Frozen Mountain 2 - The Return

• 171 Replies

Offline Drakkan

• View Profile
Re: Frozen Mountain 2 - The Return
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2010, 21:05:12 »
Playing. Might make a video and host it if I like it enough. Nice to be back.
Hope you will like it, your cat is buried somewhere in the level ;)

Offline Miyako

• 5Y5T3M M41D3N
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2010, 22:17:02 »
Mhm. I'm viguring out video editing and such on Linux so I could be a while. I'l list and voids, or fixes here for you on the way.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2010, 08:13:18 »
I can't remember whether I've already played this version or not... Guess I should try it again!

Mhm. I'm viguring out video editing and such on Linux so I could be a while.

Sorry for the off-topic question, but if you manage to make the video on Linux, could you please tell me which programs you're using? I've tried RecordMyDesktop for capturing, but the quality wasn't good enough (I suspect Pulseaudio and the 3D effects might be at fault); for video editing I tried Cinelerra (didn't work correctly for me) and Kdenlive (crashed regularly) some time ago.

Thanks in advance.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Miyako

• 5Y5T3M M41D3N
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2010, 20:04:20 »
Video isnt the problem, its audio thats the asshole ~_~

Offline Miyako

• 5Y5T3M M41D3N
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2010, 11:59:29 »
Once again another Drakkan level does not make the video list.

Reasons why;

- Stupid shifts.
- A load of god knows what for no reason.
- Particle Lag. Stop throwing 5 million fireflies into a scene.
- Lighting. Get some.
- Boring triangle jump filled areas that depend on luck.
- Lack of save points.
- Lack of anything to comment on its just the same stuff.
- I couldnt get passed the badly rendered grass.
- Moooooonnnnnnnnooooooooottttaaaannnnnnnnnnnyyyyy

I liked ONE THING about this level, and that was the Lantern jump at the beginning and I should actually take points away for it because you need to hold in over and skill/fun is not memorization.

Music 4/10
Tilesets 7/10 but thats not your doing.
Fun factor: 1/10.

Monontany: Yes.
Difficult: Yes.
Lack of Saves: Yes.

Ps: I expect a page long response by Drakkan defending his level. I don't give a shit about your defence, you can not defend against an opinion. Let's not start deleting my posts and open up that can of worms again. I hereby denounce that if this post is deleted its favoritism. Take your best shot.

Offline Bass

• View Profile
    • BassNet
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2010, 12:20:25 »
Monontany: Yes.
Monotony is spelled M-O-N-O-T-O-N-Y.
Its roots are the words monos(one, latin) and tonos(thing, greek)

Thus, monotone, meaning one thing.

This has been Bass, the zombie from long ago who loves stating the obvious.

Offline Miyako

• 5Y5T3M M41D3N
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2010, 12:24:26 »
My apologies great one.

Offline Drakkan

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2010, 13:06:33 »
Ps: I expect a page long response by Drakkan defending his level. I don't give a shit about your defence, you can not defend against an opinion. Let's not start deleting my posts and open up that can of worms again. I hereby denounce that if this post is deleted its favoritism. Take your best shot.

That says everything Miyako, I do not need to response for this, do I ?  It is a pitty, that some persons cant free of an anger and bad passion even after so long time. But hope you enjoyed it, I am sorry for you  :sad:

Offline Miyako

• 5Y5T3M M41D3N
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2010, 13:11:33 »
I'l pretend like that made sense. Get to not sucking.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2010, 15:16:59 »
Monotony is spelled M-O-N-O-T-O-N-Y.
Its roots are the words monos(one, latin) and tonos(thing, greek)

I just wanted to point out that 'mono' is a Greek root, not Latin (although it was also used by Romans I think).
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2010, 01:44:33 »
A huge (and honest) review for a huge level! :)

I've played through to the good ending, but, I was expecting a battle, and there wasn't one, which left me a bit psyched up and unsatisfied.

I'd say the level is really a mixed bag, it has some great stuff, and some not so great stuff, IMO. I personally find realistic backgrounds cheesy (ineffective) against Knytt style graphics, and a lot of the sky textures seemed inappropriate, but these are matters of taste.

Also, Frozen Mountin herself didn't seem to play a prominent enough role for me. The game could just as easily have been called "Juni's Random Adventures".

Now, you DO have a unique tiling style, which is very collage-like and itty-bitty, and I really like that when you pull it off well. In some places, though, it just seemed like bad tiling and/or layering, creating very little depth and/or immersion. This was also the case in FM1 - the unique style is beautiful when it works, but often it doesn't, and falls flat on it's face, for me at least. In some areas there was a tad too much going on, though overall I like busy screens.

The CO usage was nice, but some of the COs felt out of place. The spinning arrows for example seemed very corny and 'multimedia 2.0', like something out of a bad Powerpoint presentation. To me Knytt is about cool and heavily stylized pixel art, and those arrows almost stand for the opposite of that. There were some other photo-realistic or generally unfitting custom objects that I didn't like, but I DID like some of the others, particularly the foliage (although again, there were layering problems here and there).

Another thing was that I was confused by my powerups disappearing and re-appearing seemingly at random sometimes - more care could have been taken to remind the player of what was going on - perhaps a cutscene or dialog sign reporting the loss. I think this happened a couple of times, but continuity isn't always smooth in this level.

On the plus side - I enjoyed a lot of the gameplay, with difficulty which was just right to be challenging, but not frustrating. I also enjoyed the sheer size and it's obvious a lot of work has gone into the level, and this helps to create immersion. The minigames were fun, and the dialog was very decent for someone whom English isn't their first language, and I felt it added to the game world. For example, the lantern part was nice because we're introduced to customs of the game world, again pulling us in. There are also a lot of areas with very immersive ambience, despite my complaints, and a lot of beautiful moments.

Like the original FM, this is a level I will come back to every now and then, so replay value is high for me. Definitely a very good level all things considered, but far from being one of the best for me (in fact, I think I preferred FM1, but that may be a nostalgia thing as it was one of the first KS levels I played). It would be nice to see you stick around, as I believe your style has yet to mature, but as it is you're going to leave a sizable legacy with these two games! Congrats :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:55:39 by Sendy »

Offline Drakkan

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2010, 21:18:31 »
Congrats :)

I could just only to agree with everything you have wrote, this is exactly FM2 :)  Thanks a lot for this oppinion / critic.

Offline special_d

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2010, 12:23:49 »
Now, I, personally, liked the older FM2 better, but that doesn't mean this one sucks.

Offline Vinterrun

• Schniggedi Schnapp die Daumen sind ab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2010, 19:59:03 »
Mhoa drakkan, the level is A-W-E-S-O-M-E (even though I don`t have a cat)!
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2010, 19:50:28 »
Congrats :)

I could just only to agree with everything you have wrote, this is exactly FM2 :)  Thanks a lot for this oppinion / critic.

Glad you liked the review. And while I did focus on constructive criticism, this is a great level all the same.