Does anyone use Game Maker?

• 34 Replies

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
Re: Does anyone use Game Maker?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2009, 18:02:42 »
There is no option in the room properties to do this; I'm 100% confident of that, since I went and checked when I saw your previous post, and again when I saw this one. The only thing room properties can do is set the max step size, not the minimum step size or the only step size.

Strange...perhaps it's changed between GM6 and GM7?  I guess that would make the room-changing method easier then.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2009, 19:12:27 »
Strange...perhaps it's changed between GM6 and GM7?  I guess that would make the room-changing method easier then.
I'm fairly sure it wasn't even around in GM6, since I used that for about a year.

Offline Jonolio

• Who ate all the cheese?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 01:33:03 »
Okay, I've been away for a while (exams...), but I'm getting slowly back into things (holidays!)... More noob tutorials needed!  :D I would appreciate assistance in making save points, and opinions on using external files. Would it be beneficial to use external files (like tile sets and music etc) in my game? I am hoping to create about five main rooms, each maybe 20 or more 'views' big (each 'view' is about the same size as in KS, but with 32x32 tiles). Would this help it to run better? As you can see, I am completely lost, so any help is appreciated. Thanks guys in advance.
For God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten son, so that whoever should believe in Him would not perish, but have everlasting life.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 17:44:17 »
You should pretty much always store music externally due to its size, otherwise the game's preloading will be unbearably long.  Graphics aren't as bad, but it would still be a good idea.

For saving the game, you should always make your own save format.  It needn't be complex, just make sure the files it produces are small (and that it's fast).  GM's built-in save format is horrible, terrible, bad, and I don't like it.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2009, 03:21:31 »
You should pretty much always store music externally due to its size, otherwise the game's preloading will be unbearably long.  Graphics aren't as bad, but it would still be a good idea.
Seconded, this is definitely best.
For saving the game, you should always make your own save format.  It needn't be complex, just make sure the files it produces are small (and that it's fast).  GM's built-in save format is horrible, terrible, bad, and I don't like it.
Not to mention that if you release any update at all, previous saves won't work, since the game is actually saving the exact state and not a list of variables that can be transferred over to a newer version.