Mafia 5 game thread *It's over!*

• 131 Replies

Offline Lunar_Tick

• "Do not disturb my circles"
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia 5 game thread
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2009, 22:06:49 »
On Bored:
I just realized something: if any of us vote, and it happens to be a townie, then both mafia can join the bandwagon and we lose in an instant.
Although I applaud your cautious spirit, you have to take into account that this doesn't really change anything, since even a single vote on someone will result in a lynch if no other votes occur. There will always be a lynch, and it isn't far off, so the mafia don't really have an incentive to hurry things along.

I'd try my luck, seriously, by voting Bored out.
Why? Explain. I let it go day one because it was initially a random vote, but you've stuck with it. Please explain.

Its definitely out of left field to equate either my vote on you of D1 or that post as being anything near to the threat of an actual vote. Had circumstances been otherwise and my D1 vote on you actually endangered you I would have taken it off.

The quote "I'd try my luck, seriously, by voting Bored out." may have been taken out of context. I didn't mean that I would like a Bored lynch.
Since it is clear that the town is forced to make a lynch or else just have a random kill at the end of the D1 by the mod, I stated that I'd try my luck (since I had little evidence about it) and lynch you. Which means I see you as marginally more suspicious than other players. This view is, of course, subject to change.

One of the reasons I suspect you (not enough for a FOS yet or vote) are your strained didactic posts, much like the first chunk of your post #87 on the mafia note. You state the obvious a lot, and write a slight too much on issues that don't need that much to be said about them. This might be your playstyle, or it might be a mafia's way of looking active and involved without actually contributing to the dialogue.

You wait till someone else votes, so it doesn't seem like you were to eager to vote someone away, then you eventually join when it won't lead to indicating you being scummy. Seems suspicious...
What? When did this happen? The only person I voted in the whole game (right?) was you, and that pretty much was a random vote, with nobody voting before me. :S

Also, explain how today isn't as LyLo as we think, please.
Well, I haven't calculated all the permutations of events, but since all the townies (4) have to die before the mafia wins, it looks like this isn't our final chance. Winning after a D2 mislynch will be very difficult, but not automatically impossible, therefore not a LyLo. And that isn't a technicality.

[...] but... maybe today isn't a LyLo for Lunar_Tick? Maybe a lynch of a townie would equal victory for Lunar_Tick, or as close to it as possible? I don't know.
It's this kind of half-baked accusation that I don't like. You seem to be accusing me of being mafia by using all this in-the-air psychological mumbo-jumbo (like the analysis of the note you did) which isn't really based on anything. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though.

Hm. I still can't get a clear tell on Bored.

On Data:
You only give us some information about claiming which doesn't help in finding mafia.
Since we are forced to choose somebody to kill, and we should utilise this tool, I'd like to know who you'd rather we kill at this point, and, if you can, tell me why.

In fact that goes for everyone.

On Razzor:
I was going to do a piece on that you have potential, the ability to be more than a lurker, when you stopped lurking. I was then going to do a piece about how that's cheating when I read your post and agreed with it completely. What to you think town about Razzor's post?

And if Budja's in the Mafia well that's just unfair. :P

Also, @all: Is shawn being suspicious by not being active? Is that suspicion enough to warrant a vote, a lynch?
Νίψον ἀνομήματα μὴ μόναν ὄψιν

Offline Lunar_Tick

• "Do not disturb my circles"
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2009, 22:09:06 »
On reflection, I realize that it would be very easy at this point for a mafia to just stay low and feed the whole Lunar - Bored opposition (which isn't that important really) and ride the whole thing out to an easy win.

So seriously inactives. Get to it.
Νίψον ἀνομήματα μὴ μόναν ὄψιν

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2009, 22:25:54 »
On reflection, I realize that it would be very easy at this point for a mafia to just stay low and feed the whole Lunar - Bored opposition (which isn't that important really) and ride the whole thing out to an easy win.

So seriously inactives. Get to it.

You know, funny enough, I think that the only real reason we are so opposed in the first place is because both of us are the most active, therefore providing the most things to criticize. I definitely agree that the inactives need to be more active (see above posts), though I'm not positive if that makes them suspicious or not.
@Razzor:

Why would someone who is overly paranoid want to deliberately lead us onto them?
It would be terribly stupid to leave a hint as to who you are.
The only purpose of the note is to get us to waste time thinking about it, if even that. It could also just be a joke, because its implying mathexpert killed him.
Don't take it seriously though. The note is unimportant.
That is true... all I stated was that they might be trying to use reverse psychology, anticipating our reaction (that the note shouldn't be taken seriously), to deflect suspicion.
Quote from: Razzorman

Why are you so paranoid? He said that you are a little bit suspicious, but that it would be a stretch to vote for you. Ar you afraid of something?
He is suspicious for, um, not voting? The assumption that he would jump on a bandwagon as soon as there is one is nothing but baseless speculation on your part.
I don't know about you, but I would wait for the possible mistakes to actually be made before pointing them out. By telling the mafia what they shouldn't do before they do it you are actually helping them.
Hmm... no, I don't find him suspicious for not voting, exactly, but, like I said, I put my thoughts down as I think them. What you see are just all the current thoughts on the game being put down. Please remember, though, that this is my second game of mafia ever, so I'm bound to make mistakes, like telling the mafia what they shouldn't do (unconsciously, of course) before they do it. I'm still learning. I'll try to avoid tipping them off like so again...

Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Budja

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2009, 02:05:56 »
Quote from: Lunar
Today isn't as LyLo as you think Budja.
Ah, good point. I take back my massclaim idea.
A cop with a guilty should sill come forward.

Quote from: LimeLemon
However, I'm not sure what to do if e.g. two persons have 50% votes each. I wrote that one would be selected randomly in the rules, but I'm not sure it's such a good idea. Maybe extend the time limit, double lynch or no lynch?

A common rule is that the first to be voted to that position is lynched.
ie. if player A and player B have 2 votes and player A was the first to reach 2 votes, player A is lynched.
Another rule is a no-lynch.

Random lynch and double lynch are worse than both of the above.

Quote from: Bored
Also, on a side note, I'm surprised I didn't die last night... it would've thrown suspicion on Lunar_Tick, regardless of whether he was guilty or not, with how opposed he was to me. Of course, if he WAS mafia, then he wouldn't kill me, because of that very fact...

Poor logic here.

Quote from: all @Budja's
I assumed that the game ended when the mafia equaled or outnumbered the town, which is the usual rule. Its is a reasonable idea in that situation.

Quote from: Razzorman
@mod: How about those rules? Do the mafia win when the entire town is dead, or when they are equal to the town?
I would also like a response here.

Hm. I still can't get a clear tell on Bored.
I have trouble just slogging through his posts.

@all: Is shawn being suspicious by not being active? Is that suspicion enough to warrant a vote, a lynch?
Yes, he is a bit suspicious but moreso for his last post, the "analysis" declaring everyone innocent :P.

Quote from: B2D
Please remember, though, that this is my second game of mafia ever, so I'm bound to make mistakes, like telling the mafia what they shouldn't do (unconsciously, of course) before they do it.

You know who makes mistakes? Mafia.
Don't play the newbie card. You've proved yourself to be reasonable competent before so you have no excuse.

------------------------------------------

Shawn. Data are inactive and mostly echoing others. (little scummy)
Bored and Lunar are being impossibly hard to read. (no read)
Razz is looking pro-town. I like his responses and probing questions. (little town)

But, like Lunar, I have nothing solid here.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2009, 02:40:14 »
I'm sorry about the rules not being clear in some situations.
If the mafia outnumber the town, they have a 100% guaranteed victory. However, if they are equal, there is still a chance of the town to win, especially if the doctor is still alive. No, disregard that, it will be a draw in most cases. But that depends much on how we should deal with 50-50 votes in these situations. If we don't lynch anyone, the town has no chance of winning, and the game will go on forever if the doctor protects the right person each night. But if there are only 2 players of course the doctor will protect itself and then the game will surely go on forever.
The double lynch seems to be a bad idea. If there are 4 players, one mafia and one townie will be killed. Then the last townie will be killed during the night, if it's not the doctor. Then both of them will be lynched next day.
If there are 2 players both will simply be lynched.
If a random person of the two is selected, I guess anything could happen. But I don't like that idea.
If the person who first gets 50% votes is lynched, this becomes a game of speed, which it's not supposed to be.

Help.

EDIT: So, the best seems to be to let the mafia win when they equal or outnumber the town. Gotta update first post.
Also, if you still are this active in 4/5 days, I suppose I could postpone the time limit.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 02:55:37 by LimeLemon »

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2009, 11:57:27 »
EDIT: So, the best seems to be to let the mafia win when they equal or outnumber the town. Gotta update first post.
Also, if you still are this active in 4/5 days, I suppose I could postpone the time limit.
Then we are in a LyLo, and I can claim. I investigated Budja last night. He is the Mafia member (not don).
Vote: Budja
I'm counting on that the doctor will protect me during the night.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2009, 12:14:50 »
Vote:Budja

Offline Budja

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2009, 13:06:30 »
Ok, that's just ridiculous.

vote Razzorman

I am actually the investigator. I investigated Lunar last night and he is a townsperson.

All I can say is that Razz is attempting a gambit here. Now we know that it is LyLo, the mafia only need one mislynch to (likely) get a win.
Still, it was a crazy risk but I guess I haven't been entirely subtle about my role :P, it was part of the reason behind my initial claim idea.

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2009, 14:11:50 »
I am actually the investigator. I investigated Lunar last night and he is a townsperson.
Well, that's incredibly convenient.
There is a 20% chance for a mafia member to randomly pick the investigator out of all players. That makes the chance that you are lying 80%.
And why the drama?

All I can say is that Razz is attempting a gambit here. Now we know that it is LyLo, the mafia only need one mislynch to (likely) get a win.
Pretending to be the investigator would indeed be very stupid. I'm glad we agree. :)
There are a lot of safer ways for the mafia to get the town to mislynch, like making fake cases against inactive players, for example.

Still, it was a crazy risk but I guess I haven't been entirely subtle about my role :P, it was part of the reason behind my initial claim idea.
You mean the idea that the investigator should claim regardless of whether he finds mafia or not? Then why didn't you claim?

Offline Budja

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2009, 14:26:09 »
... That makes the chance that you are lying 80%.
Nice little manipulation of numbers here. You had a 25% chance of randomly choosing the investigator and I must have appeared cop-like enough for you to take it. I'm still surprised you took it.
You mean the idea that the investigator should claim regardless of whether he finds mafia or not? Then why didn't you claim?
More my earlier day 1 idea. I was planning to claim today but I wanted to see peoples opinions on my idea first and whether it was actually the best one.

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2009, 14:40:59 »
Vote: Budja

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2009, 16:04:39 »
And thats a lynch.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2009, 16:06:55 »
With 6 players alive, it takes 4 votes to lynch.

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2009, 16:12:48 »
The rules:

No posting in the thread during night time. Any other means of communication is allowed, though.
Be active. Try to post at least once a day.
When a person receives over 50% of the votes, he is lynched. Even if someone unvotes before I notice. If the time runs out the person with the most votes will be lynched. If two or more players have the same number of votes, one will be selected randomly.
Almost forgot: No editing/deleting posts! Under no circumstances! Think twice before you post.
50% of 6 is 3. I just kind of assumed that we were playing by the rules in the OP. My bad.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2009, 16:21:24 »
Notice how it says over 50% of the votes.