How to walk of the right and appear in another screen?

• 9 Replies

Offline Duffking

• View Profile
How to walk of the right and appear in another screen?
« on: March 03, 2009, 20:15:40 »
Something I'm sure I've seen in other's levels is having a room on one map square (say x1000 y1000 for example), then when they walk off the right hand side, you appear in a square 5 to the right instead. How is this done? I've looked at other's levels in the editor and can't see any shifts, and checked the properties.

I ask, because I'm new to the editor and basically want a section where you make some simple jumps in a cave, reach the next screen to grab a powerup, then head back. When you return to the first screen (the one with the jumps), I want a few enemies to have appeared in there - so presumable I'd need 2 versions of the screen, one with enemies and one without, so if the screen is approached from the left it does not have enemies, but if from the right you get the one WITH enemies (and even better, if possible, once you've got the powerup, you ALWAYS get the one with enemies, no matter which side you enter from).

I've seen this done, but can't work out how....

Also, how do you do the 'walk off right side of screen, appear on left of same screen' trick?

Thanks guys :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 12:49:16 by LPChip »

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 20:41:57 »
As far as I know, that's done with Warps. I'm sure when you try the various resources that are linked/posted in the stickied topics in this forum, you'll find more information about them. :)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Duffking

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 20:49:59 »
Thanks, I scanned the little manual thing but didn't spot anything. I was under the impression that warps were placed like shifts though? I'll check it out anyhow.

EDIT: Just watched a video, I see with warps now! I the manual said they had to be placed so I assumed they worked liked shifts and were triggered by walking over them. Going to  give this a go now.

EDIT 2: Ugh, can't get it right :( Managed to make it do something not ordinary but still can't get my head round it. I'm currently on x998 y1001, and the variant of the room I want to visit is on x999y1002?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 21:15:36 by Duffking »

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 19:29:31 »
EDIT 2: Ugh, can't get it right :( Managed to make it do something not ordinary but still can't get my head round it. I'm currently on x998 y1001, and the variant of the room I want to visit is on x999y1002?

Assuming you want to warp when exiting the room at x998y1001 from the right, you set the Right Warp to Y +1 (i.e. while by going right you would normally end up at x999y1001, putting Y + 1 will make you go one room lower). I hope it's clear enough.

And, about warping only on certain conditions, you can use Flags, which are a bit more complicated, but very useful; unfortunately I never use the Manager, so I can't help with the details.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 00:58:18 »
Ahh, flags.  <3 First, put bank 0, object 20 anywhere on the screen. Anywhere. Then, go to "3rd Party Tools" and then "Knyt Stories Manager (Current Screen)" If you want to go off the left of the screen and go, let's say, 2 rooms over, check the box near the top of the screen that says, "Warp Left." Then, put a 2 in the "Map X" field. Another way to do this is put the X position and the Y position in the "Target X" and "Target Y" field of your destination. It takes a while to get used to, but you'll get it eventually. ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 01:07:58 by Pumpkinbot »
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: How to walk of the right and appear in another screen?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 12:49:51 »
I've changed the topic title, cus "Quick questions" really is a bad title. No one will ever find it, and on some forums, these topics are even not being read at all.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Duffking

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 17:35:52 »
Thanks guys, I got it in the end. I then decided to use a shift anyway  :oops:

I'll make use of this stuff later on in my level I think. I don't suppose there's a way you can copy screens en masse is there? I noticed that for multi-difficulty levels it's basically a shift that switches between an easy/hard version of a map. Was that done by cloning screens as you go, or doing the whole lot afterwards?

LPChip - I'll keep that in mind for the inevitable next time I get stuck. Or I could just use this thread instead.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 19:02:32 »
You can copy/paste screens by pressin Ctrl+C in the screen you want to copy, and then Ctrl+V In an empty screen. There is no way to copy more than one though. :/
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 19:24:59 »
...wouldn't the KSLC copy screens en masse?
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 20:10:54 »
LPChip - I'll keep that in mind for the inevitable next time I get stuck. Or I could just use this thread instead.
Please create a new topic. :) Otherwise its going offtopic. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex