[Platformer] Lyle in Cube Sector

• 47 Replies

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
Re: [Platformer] Lyle in Cube Sector
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 08:35:12 »
The tricky thing is judging when to save.
It's not that tricky. Just go until you die; it automatically saves your game when you do. XD

...what. That would make the game too easy. If you die after getting a powerup but before saving, I'm reasonably sure that you don't have the powerup when you are revived. (I'm not replaying right now to test this.)
It did exactly what you're saying for me. I died before I saved and quite after getting the
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
and I still had it when I continued.

...Same...
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 10:17:23 »
I really don't see how this game is good

This is one of the best games ever.

Would you mind telling me why? I have played this game and in my opinion, it's not good enough for me to say "It's one of the best games ever".

Same with Cavestory...

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 17:37:46 »
I really don't see how this game is good

This is one of the best games ever.

Would you mind telling me why? I have played this game and in my opinion, it's not good enough for me to say "It's one of the best games ever".

Same with Cavestory...
I'd have to agree with that, except for the part about Cave Story (but let's not start an argument here :P). I've played several indie games that are, in my opinion, quite a bit better.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 17:51:14 by Pick Yer Poison »

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 19:03:23 »
It's fantastic because it's a well-constructed Metroidvania-type game, with reasonable but challenging difficulty, a memorable central mechanic, memorable bizarre enemies, and all sorts of weird stuff.
good bye

Offline Bored2death

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 19:10:36 »
It's fantastic because it's a well-constructed Metroidvania-type game, with reasonable but challenging difficulty, a memorable central mechanic, memorable bizarre enemies, and all sorts of weird stuff.

I wish it was as good as the metroid series...

Offline Joozey

• It's a clockwork universe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 22:46:37 »
I think it's not really good at all. Mainly the gamedesign is just... meh.
Gears grinding on maximum power, belts slipping to high speed.<br />In name of Her Majesty Victoria, FULL THRUST INTO ARMADA!

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 23:26:03 »
Spoiler: quoting (click to show/hide)
As far as I can remember, it doesn't save the map. I don't know about power-ups.
Lurk more.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 01:29:52 »
Mainly the gamedesign is just... meh.

That's incredibly vague.
good bye

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 03:32:31 »
As far as I can remember, it doesn't save the map. I don't know about power-ups.
Always starting by the house is getting on my nerves... xD
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2009, 06:51:16 »
Always starting by the house is getting on my nerves... xD
Non sequitor much? :P

Offline Joozey

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 12:32:03 »
Mainly the gamedesign is just... meh.

That's incredibly vague.
I mean the level design. It's not fun to play through it, it doesn't keep me excited of what would be in that one path I just can't reach. This is due to too many pathways which often lead to a powerup but to nowhere else. And the powerup itself unlocks another heap of pathways which I can't remember where they all were. On top of that, the levels don't stand out. It's just a boring sequence of jump, run forth and back, and throw-blocks with tiny uninteresting puzzles using the blocks. It's nothing special.
Gears grinding on maximum power, belts slipping to high speed.<br />In name of Her Majesty Victoria, FULL THRUST INTO ARMADA!

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2009, 17:58:03 »
I mean the level design. It's not fun to play through it, it doesn't keep me excited of what would be in that one path I just can't reach. This is due to too many pathways which often lead to a powerup but to nowhere else. And the powerup itself unlocks another heap of pathways which I can't remember where they all were.

This is like exactly Metroid.
good bye

Offline Joozey

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2009, 18:25:21 »
Well then I wouldn't like metroid either :3

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2009, 18:34:11 »
I mean the level design. It's not fun to play through it, it doesn't keep me excited of what would be in that one path I just can't reach. This is due to too many pathways which often lead to a powerup but to nowhere else. And the powerup itself unlocks another heap of pathways which I can't remember where they all were.
This is like exactly Metroid.
Well then I wouldn't like metroid either :3
I hope you're not talking about Metroid 1 or 2 (the original or its sequel), because the most common complaint in ether of those was, "I'm lost!" as opposed to, "I just can't decide where to go!"

That said, there are many games that use the mechanic of making you run all over the map in order to complete the game. If you dislike that, then you must dislike a lot more games than Metroid. Don't get me wrong, I'm not too fond of this game, but I wanted to make that point. :/

[ot] You dislike Metroid? BURN THE INFIDEL! :nuts: [/ot]

Offline Bored2death

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2009, 19:27:58 »
Spoiler: quoting (click to show/hide)

Anyone who dislikes a Metroid game... must burn  :crazy: I was recently introduced to the series, and I can't find a single reason to dislike them. Now, Lyle in Cube Sector... that's a different story. In my opinion, what makes it the least fun is dying so easily, and then the long game over scene. You don't die as easily as you do in IWBTG, but the game over screen is ridiculous. Anyway, Metroid is a lot cooler (you get to shoot things, among other things...). Please, don't dis Metroid, and remember that Lyle in Cube Sector may share some traits with Metroid, but not many.