new levels, new epicness, a new gameplay and most impotently, a new game.

Goodbye Knytt, goodbye Jini. That was some good 3 years. We had lots of levels and lots of stories. Some a better, some are worst, but all will stay in my heart forever :)

I really hope this great community will stay here for another 3 years, but lets admit the facts: most of the old and good level creators left already, and the new one just aren't as good as them.

Well, don't take this reply too personalty. You may or may not agree with me. I'm just say what do i feel.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2010, 21:36:35 »
This is the only level that reached full perfection, even better then the old Gaia.
This might be the very last epic-awesome-big Knytt Stories project, and i guess people will now start working with the new FiNCK.

Eh, well, there are other "epic" KS projects around, you know. Check egomassive's A Knytt in Time, for instance:
http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=2759.0
And egomassive is building another huge complex level, too. And Hmpf is still working (as far as I know) on Falling Water, a huge environmental level:
http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=1258.0
Boot Stamping on a Knytt Face Forever is another huge level currently under construction:
http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=225.0
And even Farik said he would try to finish Sputzna, so eh.

Offline TheYeIIowDucK

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2010, 15:05:43 »

Eh, well, there are other "epic" KS projects around, you know. Check egomassive's A Knytt in Time, for instance:
http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=2759.0
And egomassive is building another huge complex level, too. And Hmpf is still working (as far as I know) on Falling Water, a huge environmental level:
http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=1258.0
Boot Stamping on a Knytt Face Forever is another huge level currently under construction:
http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=225.0
And even Farik said he would try to finish Sputzna, so eh.
I still feel that the community is shrinking away and the new FiNCK game looks very good. Maybe even better the Knytt

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2010, 01:31:03 »
I've started working on an underwater adventure 2 as well so I wouldn't say that the KS community is dead. still this is a fun level to play
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2010, 02:04:29 »
Also, great levels take a great deal of time. Most of the greats left after a couple forum blowouts.
Lurk more.

Offline TheYeIIowDucK

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2010, 18:15:23 »
Maybe the community it shrinking, but hell, it's a damn good one. Haven't seen even ONE troll!

« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2010, 01:15:03 »
Couple of spambots, though.
Lurk more.

« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2010, 23:38:44 »
Drakkan,

This is seriously one of the most beautiful levels we've ever played. The sheer amount of work that went to it is enough to make it epic. Add to it amazing graphics, beautiful custom music and tilesets, and an atmosphere that ranges from fun and light to spooky and dreary, and you got it: this Knytt Story is beautiful.

In our humble opinion, the storyline would need some improvement, but you can't have everything... And our biggest problem is that we're stuck!  :P2, to the point where:

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Is there any hint on what to do?

And once more, thanks, this is a great, beautiful level. Congratulations!

Offline TheYeIIowDucK

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2010, 22:17:16 »
Drakkan,

This is seriously one of the most beautiful levels we've ever played. The sheer amount of work that went to it is enough to make it epic. Add to it amazing graphics, beautiful custom music and tilesets, and an atmosphere that ranges from fun and light to spooky and dreary, and you got it: this Knytt Story is beautiful.

In our humble opinion, the storyline would need some improvement, but you can't have everything... And our biggest problem is that we're stuck!  :P2, to the point where:

Is there any hint on what to do?

And once more, thanks, this is a great, beautiful level. Congratulations!