Nurykabe's tilesets

• 23 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Nurykabe's tilesets
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 22:51:45 »
Indeed. Basically the entire part from when you returned to the beginning after is made using Nurykabe's tilesets.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline baldwin

• View Profile
    • disassociate
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 02:21:48 »
I managed to use bits of 37 once... in a level I poke around on every once in a while.
Doesn't really compare, obviously, but I was really proud of myself at the time.

eventually i'll post something

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 10:57:34 »

I think I've seen a glimpse of what 4 dimensionalism looks like. :nuts:
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 19:13:27 »
I found this thread by search because I had the exact same questions hmpf did.  Wow, extremely surrealistic!  I'm really impressed by the quality of Morusque/Nurykabe's tilesets!  I have simply never been able to figure them out, but I can kind of see how they are used now.  Morusque, you have a very unique brain to come up with these.   C)p

the way they are ordered in a tileset makes them very confusing and unwieldy to use. 

The two black and white sets are, I think, the most interesting and usable in a normal knitt story.  And I'm impressed by the water front shot.  Very good looking depth there.

Baldwin's screenshots are super cool!  I'd love to play that level!  Very good use of the not quite Dr. Cliche tileset. 

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 22:10:55 »
GUYS let's make up an elaborate BACKSTORY to these tilesets! Like, one night, Nurykabe had these NIGHTMARES and IMAGES popped into his HEAD and he woke up and took a piece of PAPER and drew the tilesets on it and the next morning he REDREW them in GIMP or Paint.net or SOMETHING and everyone was AMAZED and CONFUSED by them and they couldn't use them in levels because only Nurykabe saw those IMAGES that told him how to fit the TILESETS together.

Oh and, neat tilesets. I remember using 38 in my first (and only...for now) level.

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

Offline saba

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 00:50:16 »
GUYS let's make up an elaborate BACKSTORY to these tilesets! Like, one night, Nurykabe had these NIGHTMARES and IMAGES popped into his HEAD and he woke up and took a piece of PAPER and drew the tilesets on it and the next morning he REDREW them in GIMP or Paint.net or SOMETHING and everyone was AMAZED and CONFUSED by them and they couldn't use them in levels because only Nurykabe saw those IMAGES that told him how to fit the TILESETS together.

Oh and, neat tilesets. I remember using 38 in my first (and only...for now) level.

=|=

I heard the bridge in Tileset 15 is supposed to be a metaphor for the tragedy of human existence. We will never be able to truly connect to each other. You literally can't construct that bridge, the pieces don't fit together ever. The green clock stands still. You can't undo time. Since our own perception is the only reality we have, all we can do is speculate and just assume that everyone else is real and not just some made up concept, conceived of by an alien race while we float in nine-dimensional "space", hence the little blue planet.

Or maybe I just suck at this and have no idea how to use these tilesets  C). The screenshots in this thread are really amazing I have to say.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 01:02:36 »
Only saw this thread now, i.e. after it was revived by Headgrinder. Looking at the screenshots Morusque/Nurykabe posted, that unfinished level is, I think, one of the very best things that ever happened to KS. Such a pity it wasn't released, not even in an unfinished state  :sad:  >(

Offline epoxy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 08:23:51 »
I have been wondering the same thing lately: what do Nurkabe's tilesets mean? I should have looked here sooner. I've become fond of a few of them - particularly Tileset7 because it is so complex and, when used properly, makes very interesting shapes. But my experiments with the tiles are nothing compared to the use of them by their designer. Those screenshots are beautiful!

Quote from: Salmoneous
I would say that Nurykabe's tilesets is the most advanced. Just because they are hard to use doesn't make them bad.
I agree. Much of Knytt Stories looks the way it does because it's designed to be intuitive and easy to use. While most tilesets resemble a set of building blocks, Nurykabe's represent whole images exploded into bits.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 13:55:04 »
I agree. Much of Knytt Stories looks the way it does because it's designed to be intuitive and easy to use. While most tilesets resemble a set of building blocks, Nurykabe's represent whole images exploded into bits.

Yes!  I've been thinking he must draw out his ideas first, with no preconceived ideas of the Knytt Stories grid, then translate them almost directly into a complex tileset.