Lost levels?

• 31 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Lost levels?
« on: July 17, 2009, 21:12:11 »
Is there a significant number of levels that are neither in the archive nor on what's left of the old forum? I'm slowly making my way through both (the archive is a pain, though, because it doesn't tell you the genre or difficulty of a level), but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on some great stuff because some of the forum posts were apparently lost. I'm especially interested in good environmentals, so if you happen to have one that you're sure is neither in the archive nor on the forum, maybe you could post the title here?

Compiling a list of stuff that's currently lost may also be useful for other newbies, of course - once you know what titles are missing you can start asking around if somebody has a copy. ;-) So, really, how about we list all levels that people still have on their computers/remember playing but which aren't available online anymore?

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: Lost levels?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 21:26:02 »
There are countless levels that are "lost" like this. (I have 964 levels right now. Only I think 61 have been downloaded since the forum crash.) Of course, to be honest, most of the other 903 levels aren't really worth playing.

However, when I find the time (read: later today probably) I suppose I could sort through all the levels and see which ones are a) not on the archive or this forum and b) worthwhile.
good bye

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 21:38:27 »
That would be great!

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 01:15:08 »
Right so I dug through KS and picked out the levels that I remember because of how good they were and then checked which ones weren't on the archive or posted here.

Spoiler: LIST. (click to show/hide)

(Of course, both Si's and Noi's levels are the first two parts of trilogies, sadly unfinished. And Jerom said he was going to make major changes to/expand upon Marine, and posted some very promising screenshots.)

Put together, these levels are very large, and uploading them all will take time. I've gotten started by uploading Knytt 8bits and Creepy Dinosaurs to the archive. (And trying and failing to upload A Kick in the Nuts.)

If anyone else who has these levels could help upload them to the archive that'd be great.
good bye

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 01:43:40 »
Marine's actually still available *somewhere* on the old forum, although I don't remember where exactly I found it. I trawled that forum in short, erratic bursts in the few online moments I could find at my job... weeks ago. But since I have Marine, it must definitely be available. It's one of about a dozen challenge levels I'm playing on and off, in small portions, because if I do it in small portions, the fact that I manage to die all the time is slightly less frustrating. *g*

The rest I don't have, and in most cases haven't even heard of, so I'm thrilled to hear you're uploading them!

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 00:09:00 »
[offtopic] Woah, is knytt 8bits even possible? The spike pillar part in the caves seems at least close to impossible unless i'm missing something. [/offtopic]

Just PM Farik for the hunt.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 02:38:24 »
[offtopic] Woah, is knytt 8bits even possible? The spike pillar part in the caves seems at least close to impossible unless i'm missing something. [/offtopic]

It's entirely possible. You just need to get all the powerups in the right order. (There's an older version which is pretty buggy and nearly impossible.)
good bye

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 15:06:50 »
(I have 964 levels right now. Only I think 61 have been downloaded since the forum crash.)

What the fuck goog you maniac. I cant believe there is almost 1000 (or maybe even over 1000) levels seeing what a small community this is.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 15:22:41 »
I cant believe there is almost 1000 (or maybe even over 1000) levels seeing what a small community this is.

I'm not surprised. I have nearly 200, and I've mostly only downloaded stuff tagged 'easy'/'normal' and 'environmental'...

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 15:46:10 »
What the fuck goog you maniac.
Hey hey! Watch your langage please!!!

Please familiarise yourself with the Official Forum Rules in case you can't seem to understand the reason behind this post.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Cosine

• func_dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 19:36:17 »
game developer, musician, level designer

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 02:31:38 »
<random>Just now when I looked at the forum this thread had 11 replies and 111 views.</random>

(What? I love seeing odd patterns in the world. ;-))

Sorry I didn't think to offer to upload Marine myself, btw. I figured since it was still there somewhere on the old forum it didn't need to be (re)uploaded.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 16:29:28 »
If anyone else who has these levels could help upload them to the archive that'd be great.

Many of those levels' authors didn't want them on the archive, you know.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 00:19:25 »

Many of those levels' authors didn't want them on the archive, you know.

Examples plz. (And I mean, explicit statements from the authors, and not just stuff like "oh noes I can't upload to the archive so I uploaded to generichostingsite.com".)
good bye