Mysterious transparency

• 16 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Mysterious transparency
« on: July 31, 2009, 16:56:27 »
Help!  :S I have this tile that seems to have a transparent line along the edge that I can't remove, no matter what I do in my graphics program (which tells me there is no transparency there, arrgh.) I have no idea how it got to be transparent in the first place, as I made it exacly the same way I made its 'mirror' image (the other side of the house) - which does *not* have this mysterious transparent line! But what's more important, everything I've tried to remove the transparency has failed, and I really need that line to be black, not transparent!

I'm attaching the tile to this post; maybe someone can take a look at it in their graphics program, and possibly even fix this?

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: Mysterious transparency
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 17:12:52 »
There is no transparent line.

Incidentally, if this involves a custom object thing, you probably ought to know that with custom objects, pure black becomes transparent when the object is in-game.
good bye

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 17:32:07 »
There is no transparent line.

Incidentally, if this involves a custom object thing, you probably ought to know that with custom objects, pure black becomes transparent when the object is in-game.

Ahhhh. That explains it.

Still, that makes it even stranger that this problem only occurs with this one tile, since nearly *all* of the wall/window COs I've made from that tileset have that black line along the edge, and yet only in this one does it show up as transparent in the game.  o.O

I suppose it's possible the black of that particular tile is 'purer' than that of the others... I'll try to replace it with a very dark grey...

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 17:45:35 »
Right, after some more testing, I have more data:

The right half of the wall actually *does* have the transparency as well. However, the window tiles, both left and right, don't - although they also have a black line along the edge. But that doesn't show up as transparent in the game. Whatever I did different with these window tiles I need to do with the wall tiles, too... Anybody has any idea what it may have been? Because I don't *remember* doing anything different. :sad:

I'm attaching the window tiles and the right-side wall tile here, if anyone would like to take a look in a graphics program or in KS or something...

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 18:19:09 »
Maybe, since the windows have actual transparency in them, it doesn't treat the black as transparent.
good bye

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 18:50:44 »
The wall may have indexed colors. That might happen because it doesn't have real transparency. MMF2 would therefore treat the black as the transparent color because a real one doesn't exist (in contrast, the windows have real transparency so MMF2 uses that instead of black- it's confusing). I guess the easiest suggestion is to resave it as a non-indexed image (which may or not cause this effect, I'm only guessing) or, turn the 'black' to nearly black (just one value off of black would work, even, and no one but you would ever know).

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 21:20:30 »
Speaking from experience, the CO in KS must have 0,0,0 as transparency. If you import an object with a 0,0,0 part of it, therefore, it will become transparent. Unless, you have alpha channel, in which case every color is visible, even the transparent parts. You can't see them, because their opacity is so high.
Lurk more.

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 21:38:31 »
...which is basically what BloxMaster said. 9_9
o__  o

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 22:01:43 »
With a different proposed solution..
Lurk more.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 22:07:56 »
Tried the replacement thing, and it worked. :-)

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 22:47:40 »
Tried the replacement thing, and it worked. :-)

You're not supposed to tell anyone... now everyone knows, making this statement false:

I guess the easiest suggestion is to resave it as a non-indexed image (which may or not cause this effect, I'm only guessing) or, turn the 'black' to nearly black (just one value off of black would work, even, and no one but you would ever know).
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 02:39:30 »
I happen to know Nifflas used a lot of "nearly black" in probably half his sprites.
Lurk more.

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 20:30:40 »
Like 1,1,1 black?

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 20:34:49 »
No, more of a reddish-black.

Check out my tilesets!

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 21:18:02 »
You can clearly see the 8,0,0 (default MMF black) if you put one of these sprites on a pure black background.
Lurk more.