Fish obedience?

• 20 Replies
Fish obedience?
« on: July 24, 2009, 00:09:15 »
Probably a really dumb question, but how the hell do I get the fish to stop flying through walls and things? I can't seem to get them to stay in the water

Offline NESgamer190

• X-com's nightmare: Chryssalid.
    • View Profile
Re: Fish obedience?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 00:23:39 »
I hate to break it, but you build the level to accomodate the fish, so unless your level design won't be usable, that's the easiest solution I can think of, which is rebuilding the screen.  (easier still is to exclude fish, but I doubt people are that lazy.)
Unretired.
http://nesgamer7190.deviantart.com/ (My DeviantArt Account.  Behold my not too good artistics.)
  (Mafia 9 pie maniac)

I really have nothing going for me for creative signatures.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 13:35:37 »
Nop, even the bouncy KSA yellow square can't stop those fishes.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 16:00:44 »
Nothing can stop the fishes! Evil fishes from hell!

May I just take this opportunity to say that I love this thread's title? It sounds like a new, crazy sport for pet owners...

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 16:45:35 »

May I just take this opportunity to say that I love this thread's title? It sounds like a new, crazy sport for pet owners...
XD

yes, unfortunately, you must accomodate the fish because...what did salmoneous say again? oh yeah, they're
Evil fishes from hell!
XD
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 19:22:25 »
Nop, even the bouncy KSA yellow square can't stop those fishes.
Fish is the plural of fish.
Lurk more.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 19:58:32 »
Fish is the plural of fish.

Unless you're Gollum.

;-)

To get this thread back on topic (somewhat): so, the only way to use the fish objects properly is to use them in a screen that has nothing *but* fish and water? But what would the use of such a screen be, if there's not even ground to walk on, or a tube to climb through or whatever? I know I've seen fish used in screens that also had walkable ground of one sort or another, and I don't remember the fish going through the ground there...

ETA: I should experiment before I ask stupid questions. So, after some fish watching, I see that the fish have a certain programmed range of motion... you put them high enough above the ground, or far enough from whatever climbable/walkable structure you want, and you're fine.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 20:07:02 by Hmpf »

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 20:22:56 »
Something else you could do is, surprisingly enough, completely ignore the fact that they go over solid tiles. Place them on layer 6 or 7, and it looks like the fish are swimming in front whatever underwater passage Juni is in. Since it's assumed that you play the game from the side, and thus are seeing into buildings, this doesn't actually detract from the look of the level. :)

Offline AhhCobras

• We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 23:26:04 »
Thanks for this topic, I was wondering about this too. Just took them out since I couldn't find any way to stop it, or animals from wandering off.

BTW, fishes is plural when speaking of more than one species of fish, I think there's a couple different ones.  ;)

Simply start at the beginning, go on till you reach the end.... then stop.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 23:55:56 »
wouldn't it then be species of fish?
Lurk more.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 00:20:35 »
Something else you could do is, surprisingly enough, completely ignore the fact that they go over solid tiles. Place them on layer 6 or 7, and it looks like the fish are swimming in front whatever underwater passage Juni is in. Since it's assumed that you play the game from the side, and thus are seeing into buildings, this doesn't actually detract from the look of the level. :)

Keep in mind that this does look pretty strange under certain circumstances.  (In particular, the "background" fish should never be used in this manner.)  The typical solution is still to build your screens around the fish paths, something that usually isn't actually very difficult.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 03:56:59 »
Do invisible tiles with white lines across them work?

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 03:59:15 »
No.
Quote from: Nifflas
Fishes are just path followers, they always travel exactly the same path.
Lurk more.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 04:30:14 »
You could use custom objects to make it look like the fish are swimming behind stuff.
good bye