A Jolly Good Game of Mornington Crescent!

• 11 Replies
A Jolly Good Game of Mornington Crescent!
« on: August 27, 2009, 03:28:57 »
What ho, old chaps! Who wants to play some Mornington Crescent?
Ruleset is North American 3 Revised Edition. (I know some people prefer the European rules but NAM2 is friendlier to new fellows.)
No reverse blocks, no non-interruptables, and no double switch. Other than that, anything goes.

Map can be found here: http://images.intolondon.com/images/intolondon/transport-maps/london-underground-tube-map.gif

Alright, I'll start simple by taking Tottenham Court Road and disbanding.

Re: A Jolly Good Game of Mornington Crescent!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 05:06:26 »
I'm lost. Think you could actually tell us the rules besides saying, "oh, it's North American 3 Revised. Duh."
Lurk more.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 05:09:50 »
:( Haven't you played Mornington Crescent before?

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 05:45:20 »
:( Haven't you played Mornington Crescent before?
Haven't you played Exalted before?

I didn't think so.

Rules would be nice, please. :)

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:55:32 »
Ah, found a good summary of the basic rules from someone:

"It varies hugely from edition to edition but in short you select a starting station and a mode of transport. Your guide is the London Underground map. You get a variety of cards of different colour, some representing the different lines on the Underground (at least in 3RE). In the simplified version turns are limited to movement, challenges and card playing.
For a beginner like you I'd recommend starting somewhere unobtrusive like Angel and just using a bike.
Other people will fill you in as you go."

I.E. you can say "I'm going from Farrington to Holborn by foot", then the next guy (or guy after him) can challenge you and say that's not legal; here's why. Or you can play a card, but that's a little complicated and I don't recommend dealing with cards until you've got the basic strategy down. (To make it fair, I won't use them either). That's the basis of the game.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 06:52:01 »
I don't think that that is still very descriptive... I'm sorry, but if you could explain the rules in full detail, it might be fun to play, but otherwise, without knowing how to play, it won't be fun.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 08:34:18 »
How do you win?

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Lunar_Tick

• "Do not disturb my circles"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 11:36:05 »
Mornington Crescent is notorious in English pop-culture for being a ruleless game, however that's mostly untrue. The game started out as having a ruleset while being played on some BBC radio show. The joke was that the audience was never explained the rules of the game, which led to a somewhat hilarious degradation and bastardisation of the rules.

Generally, when playing Mornington Crescent, some players are meant to collude and agree on the rules while newer/other players are left clueless.

On the other hand, you could just copy-paste one of the many rulesets pieced together from instances of the radio show and logic (?), and play it without that Mao taste.

On the third hand, you could play it as it was played on the later series of said show, as a humourous, rule lacking, tongue-in-cheek parody of over-complex games.
Νίψον ἀνομήματα μὴ μόναν ὄψιν

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 14:27:38 »
I lean towards the third - it often comes out like Calvinball, where everyone is just trying to sound strategical and such.

Offline Hiro

• WARNING: Accidentally kills threads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 14:29:22 »
Ah, Good ol' North American 3 Revised...  ;)

I'll go from Baker Street to Finchley Road
[A court case is being held to decide upon the fate of this property: Utilization by the community, or Destruction /]

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 18:06:11 »
If a game has no goal, it's spam.

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 13:17:24 »
Agreed. A forumgame needs to have a clear ruleset with an objective to know what to do and what people expect from you. If you want the objective to be trying figuring out what the objective is, then atleast state that.

As it is now, its indeed just spamming without rules.

Therefor I'm locking this. Feel free to PM me and explain the entire concept behind it, so I can tell you how you could setup a game like this (if possible)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex