What to have as secrets?

• 23 Replies

Offline MilkMan

• Drink Milk
    • View Profile
What to have as secrets?
« on: July 14, 2009, 19:34:44 »
I have no good idea really, alternate ending maybe but that is still a bit :/ to me.

What do you think makes a good secret? :)

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
Re: What to have as secrets?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 19:41:21 »
A secret that is hard to find, but maybe is a really cool, unique area, with cool graphics, and funny dialogue.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 19:43:35 »
You can have different things in a secret, and it doesn't even have to be an ending.

The objective of the secret would be to give the player a little bit of extra and a notice that its a secret.

For instance, if you have a level with difficult jumps, you can put a high jump powerup in a secret area. If the player finds it, the level suddenly becomes alot more easy.

Another idea is to create an image that looks very nice, or even a quote that has a deepfull meaning. If the player finds it, thats his reward.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 21:29:24 »
Also a reference to your friend / someone who helped you with a level is nice :)

Offline MilkMan

• Drink Milk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 21:36:36 »
All good suggestions :)

I think i have an idea, if i can ever finish my level.

Keep the suggestions coming!

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 23:21:42 »
Another idea is to create an image that looks very nice, or even a quote that has a deepfull meaning. If the player finds it, thats his reward.
But if the level is too hard, they might be desperate for a way to get through an area, thus making them jump around at the walls.
Lurk more.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 23:39:55 »
But if the level is too hard, they might be desperate for a way to get through an area, thus making them jump around at the walls.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how that would affect having a secret area get screwed up...
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 04:30:59 »
He's just saying that the secret will be more likely to be found, because they will be jumping around searching for it.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline koromi

• ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
    • View Profile
    • livejournal
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 08:21:22 »
an effective secret is one that rewards the player by being discovered - so the secret is so difficult to find that a powerup reward isn't necessary to give the player a sense of satisfaction in the discovery.

and as a side note: if you advertise your level as containing secret areas, they aren't secrets anymore, just areas you do not know the location of.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 08:28:29 »
One word (or two, depending on how you look at it):

Userbar.

That's my preferred reward. :)

Offline koromi

• ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
    • View Profile
    • livejournal
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 08:44:43 »
if someone has a userbar that proudly displays they've found a secret it isn't a secret anymore and anyone who has the whim can look in the editor / .ini / worlds folder or copy and paste.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 09:07:12 »
if someone has a userbar that proudly displays they've found a secret it isn't a secret anymore and anyone who has the whim can look in the editor / .ini / worlds folder or copy and paste.
Now that's just plain dishonest. You can't stop people from doing that, so let them do that. But keep a list of people who have PMed you for a userbar, so you can rip anyone else a new one. :shifty:

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 23:58:29 »
you could make an IRC channel and op anyone who you know has found the secret (sorry for stealing/posting your idea, data  C))
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 04:11:10 »
If you tell them there's a secret, it's still rewarding to find it.
If you look in the editor, you get rewarded, but there's no feeling of accomplishment.
Lurk more.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 03:11:03 »
Personally, I just make an area that is obviously NOT part of the level, often quite silly.
Take happyland in FEAR for example. The level is all dark etc, but the secreat area is a big green smily face on a rainbow background.
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot