• 54 Replies

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
[platformer] An Untitled Story
« on: July 16, 2009, 21:04:56 »
Type: Platformer

Description: you are an egg who must find where to go and what to do
Spoiler: more specific (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Screenshots: (click to show/hide)

Download: http://mattmakesgames.com/games/AnUntitledStory.zip
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:53:32 by TechnoGeek »
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Re: [platformer] An Untitled Story
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 21:50:16 »
I remember playing this a long time ago. I gave up at the Black Castle, though; never finished it. :/

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 23:10:03 »
I like the game design and variation of environments in this game. The graphics are pretty basic and bad.
But the game itself is good, its a real challenge thought.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 23:26:02 »
This remains among the best games ever.  Right up with Iji and Cave Story.  In my opinion it does just about the best job of any game at maintaining an atmosphere of exploration and discovery, and unlike many games of its type it also remains a fun challenge at the same time.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 03:26:49 »
Spoiler: spoiler (click to show/hide)
wow, what a huge, horrible spoiler.... :moody: <_<  >(

btw-i put the spoilers there-it wasnt originally there, just so no one gets confused. :P

EDIT:
comments about the game-
I think that this is a very good game. I actually like the graphics... and I also like the "shop" idea.  C)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:04:57 by Mathexpert »

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 03:29:39 »
wow, what a huge, horrible spoiler.... :moody: <_< >(
I agree. Put that in spoiler tags, please. Let's not ruin what little story-related events there are.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:31:50 by Pick Yer Poison »

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 03:47:54 »
In my opinion it does just about the best job of any game at maintaining an atmosphere of exploration and discovery, and unlike many games of its type it also remains a fun challenge at the same time.

I felt like I was exploring and discovering things until I died and had to replay the same areas dozens of times. (This happened in Seiklus too, with its horrible instant-kill things.)

The gameplay is good. But, the graphics and music aren't. The graphics are at least consistent, though, even if I don't personally like the style. However, the music is all bland, painful MIDI (at least, I didn't recognize any non-MIDI instruments), and it feels pretty slapped-on: like a placeholder for better music to be made for the game later.

Also, I felt the heart barrier things were pretty cheap. Forcing the player to replay the same area until they can get through it without getting hit once in order to advance is really irritating.

So: I think this game is worth playing, but not worth replaying.
good bye

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 03:57:09 »
Also, I felt the heart barrier things were pretty cheap. Forcing the player to replay the same area until they can get through it without getting hit once in order to advance is really irritating.

you don't actually need to go through one of those to beat the game.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 05:33:52 »

If you're good enough to get past an area without getting hit at all, I don't think you need a toughness upgrade.
good bye

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 16:19:37 »
Uhh, a few things here.

I felt like I was exploring and discovering things until I died and had to replay the same areas dozens of times. (This happened in Seiklus too, with its horrible instant-kill things.)

Since when does Seiklus have instant-kill things?  Since when does Seiklus have any kill things?
As far as getting stuck, there's almost always somewhere else to go, barring the very beginning, very end, and the second Grotto boss.

The gameplay is good. But, the graphics and music aren't. The graphics are at least consistent, though, even if I don't personally like the style. However, the music is all bland, painful MIDI (at least, I didn't recognize any non-MIDI instruments), and it feels pretty slapped-on: like a placeholder for better music to be made for the game later.

Personally, I really like the way the graphics look, but I'd agree on the music.  I never liked MIDI (does anyone?), and a few of the tracks are pretty poorly made.

Ugh, this has been covered so many times (though not on this forum, obviously).  You don't need to trigger a single heart gate in order to beat the game.  The only one you should feel obligated to get through is the StoneCastle one with the jump upgrade, but honestly, it's very easy.  Actually, I never had any trouble with any of the heart gates.  However...

...this brings me to my next point about the game: I think it's really, really easy.  Laughable, even, on Simple and Normal, and only vaguely challenging on Difficult.  I found it pretty hard on my first playthrough, but that was on Masterful.  Currently I'm only likely to die if I play on Insanity (though obviously very likely, but...).
Other people seem to find the game very hard, and I think that probably keeps me from understanding what other people say about it.  I'm not sure why I find this game so easy because I, as a general rule, suck at games, but oh well.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 18:27:43 »

Since when does Seiklus have instant-kill things?  Since when does Seiklus have any kill things?
As far as getting stuck, there's almost always somewhere else to go, barring the very beginning, very end, and the second Grotto boss.

Seiklus has instant kill things in the...
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 18:29:32 »
...this brings me to my next point about the game: I think it's really, really easy.  Laughable, even, on Simple and Normal, and only vaguely challenging on Difficult.  I found it pretty hard on my first playthrough, but that was on Masterful.  Currently I'm only likely to die if I play on Insanity (though obviously very likely, but...).
Other people seem to find the game very hard, and I think that probably keeps me from understanding what other people say about it.  I'm not sure why I find this game so easy because I, as a general rule, suck at games, but oh well.
I couldn't even finish the Black Castle. Now I feel even worse... :moody:

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 18:36:54 »
What difficulty were you on?
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 19:00:30 »
Seiklus has instant kill things in the...

Ah, I suppose you could call those instant-kill things, yes.  Forgot about those to be honest.  (Though that is only the one room...)

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 21:18:42 »
Seiklus also has those

Not technically instant-death traps, but functionally the same.
good bye