File corrupt after compressing?

• 11 Replies

Offline Ariana

• View Profile
File corrupt after compressing?
« on: July 22, 2009, 23:37:50 »
Whenever I compress my level into a .knytt.bin file, and try installing it, it gives me "error: file corrupt". I've tried uploading it to Knytt Levels and it says it's not recognized as a Knytt Stories level. If it helps, I'm running the program through WINE, could there be a problem with WINE handling the compression?

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
Re: File corrupt after compressing?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 00:02:15 »
Maybe, but I shouldn't say anything. I'm not that experienced with linux.
It could just be that you are using uncommon punctuation marks, or that your level is not saved as a .knytt.bin file.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Ariana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 00:33:51 »
I thought symbols in the name might be a problem at first too, but I tried simply naming it "x" and it still doesn't work. And I'm positive it's a .knytt.bin file.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 01:02:31 »
I think it does have to do with WINE+compression issues therein...If I remember correctly, someone wrote a program that extracts the files properly. I could be wrong, but maybe you can find something regarding WINE problems with the [search].

[ahh, vague memories... X)]
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Ariana

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 01:27:54 »
I've tried searching around on Google and the forums, and can't find anything. In the Wine app database it even says they didn't test the level editor.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 10:00:54 »
I don't remember where that program was, but if you have Java you can try my editor, it has a functional level compressor and extractor.

http://nifflas.ni2.se/forum/index.php?topic=815.0
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 10:28:28 »
Is the problem really that the files can't be extracted properly when trying to install the level, or that the compression itself doesn't work? If the former is the case, I've found the programme Miss Paula is talking about: Just search the old forum for a topic called "anyone gotten knytt stories to run with wine under linux?" - the last post contains the link to the programme and a short description of how to use it (make sure that the .knytt.bin file is in the Worlds folder!). If the compression doesn't work - well, I have the same problem, I'm running KS on a Mac and can't compress levels in the normal editor either, although the Java editor worked wonders ;)

Offline Ariana

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 16:54:30 »
Thank you guys, the Java editor worked! Although I'm having some more problems with the editor now and I'm probably just going to start from scratch.

Offline Ariana

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 03:31:09 »
Ok, sorry for the double post, but now the Java editor refuses to load my level. I have it loaded in the regular editor and it works fine, but I get "I/O Error loading the level" in the Java editor. So I can't load it into the Java editor to compress it, or compress it normally, am I pretty much screwed?

EDIT: I got a friend to compress the files for me :D Anyway, that's my temporary solution, hopefully I can get a real one soon.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 08:41:30 by Ariana »

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 12:31:13 »
Ok, sorry for the double post, but now the Java editor refuses to load my level. I have it loaded in the regular editor and it works fine, but I get "I/O Error loading the level" in the Java editor. So I can't load it into the Java editor to compress it, or compress it normally, am I pretty much screwed?

I couldn't do much testing on that editor, sorry; I wonder if you could send me the level that you couldn't open in the Java editor, so that I might see where the problem is. Thank you in advance.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Ariana

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 18:33:39 »
Ok, will do.

EDIT: I am actually having more problems, most websites are failing to upload my file, because of Flash Player freezing everything when I try to upload something.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 19:24:38 by Ariana »

Offline Ariana

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 05:33:09 »
So should I just send him a PM?