KS Level Composer

• 47 Replies

Offline xoft

• View Profile
KS Level Composer
« on: March 04, 2009, 16:20:05 »
  The KS Level Composer program is being developed to help level authors track down those nasty wallswims and to ease level designing.

-- Placing the updates here below ---

Current version: 0.3.16 (2009_10_01)

Current version can:
    + check for wallswims (naive check used, possible false-positives)
    + edit level using almost the same logic as Nifflas' original editor (still in development, but the basics are there)
    + select multiple tiles in tileset and paste them all at once
    + duplicate several rooms all together with their object metadata, with or without adjusting shifts / warps
    + list powerups and keys
    + follow shifts and warps directly in editor

The releases are stored at http://xoft.cz/games/kslc.html not to clutter this thread.

The program doesn't need any installation, just download and unpack (possibly the zlib1.dll as well, if you dont have one already) and run.

At the first run it should ask you for the KS executable (so that it knows the path to all KS data folders). If it doesn't (strange) or you set the wrong path, you can change it later in Settings (menu View -> Settings...)

If it still gives you trouble, please write the contents of the Log tab.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 12:24:01 by xoft »

4a

Re: KS Level Composer
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 20:49:17 »
...this isn't a newer version than what was already on the old forum, is it? If it is, then does it not do that glitchy thing where copying multiple screens jacks up the shifts and stuff?

Offline xoft

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 22:37:47 »
I'm not sure, I think I've already fixed that bug but I think I haven't released that version yet. Thanks for reminding me, I'll try to improve on that soon(ish).

Oh, I remember now, I fixed the problem with copying totally unrelated data, but wanted to add an option whether to adjust or not shifts / warps in the copied section. I'll try looking the info up on the old forum.

4a

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 16:32:10 »
If that does get fixed, it will be super-useful, yep.

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 04:59:56 »
I'm not sure, I think I've already fixed that bug but I think I haven't released that version yet. Thanks for reminding me, I'll try to improve on that soon(ish).

Oh, I remember now, I fixed the problem with copying totally unrelated data, but wanted to add an option whether to adjust or not shifts / warps in the copied section. I'll try looking the info up on the old forum.

Yes, I asked you about shift adjustments, and you said you'd explain on the forum, then it crashed. XD
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline victor12

• AKA victory man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 14:40:58 »
 :moody: don't works in KSA
*victorY12 wants his nickname on the forums changed.
*victorY12 is not dead, he's still hanging out on IRC.
Spoiler: this forum's visitors (click to show/hide)
NOTE:If you see it, a new flag will appear
Ask me anything.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 09:06:44 »
It probably will if you re-name your KSA to "Knytt Stories.exe"
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline victor12

• AKA victory man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 16:44:11 »
It probably will if you re-name your KSA to "Knytt Stories.exe"
i already re-named it :/
*victorY12 wants his nickname on the forums changed.
*victorY12 is not dead, he's still hanging out on IRC.
Spoiler: this forum's visitors (click to show/hide)
NOTE:If you see it, a new flag will appear
Ask me anything.

Offline xoft

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 19:58:03 »
Pardon me for my ignorance, but what is KSA?

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 20:13:50 »
@xoft: KSA is my KS mod.

@victor: If you had put KSA in your KS folder like I expected everyone to, there probably wouldn't be a problem with this. Renaming KSAdvanced.exe to Knytt Stories.exe should make this work. If it doesn't, then edit KSLC's .ini. On the second line of the ini, type in the path to KSA (Example: C:\Users\BloxMaster\Downloads\Games\KSA\) It'll work.
Also, you should keep in mind that it isn't xoft's job to keep up with KS mods (unless he really wants to).

Offline xoft

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 20:24:10 »
... edit KSLC's .ini

No need for this, You could actually use the menu from inside KSLC, it is in the Settings.

Thanks for the clarification, BloxMaster.

KSLC should work with any KS mod, provided that it uses the same level file format and same directory structure as KS (but then I can't imagine what the "mod" would actually be ;)

On a different note, I'm working on the shifts / warps duplication and it's proving to be quite a lot of work on the coding side. An update is likely to be quite far away in the future, unfortunately.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 21:56:52 »
Doesn't even seem to copy the rooms in the first place for me :sigh:
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 22:53:55 »
 This is really sharp, especially the passability mask and the one panel peek into adjacent screens.

However it is literally impossible to use at the moment.

1) I have no idea how to start to work on a new screen past the first. All that clicking on the minimap seems to do, is create a selection of the screens you click on.

I designated some new screens in the original level editor, saved it, and then I could get to those okay in KSLC. But that's only if they already exist. But I can't make any new screens in KSLC. Is there a hotkey I need to hold down while I click? Or a hotkey in general?

2) Once any selection larger than one screen has been made, the program crashes shortly thereafter. I don't really need that function so it doesn't affect me very much, but I'm sure someone might need it.

3) Whenever I save in KSLC, it chews up the custom object parameters I've set in my world.ini file... The initial line of bracketed code that designates the ID of the objects is completely removed every time. The rest of the data is unaffected.
http://jerkdouglas.deviantart.com
 Hit the gallery and you'll find the concept directory for my game.

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 01:17:23 »
Where can I find zlib1.dll?
Lurk more.

Offline xoft

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 08:00:43 »
At the same page where you can find KSLC - http://xoft.cz/games/kslc.html - Downloads section, support DLLs