About what happened

• 42 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: About what happened
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 11:38:48 »
I can't really add support for toggling images on or off, unless I would literally copy the themefiles and extensivelly edit it so that the support is gone for them. Simply having it optional is hard/undoable for me.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 11:44:38 »
This new forum was well worth the long wait. Thank you Paula, LPChip and Ponto for rebuilding the ruins! It must have been hard work to get it running, preserve the looks and feel of the old forums, and make the cool new additions work well too - but you guys (and gal) pulled it off! Congrats!

I wonder, if the problem was database corruption, wouldn't it have been possible to drop the tables and restore the whole thing from an earlier backup (assuming that there was one to begin with...  X-P )?

Anyway, it didn't take long to get used to the new system, with the possible exception of Knytt Stories 3rd-party stuff relegated to an external site, but that discussion is better reserved for another thread.

Thanks for bringing one of my favorite online places back! :)

(On a second thought... are the forums really ready to go public? While trying to post this message, I got a server overload error: http://host95.hostmonster.com/highload.html?action=post2;start=0;board=6 )

Offline Drakkan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 12:38:27 »
Perhspas it is mentioned somewhere before, BUT PLEASE - will be it possible to put somewhere link to the Old forum to give poeple chance to download some of their materials ? (levels which are not in KS archive, tilesets, Custom object, some links, gradients etc etc...)

Personally I do not have all these on my hard disk, so I think you understand me, why I am suggesting this. thanks

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 13:32:35 »
The old forum is set as read-only and can be found here for reference, but note that it's pretty screwed because of the database faults, so finding stuff may be difficult or even impossible. It's presumably going to stay online for about a month.

Did you actually read the first post, Drakkan? :moody:

Thanks SiamJai. X) The server overload error occured on the old forum too, occasionally. I don't think there is much to be done about it, neither a severe problem to worry about, as it just seems to come and go, though.
There have been backups, but it was decided to start freshly, like mentioned in several places (<_<), because that way it would be rather sure that merely fixed/circumvented (by lack of knowledge about their cause) faults would accumulate over time and lead to a big crash in the future.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 13:39:44 »
All righty then! Thanks for explaining, Paula (and sorry if I made you repeat old stuff - everything is new to a newbie.  :P).

Offline Drakkan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 13:51:25 »
The old forum is set as read-only and can be found here for reference, but note that it's pretty screwed because of the database faults, so finding stuff may be difficult or even impossible. It's presumably going to stay online for about a month.

Did you actually read the first post, Drakkan? :moody:

perhaps not Paula, because there is milion of new topics and lots of reading and I really havent time to read all of that, so I was just asking.  SORRY if bothering you.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 16:23:37 »
I can't really add support for toggling images on or off, unless I would literally copy the themefiles and extensivelly edit it so that the support is gone for them. Simply having it optional is hard/undoable for me.

Okay then, that's fine, I'll get used to it pretty fast :)

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 17:03:22 »
The new forum looks good - I like the icons (although representative icons for non-game threads would be nice, to even up the overall appearance. Is this something to be considered? I'm happy to attempt a few example icons if any mod, etc is interested...)

As for the Knytt Levels database - will it be connected / integrated to the forum in some way once the discussion parts are finalised?

Offline Miss Paula

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 17:11:31 »
The icons for the games are more like an icing, not meant to entirely replace the ball images. I don't think there will be many more significant changes to this aspect of the forum.

Read this post for some information about the connection/integration with the forum. :)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 19:24:28 »
EVen Nifflas himself suggested to add icons for it. And although creating images for most forums is easy, it will make adding a forum in the future hard. If you now add a forum, it simply gives the ball indication. If all forums have an image, then when we add a new forum in the future, it will be required to add an image to that forum aswell, which can actually prevent us from adding a forum because we cannot find a matching image. Having all but one forums have a nice looking images is weirder than what we chose for now.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline WCreed

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2009, 21:07:19 »
The forums still look nice, especially the released games section.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 00:00:42 »
I think my personal text pretty much sums up my feelings on theserve's crash. <_<
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009, 01:33:17 »
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but everytime I quit Mozilla and like open it again and go here, I have to keep login in again, I should stay logged in.

I do have the "Always stayed logged in" button checked as well.  :P2

Offline Miss Paula

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 01:38:29 »
hm...do you have cookies enabled? that's the only thing I can imagine having to do with that problem.

Offline Teper

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 07:00:59 »
First I'd like to congrat and thank LpChip, Paula, J and all other people that worked to set up a whole new forum. I guess that was a lot of work, and I'm happy seing the forum back :D .

But I'm not convinced with the new KS Third party level reorganisation. I guess the Knytt Stories Level Previews section will soon become a mess, as it presumably is the equivalent to the old "Preview/Showcase" section. Also, what made the Niff forum so popular was the ability of posting your own levels on it. I  think that relegating this on knyttlevels.com, and as so making such a separation between Nifflas's work and people's work is a great mistake.

Most people won't understand why you have to go to 2 different websites, and this might discourage many.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 07:04:41 by Teper »