[SPOILER] KS Cheat option

• 88 Replies

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
Re: [SPOILER] KS Cheat option
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2009, 22:21:01 »
The Explore Challenge is difficult in the same way that I Wanna Be The Guy is difficult.

This is to say, it's a level built around the idea of using brute force to solve it.  It has a couple of (surprisingly good) puzzles and that's it for the part that's actually challenging; the rest of the level is just made to be annoying, or, at the very least, unfair.
It's quite a good method for concealing a cheat, since the people who are unlikely to use the cheat much anyway are going to play through the level and get it the "fair" way, and the people who are going to use it to cheat their way through every level they play are going to either look in the level editor or just Google for it.

EDIT: No, seriously, I figure that's the best way to hide a cheat.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 18:47:59 by minmay »

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2009, 11:35:54 »
I hate the cheat so much. People can just use the cheat on hard parts in any level to get past. It feels so unrewarding to do a hard level and even pointless to do an extremely hard level.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2009, 13:59:22 »
I hate the cheat so much. People can just use the cheat on hard parts in any level to get past. It feels so unrewarding to do a hard level and even pointless to do an extremely hard level.
You aren't making the hard levels for that audience then. The people who'd rather cheat past a hard part in a level wouldn't enjoy playing that level anyways.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Budja

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2009, 15:00:56 »
You aren't making the hard levels for that audience then. The people who'd rather cheat past a hard part in a level wouldn't enjoy playing that level anyways.

Exactly.

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2009, 17:41:06 »
I think the Cheat is great for testing out levels (which i think was the original use of the cheat)

i think it really helps out if you make a big lunatic level instead of having to painstakingly do the challenges over and over again or waste time closing the window and re opening to the screen you want to test in the editor, it really saves up time

something that could be done is an option where the creator of the level decides if the cheat is available in the level or not, or even what screens the cheat would be available on  :shifty:

Just my thoughts on the cheat :P2

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2009, 22:05:19 »
I disagree about having an option to enable/disable the cheat. If you want to give support in your level for being able to teleport anywhere, use shifts. If you want to prevent people from cheating, don't make a level, or atleast make it good enough so people would not want to cheat. (a level that is too hard because it is based entirelly around luck, will quickly make people cheat. A level that is hard but keeps you challenged, will most likelly keep the player so much interested that he/she doesn't even want to use the cheat.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2009, 22:20:13 »
Im just not going to use it and in a few days ill forget it exists and ill be like "Darrr i wish ther waz sum cheat thinger duhhh"

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2009, 19:57:35 »

Yeah, I also think the level editor just sucks. You can open levels and look for hints, seriously! <_<
It also sucks that the game has savestates - you can modify them.  :/

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2009, 23:21:04 »
Lol, it's not like you HAVE to cheat. You do it of your own free will so why are you complaining? If you don't want to cheat then don't.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2010, 22:55:52 »
I just found/tried the cheat, after years of playing KS I finally see the much debated cheat... I found it hideous, asif it was undermining the very fabric of the game, but as a level designer I'm sure it will help me out in a few places.

Speaking of using the editor to cheat, in the past I have suggested being able to lock levels with a password, to preserve the mysteries within (this was a different game/community, though), but that idea as shot down and started a whole debate about open-source and information wanting to be free. *shrugs*. I just thought it would make the levels seem more mysterious if you couldn't look at them in the editor... But then there is the rather embarassing issue of being locked out of your own level...

Offline LB

• I failed the Turing test.
    • View Profile
    • LB-Stuff
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2010, 04:01:54 »
Right now I am making a level that is really hard to cheat at all in it; the various screens are scattered all over the place hundreds of tiles apart, making it a pain to go and find them/edit the save file/ect. Is this a good idea?

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2010, 04:56:19 »
Nothing a good old *insert cheat code here + *insert how to use secret cheat here cann't handle. ;) Not that I would do that.
Lurk more.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2010, 14:29:03 »
The cheat, level editor and simple save games format are great! They let you play buggy levels, find secrets that you won't find another way. Finding secrets with level editor is almost as enjoyable as finding them the fair way. I don't get what mystery do you want? Isn't it better to let players experience all the layers of your level instead of the only ones they could find by chance?

Yeah, I also think the level editor just sucks. You can open levels and look for hints, seriously! <_<
It also sucks that the game has savestates - you can modify them.  :/
It also sucks that the game has a screen where you can choose level - it would be better if the player had to beat levels in the sequence Looki and Salmoneous want him to ;)

Right now I am making a level that is really hard to cheat at all in it; the various screens are scattered all over the place hundreds of tiles apart, making it a pain to go and find them/edit the save file/ect. Is this a good idea?
IMO, that's a wasting of both your time and time of players that would like to cheat.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 14:32:31 by GrayFace »

Offline LB

• I failed the Turing test.
    • View Profile
    • LB-Stuff
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2010, 20:36:46 »
What does "IMO" mean?

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2010, 20:39:56 »
In My Opinion  C)p
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot