[Platform/Puzzle] Portal: The Flash Version

• 9 Replies

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
[Platform/Puzzle] Portal: The Flash Version
« on: July 10, 2009, 05:38:30 »
For those of you that live in a closet and don't know what Poral is, it's a PC/XBox game where you control Chell, a test subject, who has a gun called the ASHPD. It can fire two portals that lead to one another. Using momentum, inertia, and other laws of physics, you can solve puzzles that are otherwise impossible. Also, you get to meet the Weighted Companion Cube! <3
Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)
Play Portal: The Flash Version.
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: [Platform/Puzzle] Portal: The Flash Version
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 06:31:09 »
Also, you get to meet the Weighted Companion Cube! <3

The Companion Cube exists in one level only and it has hearts on it because testers kept leaving the box behind when it was needed for the level's puzzles. It's just a box, identical to every other box in the game except for the hearts.

Anyway: I thought this game was pretty neat. However, being 2D greatly limits the range of puzzle possibilities, and the game gives you the gun right away. (The real Portal very carefully withholds the gun until it's clear the player understands all the basic mechanics of portals.) It was an interesting diversion, but on the whole I found it dissatisfying.

However I thought it was very noble that the game didn't mention cake at all (at least for as far in as I got- which was a good ways in, though I didn't beat the game). Or at least, I saw no such mentions. Maybe there were inter-level cutscenes that I skipped without knowing they were there. Whatever.
good bye

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 06:34:09 »
Also, you get to meet the Weighted Companion Cube! <3

The Companion Cube exists in one level only and it has hearts on it because testers kept leaving the box behind when it was needed for the level's puzzles. It's just a box, identical to every other box in the game except for the hearts.

Anyway: I thought this game was pretty neat. However, being 2D greatly limits the range of puzzle possibilities, and the game gives you the gun right away. (The real Portal very carefully withholds the gun until it's clear the player understands all the basic mechanics of portals.) It was an interesting diversion, but on the whole I found it dissatisfying.

However I thought it was very noble that the game didn't mention cake at all (at least for as far in as I got- which was a good ways in, though I didn't beat the game). Or at least, I saw no such mentions. Maybe there were inter-level cutscenes that I skipped without knowing they were there. Whatever.
Oh, yeah, the Companion Cube has hearts, the other ones don't. :( No Companion Cube...T^T
Spoiler: About the cake... (click to show/hide)
And yeah, I wish it was 3D...

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 06:37:35 »
If it were 3D then it would be a pointless Portal clone. As is it's an interesting if flawed adaption into a totally different kind of game.

Also: I hate cake and I hate that Portal attempted to motivate me with promises of cake. Which I hate.
good bye

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 06:44:11 »
If it were 3D then it would be a pointless Portal clone. As is it's an interesting if flawed adaption into a totally different kind of game.

Also: I hate cake and I hate that Portal attempted to motivate me with promises of cake. Which I hate.
Well, GLaDOS was kinda insane. :P

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 07:25:24 »
I hate cake and I hate that Portal attempted to motivate me with promises of cake. Which I hate.

WHAT. You don't like CAKE?! But.... but.......
Anyway, the game is fun, but I never beat it, it's just a tad too frustrating for me.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 08:46:24 »
I hate cake and I hate that Portal attempted to motivate me with promises of cake. Which I hate.

Anyway, the game is fun, but I never beat it, it's just a tad too frustrating for me.
If you wanna cheat to get the cake...
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 09:02:45 »
I've seen this game some time ago. I liked it, and the last 5-10 levels was pretty changelling (timing).

Offline djpokeboy

• *bigstar*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 13:57:35 »

If you wanna cheat to get the cake...
*sigh* the console... I LOVE THAT THING!!!
check out http://forums.wecreatestuff.com/index.php?/topic/774-console-commands/

Offline The stickman

• Lol wut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 13:24:48 »
I love this game. <3

And also the flash file, if anyone wants it.
http://portal.wecreatestuff.com/Portal_wcs.swf

My Stars::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, it's Zorc - That's me! - it's Zorc and pals!