Nurykabe's tilesets

• 23 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Nurykabe's tilesets
« on: July 17, 2009, 21:05:37 »
Ever since I first started playing around with the editor, I've been wondering about the many intriguing tilesets by Nurykabe. They seem highly specific, as if they each were made for a particular level - often they are specific to the point of being fairly useless to someone who doesn't know exactly how they 'work'. Yet I haven't seen any levels by Nurykabe in the archive.

So, what's the story behind those tilesets? Are there levels by Nurykabe? If so, where are they, and why haven't I found them neither on the old forum nor in the archive?

And has anybody ever managed to use more than one or two elements of, say, tileset 18? What are those things on the left in tileset 8? (Which things? Well, all/any of them! *g*) What about all those tiny... stairs(?) in tileset 12 - I've tried to make something from them but most of them simply would not match up with any of the others! How the heck do you use them?! And, perhaps the most intriguing and maddening of all: how about tileset 17? Again ,so many pieces that look like they could be used to create an awesome environment, if only one could figure out how to make them match up properly...

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: Nurykabe's tilesets
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 21:51:36 »
Nurykabe hasn't made any levels as far as I know. (At least not any published levels.)

His tilesets really are very awkward. I think they clash pretty badly with other styles of tileset, and I've never seen some of them used effectively.

And I think that's it.

The problem is most the tilesets are both vague and specific at the same time- some pieces obviously fit together very specifically, but it's not clear what they are, or what many of the other pieces are.
good bye

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 21:57:39 »
I'm going to try to use a lot of these tilesets in an upcoming tutorial level... (see the first one, detailing flags, for more info on what it will be).
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 22:07:19 »
I'm going to try to use a lot of these tilesets in an upcoming tutorial level... (see the first one, detailing flags, for more info on what it will be).

You do like a challenge don't you?! Looking forward to seeing what you'll do with them.

It's really odd that Nurykabe never made (or released?) any levels... the tilesets seem *so* specific, as if each has a very particular story behind it.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 22:23:29 »
Yeah... no idea if I can get them to work or not, though C)p .No matter what, though, I can tell you right now that it will be interesting, but they won't be used in many screens because... it's a tutorial type level, so it won't have many screens...
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 22:34:23 »
This somehow lets me miss the example screens that were required to be submitted along with any tileset that was supposed to be included in the standard library...but those are really quite gone with the old (old) forum, I suppose.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 04:30:08 »
Hello (I'm Nurykabe)  :)

I actually made a level for ks which I never posted, it remains unfinished.

I still have some examples I put on the old forum, here they are :

Yeah, my tilesets are indeed hardcore, sorry about that !

Thanks for this list though, googoogjoob. I'll play these levels, It'll be interesting for me to check how people use these tilesets.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 19:51:10 by LPChip »

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 09:11:23 »
I made a small screen with the tileset 14 32 in the comunity level if that matters
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 19:51:13 by Firecat »
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 10:35:28 »
I would say that Nurykabe's tilesets is the most advanced. Just because they are hard to use doesn't make them bad.

And some of your screens are awesome.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 14:31:56 »
Wow. Okay, so some of those screens don't do one whit to make clearer to me what some of the things are supposed to be...  C)p - but there's certainly a lot of pretty there, in a surreal kind of way. I *like* surreal, so... finish that level? Please?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 14:34:51 »
I've used a few screens in The Explore Challenge which use Nurycabe's tilesets.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline inky84

• It's a Gem. Is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 02:01:51 »

wow! I never really thought about that, that's REALLY cool :D

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 04:58:18 »

wow! I never really thought about that, that's REALLY cool :D
That is by far the screenshot I was most wowed by.
Lurk more.

Offline inky84

• It's a Gem. Is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 08:38:34 »
it is obviously very clear to nurykabe what nurykabe's tilesets do XD

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 22:21:48 »
More of Nurykabe's tilesets than just tileset 38 got used in the Explore Challenge.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
grao!