How do you justify Juni's respawning?

• 46 Replies

Offline Zetta

• You're out of your vector.
    • View Profile
How do you justify Juni's respawning?
« on: September 01, 2009, 02:13:55 »
I'm sure everyone must have come up with their own explanations by now.

Mine, simply, is that Juni possesses a device that teleports her short distances away from danger, but it's extremely water-sensitive. That's why it triggers when water touches her: it's not that the water hurts her, it's just a precaution to make sure she doesn't get stranded without it.

Thread inspired by this post.
If I sound like I know what I'm talking about, you probably misread my post.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you justify Juni's respawning?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 02:48:34 »
I don't rationalise it at all; to me, that's just what knytts do when they die of anything but old age. I don't rationalise her picking up new abilities in the form of objects, either, btw. I just accept it as part of her world. That's why in my level it's normal for people to buy or discard powerups like people in our world buy or discard clothes.

What I do rationalise a bit is the two-dimensionality of Juni's world. I imagine it as three-dimensional, really, and some parts of the caves I've built so far are supposed to be oriented at right angles to others, or staggered in relation to others. In one case this leads to there appearing to be two different screens above a certain other screen - but in my head, one of them is not really on the same plane as the other. *g*

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 03:13:01 »
I don't feel a need to justify Juni's respawning.

...but if I had to justify it, I'd say that every time Juni saves, her personal timeline splits, and the player follows one of the splitting paths. If she dies on this path, the player's perspective flashes back to the fork and follows another one of the paths- a path wherein Juni may or may not die.
good bye

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 03:42:11 »
Or we could take the Bioshock route; the savepoints are really a Vita-Chamber type of dealie, and whenever Juni dies a new Juni is created, with all the memories of the original.

Or we could just say hey, whatever. If a game wants to give us unlimited lives, I say let it. ;) Really, there's no way to make sense of it. Not that it's not fun to try.

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 04:34:14 »
My answer is similar to goog's. Juni never dies. EVER. If she hits water, or enemies, pah. That didn't really happen. It's all an illusion. Juni's still back at the last savepoint. You were watching a video of what's stupid, and you shouldn't do.
Lurk more.

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 04:50:33 »
It's a game.
That's the only reason the player needs.

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 04:55:03 »
When Juni hits something harmful she breaks up into a cloud of her basic elements, then those atoms are drawn back to the last save point and she is reconstituted. Yeah, let's go with that.

EDIT: I guess that's basically teleportation, eh? XD
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:56:37 by Gorfinhofin »

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 11:53:22 »
i think i like googs idea, very... quntum mechanically inclined XD

String theory ftw!!

I was thinking juni could just imagine how she could die in the future and then wakes up from a slightly uncomfortable dream X-P

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 18:26:08 »
I would say its like in Super Mario Galaxy, but with Knytts. If Juni dies, she turns into clouds, right? Well, i would say that those clouds eventually will gather in the point where you last saved, where they will form a new Knytt, so the cycle of Knytt life continues. But the cycle never repeats itself in the same way.

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 22:34:13 »
I don't feel a need to justify Juni's respawning.

...but if I had to justify it, I'd say that every time Juni saves, her personal timeline splits, and the player follows one of the splitting paths. If she dies on this path, the player's perspective flashes back to the fork and follows another one of the paths- a path wherein Juni may or may not die.

... Very much like the book "The Golden Man" and movie "Next"... that is the second time I've brought that up... once with the "Braid" topic under TME and now here... X)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 05:47:58 by JC Grim the 'crete reaper »
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 22:58:48 »
to me, that's just what knytts do when they die of anything but old age.
I think that's what happens when they die of old age too.
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 20:42:48 »
When Juni hits something harmful she breaks up into a cloud of her basic elements, then those atoms are drawn back to the last save point and she is reconstituted. Yeah, let's go with that.

EDIT: I guess that's basically teleportation, eh? XD
I would say its like in Super Mario Galaxy, but with Knytts. If Juni dies, she turns into clouds, right? Well, i would say that those clouds eventually will gather in the point where you last saved, where they will form a new Knytt, so the cycle of Knytt life continues. But the cycle never repeats itself in the same way.
Pretty much the same, eh?

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 21:45:41 »
Mine, simply, is that Juni possesses a device that teleports her short distances away from danger, but it's extremely water-sensitive. That's why it triggers when water touches her: it's not that the water hurts her, it's just a precaution to make sure she doesn't get stranded without it.
This, but note these details: The KOT (Knytt Office of Teleportation) only permits teleportation to specific co-ordinates, which they mark with glowing beacons; also, since the space required to store the co-ordinates of each atom is huge, the device can only hold one set at a time, which it updates if Juni presses a button on the device while near a beacon.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 22:18:07 by Dataflashsabot »

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 01:00:33 »
This, but note these details: The KOT (Knytt Office of Teleportation) only permits teleportation to specific co-ordinates, which they mark with glowing beacons; also, since the space required to store the co-ordinates of each atom is huge, the device can only hold one set at a time, which it updates if Juni presses a button while near a beacon.
Juni needs to learn how to throw her detector at such buttons.
Lurk more.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 01:10:27 »
Juni needs to learn how to throw her detector at such buttons.
But then she's not wearing it, so it can't teleport her away from danger.