• 35 Replies

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Mafia 5 sign up and discussion *CLOSED*
« on: August 15, 2009, 21:00:28 »

Hello, I will be your host for Mafia 5.
It may take a while before we start, we need to set some things clear first. I really want your opinion on how Mafia 5 should be.

So, I'm thinking about having a time limit for each day. Like, 48 hours. Or maybe 96 (4 days). I also want people to be more active and stop discussing every freaking little thingy, FoS here and there, and OMG HE VOTED ALREADY HE IS MAFIA.
If you sign up, you must be able to be online at least once a day.

Roles, now:

Town faction:
Townie: They're the same as ever, trying to vote mafia and other threats to their doom.
Investigator: They can scan one person per night to get innocent, guilty, or third party results.
Guardian: Protects one person from anything (even investigations, so that can prove problematic)
Town roleblocker: Prevents one person's action per night, whether it be a town power role, or a mafia power role.
Mafia faction:
Goon: They are basic killers who want the town overthrown.
Mafia roleblocker: See town roleblocker, except sided with mafia.

I'm also thinking about implementing a very special third party role, the SprünkelDünkel Knight.
Every night, the SDK chooses a target. There is a 50% chance a random action will happen to that player, and a 50% chance that a random target will be assigned (it can be anyone but the target and yourself).
The random actions are as following:
Investigate
Protect
Roleblock
Kill
Roleswap

Or maybe we could skip the randomness. The SDK chooses a target and a action, as simple as that. But that would maybe be too powerful? In that case we could let the SDK go last instead of first.

The SDK can't win. Therefore, the new roleswap action is necessary. Roleswap will swap your role with the targets, e.g. if your target is the guardian you will become the guardian and the target will become the SDK.
If the SDK is killed during the night, the killer will become the new SDK.
If the SDK is lynched during the day a random person will become the new SDK. Alternatively, the person making the final vote will become the SDK.
The SDK doesn't count as either townie or mafia, which means the town/mafia don't have to kill him to win.
Also, the SDK can't be roleblocked since it's action is the first one.

Ok **** that shit. This is is a copypasta from Mafia 2.0 on the old forum:

The Host
That is me. I don't participate in the game, I'm simply all-knowing, I always speak the truth, runs the game, and informs about the rules.

The Good
The goal for the 'good' citizens is to kill the members of the Mafia. If all members of the Mafia is dead, the good ones win!

Innocent
I will assign this identity to most citizens.

The Detective
I will assign this identity to one citizen. The detective can investigate one citizen each night, in order to find out the person's true identity.

The Doctor
I will assign this identity to one citizen. The doctor will chose a citizen to protect each night. If the Mafia tries to kill that specific citizen during that night, the doctor will prevent it.

The Bad
The goal for the bad citizens is to kill the good ones. When only the bad ones remains, they win!

The Don
I will assign this identity to one citizen. As the name implies, the Don is the leader of the Mafia. Each night the Don will let me know who to kill, and how the citizen should be killed. The Don also communicates with the other Mafia members through PM's (or any other method of choice), and takes suggestions about who to kill, and of course how.

Mafia Member
I will assign this identity to either one or two citizens (you'll not know the exact number). The Mafia members talks with the Don and makes suggestions about who to kill and how. If the Don is killed, one of the other Mafia members will take over the leadership and become the new Don. Also, if one of the members feels that the Don is totally ignoring him/her, the member can at any time PM me and tell me to kill the Don and take over the leadership. This is a last way out - normally you do NOT want to do this, since you'll be killing a strong ally.

No need to read that since there will be only 1 mafia member (or maybe no one at all, just the don), and I'm not going to let the member kill the don. That's just stupid.

Remember, this is just suggestions. I want your comments.

Player list:

Dataflashsabot
Razzorman
Salmoneous
shawnachu
Purple Pineapple
Bored2death
Budja
Lunar_Tick

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 19:57:13 by LimeLemon »
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Re: Mafia 5 sign up and discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 21:45:49 »
I sign up!

Also, what I previously posted (you asked for repost):
Masons? And some of the old Mafias had an 'anonymous messages' thing- anybody could PM the mod with a message and the mod would post it publicly without mentioning who wrote it. Kind of the equivalent of leaving an anonymous note in the town square or something. Could be useful for investigators (and, of course, Mafia) to leave tip-offs.

How about a Schizophrenic? They pick one player to 'target' each month, and will randomly protect that player, inspect that player, kill that player, or do nothing.

Also, if there's more than one cop/investigator, one could be insane (gets innocent results on Mafia and guilty results on town, but can still be helpful if he can realize this (I realize that due to the Salmoneous mixup, I may have been insane this round)).

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 21:56:04 »
I sign up.
If this is going to be like the old mafias, then its a first for me, which might be fun. It doesn't to me if its not though, since I like how we played the last two games.
I don't really care about the specifics of the rules, as long as its balanced.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 22:51:58 »
I'm definitely in.   ;)

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 23:51:05 »
So, I'm thinking about having a time limit for each day. Like, 48 hours. I also want people to be more active and stop discussing every freaking little thingy, FoS here and there, and OMG HE VOTED ALREADY HE IS MAFIA.
I'm in. Might lower the town's chances, but who cases.

Please don't vote me for that. :P
Lurk more.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 23:53:48 »
I'm in!

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 00:14:17 »
Dibs on hosting next mafia, btw.
Lurk more.

Offline Budja

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 02:48:51 »
I might be in depending on the final rules.

Quote from: Limelemon
So, I'm thinking about having a time limit for each day. Like, 48 hours.

I would extend that a little to 3-4 days. Still a lot shorter but allows a little discussion.

Quote from: Limelemon
I also want people to be more active and stop discussing every freaking little thingy, FoS here and there, and OMG HE VOTED ALREADY HE IS MAFIA.
So you don't want scumhunting :P. If the town acts like this, they will lose against a half-decent mafia.

For your style of game, power-roles are much more important. The town has a decent disadvantage with the quick pace and so the town must have more roles (but not too strong).
http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Roles
But don't overdo it.

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 04:59:10 »
Quote from: Mafia role list
Bomb
XD
Lurk more.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 13:24:43 »
Opinions on the Spr?nkelD?nkel Knight, please?

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Lunar_Tick

• "Do not disturb my circles"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 18:45:42 »
The SprunkelDunkel Knight? Oy vey!

This role increases acutely the amount of chance in the game. In my opinion bad.
This role decreases stability in the game. A SDK might disrupt a hard-earned mafia or own win, a true contest, and muck things up for the winning team at the last moment. This is unfair, no?
The SDK also must definately remain in play until the end of the game, whatever happens, which means that there is no possibility that the town, through their own cunning, may remove this threat to stability.

Being the SDK is also very harsh. There is a 1 in 5 chance you get to switch your role with something else, which is very very low. A regular game will end before the user with the SDK role will be able to play as a winnable role (assuming said user isn't lynched or killed). So I think most users with the SDK role will definitely lose interest in the game. I probably would.

I cannot imagine any non-chance based scenario where the town or the mafia might plan and then use (directly or indirectly) the SDK or information garnered from the SDK for their own strategic benefit.
It looks like the SDK is just a useless extra dice, a complicator and definitely maximises the amount of unknown variables in the game, therefore it suck pure strategy from the game.
By definition, this role cannot be balanced or cancelled out by another role, so it is not as if you're adding a mafia roleblocker but also a cop or something to balance it out.

So, even with major changes, I think the role of the SDK* should not be included into the game.

*By the role of the SDK I mean: the kind of role who gets a randomised night action and/or cannot win directly.

All that being said, I'm in. I have a previous engagement from the 28th to the 30th of August so I wont be able to post for those days at all probably. Now, if the game begins more than a week or so before the 28th then it'll probably be fine. However, if you accept me into the game you will have to take into account that restriction I have.

Also, having a discussion about Mafia roles/rules will basically result in you starting the game round about mid October. 'Tis ok to try something new out, but this game naint gonna start soon if you consult us all before you make your decision.
Νίψον ἀνομήματα μὴ μόναν ὄψιν

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 20:10:47 »
I think a regular Schizophrenic would be good.
They pick one player to 'target' each month, and will randomly protect that player, inspect that player, kill that player, or do nothing.
The player is town-aligned, can win (along with the town), and can be lynched/nightkilled.
The Standard Development Kit Spr?nkelD?nkel Knight is taking it too far, IMO.

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 21:40:04 »
I think the Spr?nkelD?nkel Knight sounds ok. But maybe if it were less random and more susceptible to lynch..
Lurk more.