KS Level Composer

• 47 Replies

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
Re: KS Level Composer
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2009, 19:09:52 »
So wait... if I read this correctly... are you saying that you have now added the feature I asked you about previously; altering shifts to meet the matching locations when duplicating rooms?
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline xoft

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2009, 20:43:17 »
Yes, that's exactly the feature. The room duplication dialog now looks like this:
And all the choices should be working correctly.
The controls are set so that by default, the contained shifts / warps work within the new rooms and outgoing shifts / warps go to same locations as the old rooms. So effectively it creates an alternate path.

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 15:25:52 »
 Yess! My custom objects aren't being eaten anymore!

However, they are losing all of their spacing from each other in the ini file.

It's not impossible to work with this, of course... But it would be nice if they would maintain their spacing. Just one carriage return between each CO would make it super easy to decipher. (I have like fifty of them so far, and I'm constantly noodling with them to get their placements just right.

If you're kind enough to fix this I will be eternally grateful. But thanks for all the hard work on this. It's shaping up really really well!
http://jerkdouglas.deviantart.com
 Hit the gallery and you'll find the concept directory for my game.

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2009, 02:15:12 »
Hmm... I seem to be having problems...

It tells me that my KS Folder cannot be found... fair enough.
Then it opens a window asking for a Knytt Stories Level File. This would normally have me find the Game executable.
Anything I choose causes KSLC to crash.

Whats the deal?
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline xoft

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2009, 08:15:50 »
I found the same problem yesterday, I'm investigating it now.

In the mean time, I think the easiest solution is to delete the settings file, KSLC.ini. That should take care of it.

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2009, 07:27:12 »
Ahhh, we have liftoff. :) Thanks so much Xoft. This feature is going to make BSoaKFF so much better.

- George Orwell

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 23:46:59 »
Is there any way to copy multiple tiles from one map to another? I am working on a large map with 5 other people and the transferring of tiles is going to take forever if there is no way to. I would appreciate any information on this as soon as possible. midnightdaystar (at) gmail (dot) com

Thank you.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2010, 03:53:43 »
Is there any way to copy multiple tiles from one map to another? I am working on a large map with 5 other people and the transferring of tiles is going to take forever if there is no way to. I would appreciate any information on this as soon as possible. midnightdaystar (at) gmail (dot) com

Thank you.
Or, you could be PM'd. *points to the top of the page* See where it says, "Hey, MidnightDaystar, you have 0 messages"? ;)
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2010, 08:33:18 »
Unless you're using the WaDF theme, in which case it would say "My Messages
  • "
Lurk more.

Offline xoft

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2010, 22:29:57 »
MidnightDaystar, what exactly do you mean by "copy multiple tiles"?

You can select several tiles in the tileset and insert them into the room by a single click in the current KSLC version.

However, what I suppose you meant was to copy several rooms from one level to another, right? That is unfortunately not possible at the moment, and generally such a feature is very difficult to design, so I don't think it'll be available within any foreseeable future.

Note, it's difficult to design, not implement. There's just too many things to decide what to do about when copying rooms; the actual implementation then is rather trivial.

A simpler approach that might be implemented quite soon is importing a (complete) level into another level. This is way easier, because most of the world.ini settings stay intact. Still there are issues, such as tileset collisions, custom objects etc. that need to be solved.

Anyway, nothing's gonna happen in the nearest future (month or so), since i'm working on different projects now and simply don't have the time needed for KSLC.

Still, any programmers who'd want to join are welcome, KSLC is, after all, open source.

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2010, 22:37:20 »
You can, however, copy rooms from one level to another with Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V.
Lurk more.

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2010, 10:15:40 »
I always assumed that's how they copied over islands made for Gaia...

- George Orwell

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2017, 16:55:24 »
How do you install this?  In the KS folder?  I can't get it to work.  Just crashes.  I have the DLL too.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2017, 17:34:43 »
Now that you mention it, I recall having trouble running this tool at first, and it was related to the version of the Zlib.dll that I was trying to use. It has to be the same exact version the program expects, otherwise the program will refuse to run. The DLL I'm using is v1.2.1.1429 (according to Windows explorer).

I can save you some trouble with the link below. Placing the DLL file in the same folder as the KSLC executable should do the trick:

[ Zlib1.dll (Win32) ]

DISCLAIMER: Use this file at your own risk! It's the same one I'm using and should be free of viruses, but I cannot offer any guarantees.

As for the installation, I think any folder will work (unless they require admin access). The first time you run the program, it will ask you the location of your main "Knytt Stories" folder and save it to an .INI file. Personally, I prefer to keep the KSLC files on that folder, with the other KS executables.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2017, 11:45:12 »
I sent an e-mail to the programs maker and got it running.  Either I shouldn't have put it in the actual KS directory, or I shouldn't have put it there with all those other files for it he had on his web site.  Shrug.  

Thanks though!