[Environmental][Small] Darkness

• 30 Replies

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
[Environmental][Small] Darkness
« on: July 18, 2009, 12:22:49 »
That's right, I made another level already! :D Darkness is a small level which is Environmental, but be warned there are a couple tricky jumps in it. It also has endings. Two, to be precise. The story is never explained; I personally have no idea what the heck's going on. What the endings mean is up to you.

A word of warning: this game features an anti-cheating security system. I'm not even kidding. Just you try. :shifty:

Also, some of the images in the screenshots may seem hard to see, but trust me when I say they are clearer when you play the level, especially if you play it in full screen.

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)

Download:
Mediafire
Sendspace

EDIT: Fixed a void screen.
EDIT 2: Fixed a game-breaking bug.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:13:55 by Pick Yer Poison »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Re: [Easy][Playground] Darkness
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 14:28:07 »
Nice! Reminds me of the dark place in Outer Reaches, which was one of the prettiest parts! Downloading now...

Y'know what, if it's not too difficult I won't *have* to cheat! ;-)

As for making hard levels cheat-proof: have some pity with the crap players, folks! There are some hard levels I want to play because they're pretty; if they're cheat-proof, I'm effectively prevented from playing them, because it's not a matter of laziness with me: I really can't manage some challenges! (This off-topic announcement brought to you by the League of Crap Players. ;-))

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 14:51:13 »
Right; started playing, didn't finish yet because I don't have the time right now, but
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
and I must say, I think this level is even better, aesthetically, than Outer Reaches! The different 'looks' you've found for the different areas are all equally pretty, and despite the differences it has a very 'unified' feel so far. Very, very nice. Some nice music choices, as well (but I also really liked some of the music in Outer Reaches. I may have to check out those artists, as I still have no idea where to find music for my own level...)

Offline Cosine

• func_dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 17:19:31 »
Very nice looking. I would get both endings, but I can't find the yellow key. I've even been searching through the editor for it. >_<

EDIT: I hate you now. >_<
EDIT 2: That "CHEATER!" Thing is getting really old now, you could easily give someone a heart attack with that.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 17:28:08 by Cosine »
game developer, musician, level designer

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 18:27:56 »
Good to see you got it done so quickly, after your... problem... was solved :)
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 18:56:01 »
Okay, I got to one of the endings now;

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 19:16:32 »
Wow, this is getting much better feedback then I expected! :^^:

Very nice looking. I would get both endings, but I can't find the yellow key. I've even been searching through the editor for it. >_<
EDIT: I hate you now. >_<
EDIT 2: That "CHEATER!" Thing is getting really old now, you could easily give someone a heart attack with that.
Spoiler: Yellow key hint (click to show/hide)
I'm glad you "like" the anti-cheating system. It was specifically designed to do that :shifty:. Surprise people, that is, not give them heart attacks. O_o

Good to see you got it done so quickly, after your... problem... was solved :)
Yes! Thanks for the help on that! :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 20:26:06 by Pick Yer Poison »

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 19:23:47 »
Yes, it looks like you got the hang of it now. I love the cheating protection!!! XD (I had to look in the editor to find it...)
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Cosine

• func_dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 20:03:38 »
Beat it the normal way. I was a little paranoid in the black area, and kept my speakers off just in case. XD
game developer, musician, level designer

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 23:21:48 »
No matter how hard I cheat, I can't find the cheating protection. Is it supposed to protect the keys or something?

Oh yeah, void:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 23:41:35 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 00:52:15 »
No matter how hard I cheat, I can't find the cheating protection. Is it supposed to protect the keys or something?
The cheating protection is in an area which you need the keys to go to (I won't tell you where to find it). It keeps you from getting to the end if you haven't completed the game and/or don't have all the keys, and thus would have had to cheat to get in.

EDIT: Thanks for pointing out that void screen. Fixing and re-uploading.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 01:08:44 by Pick Yer Poison »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 01:06:01 »
Heeeeeeeeeeh! I actually beat this thing! Entirely without cheating! And with only about twenty minutes or so of frustrating repeated failure! (ETA: Apparently I've found an innovative new way to do that jump.  :whoa:)

Okay. So, first things first: lovely level, definitely a keeper, and I'll certainly replay it, now that I know how to do that jump.

But: not an easy level, seriously. Normal, I think, but not easy.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 01:28:17 by Hmpf »

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 01:33:45 »
Whooo!
I got the second ending! That hint was a huuuuge help  :^^: I felt really left out when everyone was talking about the cheat protection but I checked it out after i had finished... lol  :crazy:

Offline special_d

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 07:42:58 »
I'm intentionally cheating just to test the anti-cheat measure (editing the save file so I manually get all four keys)... with the sound OFF, thank you. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 17:19:26 »
I'm intentionally cheating just to test the anti-cheat measure (editing the save file so I manually get all four keys)... with the sound OFF, thank you. I'll let you know if I find anything.
Naw, turn the sound ON...you'll be missing out on the best part of the anti-cheating system. Heh heh heh... :shifty: