Uses of the Balls

• 39 Replies
Re: Uses of the Balls
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 06:45:07 »
Yes! :O :nuts: Precicely!
Though, if there were a thin wodden bridge...
Lurk more.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 12:46:09 »
No, I think this is as much a sequel to WaDF as WaDF was a sequel to MAS.
I think its going to bee as much a sequel to WaDF as Det Officiella EDGE Dataspelet was a sequel to Avoid the Evil Space Eel.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 21:21:26 »
The balls in the trailer either sound like glass or a golf ball material.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 22:04:46 »
It's as much of a sequel to WaDF as oatmeal is an effective catalyst for elephant toothpaste.  There, it's settled.
Now let's get back on topic, people!

Remember that there's at least one more ball type than showcased in the video (unless it's been removed...)!  There are four distinct balls in the screenshots!

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 02:42:00 »
Remember. Nifflas mentiononed faking screenshots.
Lurk more.

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 14:45:55 »
No he didn't. :huh:
J started a thread where users could post their own fake NG screens, but Nifflas hasn't faked any except the one he posted there.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 20:22:43 by Razzorman »

Offline Olly

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 17:30:55 »
Actually those don't look like different ball types. It looks like when you hold down a direction for the ball to go, it starts to glow. The faster you are going, the more you glow. The red ball looks like you press some other button to make your ball more controlled.
I think I'll have to agree with you, the white and black balls looks like the same one, just it gets brighter the faster you go. And the whole red ball being more controlled is interesting, as at first it looks like that when he does that on the catapult/seesaw, but then it sticks to the surface of that rotating platform later in the trailer as if it's magnetic or sticky :S.

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 18:48:17 »
And the whole red ball being more controlled is interesting, as at first it looks like that when he does that on the catapult/seesaw, but then it sticks to the surface of that rotating platform later in the trailer as if it's magnetic or sticky :S.
The sticky-looking effect is likely the result of the physics: when your speed and the gravity are going at the same rate in opposite directions, the ball appears to be defying gravity. It takes a little bit for the ball to accelerate to the point that it can overcome gravity and roll to the top of the platform.
grao!

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 20:31:36 »
But about 16 seconds into the video, the ball rolls of a ball hanging from the celling and then turns to the red ball which makes it stop completely when it hits the ground. If it was only more controlled, that wouldn't have happened.
I think that the red ball either have higher friction or is sticky.

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 20:38:30 »
Like I said before, I think the red one has more friction than the others. It doesn't stick to things, it just doesn't really roll.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 22:59:00 »
But about 16 seconds into the video, the ball rolls of a ball hanging from the celling and then turns to the red ball which makes it stop completely when it hits the ground. If it was only more controlled, that wouldn't have happened.
I think that the red ball either have higher friction or is sticky.

I don't get how that proves that the red ball isn't a better controled ball. It quickly slows the ball down so you can use more conservative motions. In fact, that idea actually explains why a lot of the screenshots have the red ball.

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 23:13:15 »
I never said that it would be harder to control it. I just said that I don't think that is its main ability.
It all depends on how you define "better controlled". If you mean rolls slower and doesn't gain the same kind of momentum, then it wouldn't work like it does in the video (especially the part where it rolls up the spinning platform into a light. It would still be affected by gravity and drop down if it wasn't rolling very fast). If you mean that it has more friction and is easier to stop, roll up hills, get to stay on platforms, etc, it would behave like in the video.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 23:16:01 by Razzorman »

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 23:33:34 »
It would still be affected by gravity and drop down if it wasn't rolling very fast
...ah, just like cars on low gears can't go uphill? ;)

Sorry, just trying to confuse you!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 23:36:07 by Nifflas »

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2009, 01:56:11 »
Force/mass*gravity is sinely proportional to slope of grade! XD

EDIT: *acceleration!
Lurk more.

Offline Didriking

• The King of Umbrellas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2009, 10:26:09 »
Hmmm... I've been thinking... Since it's for the Wii, could the balls "glow" be controled by how you move the wii control?
-place holder-