Is there any free music creation software available?

• 27 Replies

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: Is there any free music creation software available?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 06:16:18 »
Many people would suggest trackers, however, I'm not a huge fan of those.
Trackers are good for more digital, video-game-esque sounds though.

It all depends on what samples you use. Ultimately, trackers aren't any more genre-inclined than any MIDI editor.
good bye

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 10:13:55 »

Thats not true. You can make any kind of music with a tracker, same as you can with Reason. I say this, because many people say, that programs like Reason and FL Studio are only for dance music due to their sequencer. This is not true either.

When it comes to a music tool you can simply say this: A tool is as good as what you can do with it. Its not a matter of what it can do, but how easy you can work with it. The actual difference in tools lie in its approach.

A sequencer gives you more control and easiness over automating a setting whereas a tracker gives you easiness over having your pattern overview so you can see what your song plays at that moment. I favor a tracker for composing in it for its overview, while I use EnergyXT (same sequencer Nifflas uses) to record what I play on the piano because then I record an entire piece and build on that in the same manner. EnergyXT however is not free either but for 45 euro its a great deal. You could try a demo of it (saving is disabled too).

Basically the question is: Do you want to record your playing of an instrument over midi? -> Sequencer. Do you want overview while you work on your song from start to finish building first the intro, complete that, then moving on etc... -> Tracker.

I'm not saying you can't do both in the other software, but the software is designed around that concept thus making it ideal to do it that way.

EDIT: Changed Renoise for Reason, as I meant that. tnx Razzorman
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 10:57:39 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 10:32:25 »
Thats not true. You can make any kind of music with a tracker, same as you can with Renoise. I say this, because many people say, that programs like Renoise and FL Studio are only for dance music due to their sequencer. This is not true either.
I think you are confusing Renoise with Reason. Renoise is a tracker. :P

Basically the question is: Do you want to record your playing of an instrument over midi? -> Sequencer. Do you want overview while you work on your song from start to finish building first the intro, complete that, then moving on etc... -> Tracker.
I use FL for both of those things. Really, it only depends on what interface you are most comfortable working with.
True, they both have their strengths and weaknesses, but in the end, it really just comes down to personal preferences.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 10:56:45 »
You're right. I meant Reason.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline StaticRomantic

• it's coming to get you
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 02:56:59 »

It all depends on what samples you use. Ultimately, trackers aren't any more genre-inclined than any MIDI editor.

Thats not true. You can make any kind of music with a tracker, same as you can with Reason. I say this, because many people say, that programs like Reason and FL Studio are only for dance music due to their sequencer. This is not true either.

Yes, that's true, but I've found trackers to be, for the most part, more complicated to use for larger projects. I'll  change my original post to sound less critical. I just find sequencers to be much more time-saving and resourceful. trackers are known for being relatively basic, but if you find them useful, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that.

and this isn't necessarily true. many (and I'd say most) sequencers, especially professional ones, allow you to review and change your song while working on it, including the individual midi notes, in a system similar to what trackers use.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 03:07:33 by StaticRomantic »

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 09:07:20 »
and this isn't necessarily true. many (and I'd say most) sequencers, especially professional ones, allow you to review and change your song while working on it, including the individual midi notes, in a system similar to what trackers use.
Ofcource, editing allows everything in both, but when you create something from scratch, a tracker gives you more overview than a sequencer. Thats my point.

In a tracker: If you want to create a full-length recording in a tracker, you first must create a lot of empty patterns and you have to guess how many you'll need. Then you can record using midi and hope for the best.

In a sequencer: If you want to create your song piece by piece (intro, then the next part, then the next part, etc...) you can't see what your other instruments are doing while working on one, especially when you already have like 8 different used. So you have to add the instrument, edit its pianoroll and enter notes, play the whole to see that you did it right, close the piano roll, edit another instrument's piano roll, make changes, switch back etc...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:11:08 by LPChip »

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 10:43:09 »
So, as I said, nothing is really better than the other. Now get back on topic. This thread isn't about trackers vs sequencers, its about free music creation software.
Speaking of, here is a list of 'em.

I could probably make the list longer, but I can't think of anything else right now.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 17:39:44 by Razzorman »
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline mcbpete

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 18:20:02 »
Two free  (well the latter is shareware but you don't have to pay for it if you don't want to - I have however  :D) pieces of music software I use almost daily:

Buzz - http://www.jeskola.net/buzz/

Reaper - http://www.reaper.fm/

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 19:24:36 »
I'm extremely late with this post, but if you want to make MIDI songs (what is wrong with you? :P), then Anvil Studio is free (unless you count the various fairly useless accessories) and very easy to use.  It's Windows-only, though.

Offline StaticRomantic

• it's coming to get you
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 20:08:49 »
mcbpete - Reaper is only free for a month  :/ you have to purchase a license after 30 days.
it looks interesting though, so i'm going to try it out.

Offline StaticRomantic

• it's coming to get you
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 20:20:55 »
also, very helpful website  :^^:
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/

has a list of almost all free/freeware/shareware/demo music programs out there, both trackers and sequencers.

and if you have a mac, (i don't) Ardour looks very good
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 20:22:35 by StaticRomantic »

Offline mcbpete

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 22:08:49 »
mcbpete - Reaper is only free for a month  :/ you have to purchase a license after 30 days.
You can still use it after 30 days though, just with a brief nag screen on boot....

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 17:31:31 »
Thanks guys, i'm using LMMS now.

Check out my tilesets!