Level packs...

• 23 Replies

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
Level packs...
« on: August 24, 2009, 05:01:05 »
I cant help but notice that both the KS official expansion and the 3rd party expansion are in level packs. Can someone tell me how to make these?... please?....  C)p
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Re: Level packs...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 06:57:53 »
As far as I can tell, you'd need some programming experience. Enough to create a level pack installer. There's no special program to the extent of my knowledge that creates them.
Lurk more.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 08:13:59 »
Ah, yes. The level pack stuff.
You can't make your own level packs, because, well, I don't know really. We had a forum about this a while ago, but it had some crazy rules about approval and relevance, so nobody actually bothered to make one.
Then I submitted my list of levels (for the pack in my sig) and LPChip killed the forum because it only had my own levels. :^^:

I guess I kind of understand that people want good packs with high quality levels, but the rules we had were just ridiculous.
If I remember correctly, your pack could not contain levels by one author only, needed to have 4 or more levels, all the levels needed to have the same or similar themes, needed to be popular (!?), and needed to be approved by a level pack approval comity.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:29:02 »
hmm...
I reckon you should be able to make like a trilogy or something, and turn it nto a levelpack so peope don't have to download three separate levels etc...
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 17:06:10 »
The thing was, that everyone wanted to make a level pack for their levels only. Some were like: okay, I'll make a level pack, put all my levels in, pick a few random levels from others and its valid.

With requests like these, we were forced to make strict rules.

The idea was to present direct downloads on the main site of pre-selected high quality levels.

I don't have a problem in offering somekind of zip-file that have your levels if you release them on the forum only though...
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 20:06:58 »
Everything posted in the Level Editing subforum gets horribly misinterpreted.  I hate that.

Anyway, what he wants to do is make a level installer, like that for the A Strange Dream official level pack.

All you really need to do is make a program that will extract the level folders (not the .bins, the folders) from itself to the Knytt Stories/Worlds directory.  It isn't really difficult.  It's also not that useful, though.  It would probably take up more space than the .bins would, and it would probably take more time to extract the folders than KS would to decompress the .bins.
It is, on the whole, largely impractical to do.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 20:31:18 »
But it looks way cooler.

Yeah, not really.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:47:14 by LPChip »
Lurk more.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 08:51:51 »
I just ment something like a way of downloading a "level pack" of the forums (not the main site) which was a .bin, which you could drag directly into KS and it would automatically uncompress all of them.

I don't think it would be that hard, as KS jusd de-compresses any .bin file and chucks it in it's world folder, so you'd just have to find out how to compress multiple levels into one .bin

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 09:36:37 »
^ It's indeed quite trivial if you modify an existing program (like the third party decompressor or my editor), you just need to agree on a common format, which could simply be a new separator string for different levels (or actually none at all, since the 'NF' file separator string would be enough, you'd just need to concatenate multiple .knytt.bins).
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 09:49:51 »
Its impossible to use .knytt.bin files to store more than one level. The architecture of the fileformat is just not set to do that. So both the level editor AND the game needs to be edited to make support for this.

Making a custom installer really is the best way to make one.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 09:57:09 »
oh.. dammit!
I hought KS would extract any .bin, no matter the content...
I guess the best way to do it is just use a .zip with all the levels in it (I would make an extractor program that extracts all files to a certain directory [the worlds folder], but I can't program to save my life!)

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 17:31:01 »
So both the level editor AND the game needs to be edited to make support for this.
:shifty:
Lurk more.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 19:23:10 »
I guess the best way to do it is just use a .zip with all the levels in it (I would make an extractor program that extracts all files to a certain directory [the worlds folder], but I can't program to save my life!)
Why can't you just set the directory for the zip file to KS manually? It would be a LOT easier than to create a program to do it for you, and it wouldn't be much slower.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 22:12:33 »
What's so hard with dragging a bunch of .bin files?
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 23:18:54 »
Actually, putting them in a .zip archive and extracting them to the "Worlds" folder is quicker than letting KS just extract the .bin...at least, I think.