Custom objects upgrade

• 21 Replies

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
Re: Custom objects upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 23:41:48 »
So far no one has made an engine for that to my knowledge. However Nifflas said if someone makes one he likes, it will be included in a new version of KS. So I suppose it would be possible.

Check out my tilesets!

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 06:02:17 »
Inspired by this topic, I set out to make one. Unfortunately there are fundamental flaws, and I can't fix them. (The death includes transparent pixels)
Lurk more.

Offline inky84

• It's a Gem. Is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 10:01:16 »
you can always use shifts (I try out heaps of custom enemies in tests)

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 22:28:03 »
Custom (death) objects like this would allow for pixel perfect jumping.
Lurk more.

Offline inky84

• It's a Gem. Is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 08:02:48 »
No. You cant always use shifts. With shifts everything gets laggy and it wouldnt with a custom object.
I'm talking about combining custom objects AND shifts.
(e.g, move to a certain point and it will shift, doing another animation, and moving the death object)

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 06:52:45 »
it cant be that hard to do would it?? mind you i dont have any programming knowledge but it would be like edge detection in a tileset like "if player touches CO 1 kill player" somehting like that? if it is as easy as i think it is you could even make solid CO's and moving platforms etc.

Im sure if we got some good programming people on the job they could do it, right?

Sorry if that made no sense, its mostly my misunderstanding of programming XD

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 06:56:21 »
Maybe some programmers here could get together with a topic under collaborations? Please?
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 03:48:11 »
it cant be that hard to do would it?? mind you i dont have any programming knowledge but it would be like edge detection in a tileset like "if player touches CO 1 kill player" somehting like that?
Yeah.. exactly what I did. The custom object death was no different than a rectangle of kill squares.
Lurk more.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 10:15:35 »
Making solid Custom Objects could be done, but it might be a bit heavy; you can calculate the collision mask the same way you do for Layer 3 tiles, but they're static. A dynamic collision mask that isn't hard-coded into the game could indeed be too slow for use. I don't know much about MMF though.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline LightningEagle

• Who's the wacko, you say?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 23:30:32 »
Making solid Custom Objects could be done, but it might be a bit heavy; you can calculate the collision mask the same way you do for Layer 3 tiles, but they're static. A dynamic collision mask that isn't hard-coded into the game could indeed be too slow for use. I don't know much about MMF though.
But concider, solid custom objects would be a ticket to wallswim hell. If you stand on a custom object and it changes shape BLAM! wallswim your way.
We'd have to be very cautious with solid custom objects. Remember: a jumping critter isn't really "jumping", it's merely disappearing from point A and reappearing at point B.
Meaning if Juni was to jump onto a solid CO critter which jumped, the solid critter would (in a way) "teleport" to Juni's location when jumping. No better than moving Juni into layer3 tiles with a shift.

Of course animation is the only case where this would be a problem but a CO without animation would be better of as a tileset. That is unless you need tiles on top of Juni, but then again it wouldn't be required to be solid.

My point: solid CO's will probably never be.  :/

CO's which can kill on touch should be theoretically possible though, I guess
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 23:33:02 by LightningEagle »

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 23:54:21 »
Couldn't Juni simply be moved automatically when the object is?

Offline LightningEagle

• Who's the wacko, you say?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 00:06:29 »
Couldn't Juni simply be moved automatically when the object is?
I believe you would need some pretty complex algorithms to account for movement directions of the CO, Juni's placement and other solid objects around the map. Imagine you had 3 CO's around the same place all animated and solid. That could easily give some problematic situations I suppose.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 00:53:02 »
I think we'd only need solid custom objects for killing things. Maybe adding an option to the .ini file like:
Code: [Select]
[Custom Object 1]
Image=Cactus.png
Init Animto=5
Imagesolid=True
Init Animspeed=100
Tile Height=48
Tile Width=24
Offset Y=6

Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)