[Environmental/Maze] Quilt Trip

• 2 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
[Environmental/Maze] Quilt Trip
« on: July 29, 2009, 01:23:27 »
It seems that, inspired by Alex Silva's latest tileset, I've adopted another level idea. Not much of a concept yet: Juni is sucked into the patterns of her grandma's quilt and has to find her way out. (Believe it or not, the idea came first, the title pun came later. *g*)

This will be a small, find-your-way-around-while-acquiring-powerups type of level, but not very challenging (because I don't want to build anything that I couldn't manage playing myself!) There will be no enemies, and not even any water. (No rain either! Heh.)

Just one screen so far, but I'm having fun with this, so I've decided to announce that I'm working on this despite it being in the very earliest stages yet.

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental/Maze] Quilt Trip
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 01:32:33 »
Whooooahhhh, the colors! :nuts: I love them, it's refreshing to see something so daring! If I may make a suggestion, have the patterens that are solid be the solid ground throughout the level. If it changes it will be confusing.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental/Maze] Quilt Trip
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 01:47:25 »
Whooooahhhh, the colors! :nuts: I love them, it's refreshing to see something so daring! If I may make a suggestion, have the patterens that are solid be the solid ground throughout the level. If it changes it will be confusing.

Well, this is in a very early stage yet, so I don't know what I will do eventually, but so far, the one-square wide parts are 'non-solid', and all the rest is solid. So it's not really connected to certain patterns, but there *is* consistency regarding path width.

However, I may have to reconsider this, since if I want to include some jumps and so on, I need some passages to be wider... Then again, if they start out as one-square wide passages, then widen for the jump area while retaining the same pattern for the time being, and then go back to one-square width after the jump area, that might work without being too confusing... But I'll have to experiment with this quite a bit, I'm sure. :-)

This idea actually goes back to an old childhood fantasy of mine: I would get very engrossed in oriental rugs and the like, and imagine that they were in fact maps of places, or even places in their own right...

ETA: Plus, it's a nice change of pace from my other two levels, which were created under a 'let's make this look as 'natural' as possible' dogma. *g*