KS Tilesets made by Oft99 (FRESH UPLOADS as of September 2020!)

• 56 Replies

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
Re: Five KS Tilesets made by Oft99 (Yes, I made another :D )
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 20:05:13 »
I think he means that the colors are a bit too... Not smooth. Hard to say exactly how to fix it, maybe a little 'blending' but I don't know. Great tilesets by the way! I disagree on the brightness 'issue'.
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline Oft99

• Known elsewhere as "EgoNaut"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 22:37:54 »
At first I didn't like the newest one because it seemed redundant, but now that I look at it more closely I see that it's an interesting mix between Poisonous Forest and Not Quite Dr. Cliche's Lab, which could be quite useful, especially for people who are tired of both.

Oh, and thanks by the way because that was more or less exactly the effect I was aiming for. You may also notice elements of the A Strange Dream "lab" tileset in there as well with the background pipes. This may be more apparant in the indoor sections with this tileset that you'll see in my current level project, although I'm not sure for now because I'm not quite at those sections yet.
Of course, there are my own ideas in there as well, though! That fluffy red stuff that looks like dense treetops is actually piles of waste material. This whole tileset it infact themed arround an area of forest that has become the waste disposal pit of a city that is built somewhere above it. That'll be it's purpose in my level, anyway.
My tilesets (fresh uploads as of September 2020):
https://nifflas.lp1.nl/index.php?topic=1407.0

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2010, 13:36:44 »
Very nice.  The round-edged squares for use with the pipes is very hand and needed.  I also love the large pipe set up.  Handy!  :)  Also, (and here I'm just being anal) I like the layout with the grass to the left instead of on top.  It is a cleaner, more orderly tileset that way, imho. 

The colors do seem a bit punchy to me too.  The orange red looks very "out of the tube" to use an art class term.  In other words, it feels like a clean and freshly made, manufactured color rather than a dirty, poisoned surface in an industrial waste.  I would add a dingy tone that contrasts with the orange/red, like an almost nasty green/brown.  This would give you a tarnished looked that would nicely contrast with the radioactive bright colors.  Nothing brings out a bright color like a dingy contrasting one. 

The red bumps on these blocks remind me of legos.  I love legos.  :)

Red stuff is waste not plant?  I think it looks a little too much like plant then.  I never would have seen it as anything other than a plant.  Again, I think it is partially due to looking too vibrant to be a waste product. 

Your idea for how you will use this sounds really cool.  Ever read Battle Angel Alita?

Offline Oft99

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 16:45:16 »
Very nice.  The round-edged squares for use with the pipes is very hand and needed.  I also love the large pipe set up.  Handy!  :)  Also, (and here I'm just being anal) I like the layout with the grass to the left instead of on top.  It is a cleaner, more orderly tileset that way, imho.  

The colors do seem a bit punchy to me too.  The orange red looks very "out of the tube" to use an art class term.  In other words, it feels like a clean and freshly made, manufactured color rather than a dirty, poisoned surface in an industrial waste.  I would add a dingy tone that contrasts with the orange/red, like an almost nasty green/brown.  This would give you a tarnished looked that would nicely contrast with the radioactive bright colors.  Nothing brings out a bright color like a dingy contrasting one.  

The red bumps on these blocks remind me of legos.  I love legos.  :)

Red stuff is waste not plant?  I think it looks a little too much like plant then.  I never would have seen it as anything other than a plant.  Again, I think it is partially due to looking too vibrant to be a waste product.  

Your idea for how you will use this sounds really cool.  Ever read Battle Angel Alita?

Thank you for this feedback! :D I might re-design the waste material and make it that dirty, dingy colour you talked about. That would make it more recognizable as waste and would bring out the bright colours too, like you said. Does that sound like a good idea? (I won't delete the old version of the tileset in the process though, it'll just be an alternate.)

And no, I haven't read Battle Angel Alita. What's it about?

EDIT: How's this? I thought I'd have your say before I release it:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 00:14:35 by Oft99 »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2010, 12:58:27 »
That might be enough, depending on the screen, but I might either make it darker, or  I would do some mottling using a dark and light tone in a simple pattern, maybe one which hints at the junkness of the pile.  You might also make some alternate yellow and orange/red blocks which have a smear or scrape of industrial waste on them.

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
    • vdweller's freeware games
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2010, 13:07:03 »
Those tilesets are very nice! You know how to adjust colors :)

Offline Oft99

• View Profile
Made an update of "Desert Temple" with more distinguishable foreground tiles and brighter sand that matches the waterfalls more. The old version of the tileset is still available for those who prefer it.

Offline Oft99

• View Profile
It's hard to get away from that black outline, isn't it?

Ocasionally, yeah.  :(

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
There is nothing wrong with having a black outline for your ground tiles.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
These tilesets make me feel CREATIVE :nuts:
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile

There is nothing wrong with having a black outline for your ground tiles.

Well, no, I suppose there is no moral wrongness to it.  It serves the function of telling you where the ground is, like a black outline used by a bad sketch artist tells you what is foreground and background.  There is no cosmic evil to it, it just is a simple, cliche, perhaps even a boring solution that requires a lot of work to avoid.

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
Nifflas' style in Knytt Stories was to use black outlines, so I think the black outlines fit.
o__  o

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
The new tileset looks great. I must admit that I liked the Desert Temple tileset without the black foreground lines (it looks smoother in my eyes), but I guess I can just use the non-updated one.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 15:54:46 by Pick Yer Poison »

Offline Antikythera

• The Great Machine.
    • View Profile
These look very awesome! My favorite is the Desert Temple one; I'm going to use it in my level "Menagerie." I, too, prefer the outline-less version.
Menagerie - 25%
Skyline Spires - 5%
A Golden Hymn - 0%

The Great Machine, Antikythera, which grinds the blood of men into history.