Feedback thread for levels that don't have threads on the new forum

• 2 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Right. I'm a feedback-giving person, usually, and I've played some 200 or so KS levels and loved some of them rather a lot, so I would love to tell their makers so. Since there are no threads for some of these levels, here's a thread to collect this kind of feedback. Feel free to use it, too, if you would like to give feedback for a level that doesn't have a thread on the new forum! And yeah, I know I could probably reach at least a few of those level makers via PM, but this way, the thread can double as a recs thread which may be useful to other newbies.

(A note on availability: all of these levels are still available either on the old forum, which you can access by adding a "2" behind "forum" in the URL of the new forum, or in the archive. That's where I found them, just a few weeks ago.)

I'm going to do this one or two levels at a time, because otherwise it will just get a bit too overwhelming.

So... today I would like to tell Imaddo, if he's still lurking, that his level "Another Journey" is the bee's knees. :-) His "Knytt on the Moon" seems to be the more well-known - and I enjoyed that, too, most definitely! - but for some reason "Another Journey" captured me even more. Or maybe "enchanted" is the right word, what with all the references to fantasy classics such as The Lord of the Rings, The Wizard of Oz, the Narnia series, Alice in Wonderland...

This is a very rewarding environmental, although it may at first seem a bit drab because the caverns look pretty much like caverns could be expected to look in a KS equivalent of the real world - brown and black are the dominant colours. What makes this so rewarding is less eye-candy as such - although the above-ground nighttime village is quite pretty - than the many little nooks and crannies waiting to be discovered:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

To some degree, this has made me reconsider how I want to build my own environmental. I would love to give it a similar sense of detail.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
I just replayed Shawnachu's "Natural", which in fact I already told Shawnachu I liked in a PM a while ago, but since this thread is also supposed to be useful to newbies looking for recs, I'd like to mention it here anyway.

"Natural" in my mind is somehow paired with Razzorman's "Lost in the Storm", as these are the two levels I keep returning to whenever I wish to take a virtual walk in the park. "Natural", as the name says, is focused on environments that look somewhat natural, and makes very good use of some of the nicest tilesets available for natural landscapes. It has a nice amount of variety and is just large enough to lose yourself in long enough to take a short but relaxing break from some more taxing activity (in my case that was preparing for final exams). The only thing I dislike about it is that it ends so abruptly. I want to know what's beyond that cliff! I mean, the info screen promised a neverending map! ;-)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback thread for levels that don't have threads on the new forum
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 20:45:57 »
Did I mention that it's okay for other people to use this thread, too? I figured it would be nice to have a place where people could talk about the older levels...

Okay, more new praise for old stuff:

I recently played "Mashu Prapa" by, err, the Artist Formerly Known as Elder (aka Salmoneus). I'd seen it mentioned on various 'best of' lists, but hadn't been able to find it, due to being under the mistaken impression that the search feature at the old forum didn't work anymore. I was disabused of that notion recently, and promptly found the level tucked away in, essentially, its own separate little board (I suppose that board actually had other stuff as well, before the forum crash? It's the "Really Custom Levels" board.)

So. "Mashu Prapa" is a great exploration level with some moderate amount of challenge. It creates a world that feels very coherent, and minimalist in a Nifflas kind of way, i.e. without feeling empty or boring - this coherence and minimalism are the main strengths of Elder's/Salmoneus' levels, judging on the basis of what I've seen so far.

It's also very green - another thing that seems typical of Salmoneus' levels *g* (see also: "Flood", "Sunshire"). Even Juni herself has a green tinge here... I like levels that feel kind of natural, so a green level like this is just perfect for me.

I found the music mildly irritating on occasion, but on the whole, playing this level was a relaxing and pleasant experience, which I enjoyed very much, and plan to repeat sometime.