[Misc/Easy] The Deserted Rustyard

• 43 Replies
[Misc/Easy] The Deserted Rustyard
« on: July 09, 2009, 22:55:22 »
Well, I finally have finished this level. It isn't very large, and focusses on the currently unique tileset that my brother and I compiled from an internet game on nitrome. I shall emphasize that whilst the graphics have (mostly) been lifted from this game, all the custom objects have been created by me and the big machine custom object (you'll know what I'm talking about when you play it) was designed and created entirely by me, there is nothing from the nitrome game that it relates to at all, all my own work (and about ten hours of it at that - I'm not good at pixel art  <_<). The music was created using modplug tracker, and I apologize if it gets a little repetitive, but it took ages to make as I find modplug tracker very hard to use effectively and I cannot be bothered to make it longer.

All the bugs that my friends or I have found have been fixed, but if anyone comes across any more then it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link (I'm sorry it's sendspace, but for some reason unknown to me I can't upload anything to the archive - if anyone is volunteering to do that for me, it would be greatly appreciated  ;)):http://www.sendspace.com/file/jx6upx

Hopefully you guys will like it, the consensus from my friends is that it is very good (though I will say they are easily impressed  :P2). Something to please Goog after his deprivation from good levels  X-P

EDIT: Sendspace link up now also (just for you Kl?mrisk  X-P):http://www.mediafire.com/?4nb1yyixy5x

EDIT: It is not a bug, the guy does turn up after you leave. It is not obvious how you locate him, but he is there. (Happy Hunting :P)

EDIT: All custom objects can be used by all, but until I get confirmation one way or the other from Nitrome the tilesets are not for use. Music and gradients also can be used by anyone.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 22:06:05 by Bligglenuber »

If you want to see the whole image that made the avatar, it's at: http://www.redbubble.com/people/bligglenuber/art/2446578-2-dropsie-in-colour

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
Re: [Misc/Easy] The Deserted Rustyard
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 23:33:25 »
Ooh, this is beautiful! The tilesets are lovely, though I dock you points for not making them yourself. The sound is fitting, but it's noticeable when it loops. The custom objects are amazing! I wish I was that good at animating.
The whole thing is very un-knyttish, but that isn't a bad thing at all. If I were to give it a score from 1 to 10, I would say...
Spoiler: score (click to show/hide)

Check out my tilesets!

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 00:24:22 »
I really liked this. Very good custom objects, and very good custom object use. This level is awesmoe.

However: did you ask Nitrome for permission to use their graphics? If you didn't/don't, then this level will be deleted. (Unless they have some sort of standing "you can use our stuff" policy.)

A few bugs/inconsistencies:
Spoiler: Spoilers. (click to show/hide)
good bye

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 00:43:37 »
Hmm.. rustyard, huh? *downloading*

I really liked this. Very good custom objects, and very good custom object use. This level is awesmoe.
I must agree with this.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 00:55:25 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 01:23:51 »
Heyyyyyyy.... I remember this!
You offered me the use of these tilesets for BSoaKFF, but I declined because of the lack of exclusivity.
I still have the beta you sent me.

I seem to have issues with receiving an explanation as to what is going on...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 01:37:59 by JC Grim the 'crete reaper »
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 09:44:46 »
Amazing COs. The "shadow" when Juni is in the pipe is creative :)

I liked it, too bad that you didn't make tilesets by yourself.

Offline StaticRomantic

• it's coming to get you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 10:43:41 »
Looks terrific :D
Downloading.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 10:49:39 »
it is a good knytt stories level
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:59:46 by Evil »

Offline MilkMan

• Drink Milk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 12:35:22 »
The download link has been updated (error: #10).
You may now download the file.

that comes every time i try :/

edit: got it down! :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 15:59:23 by MilkMan »

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 15:40:57 »
Hey, hey and wow. The CO's, especially the big machine are really, really great. Loved what you did with the tilesets. Very artsy and as someone else put it, very unknyttish. Only thing missing for me was more gameplay. Keep on keepin' on!

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 19:24:17 »
Okay, since a whole bunch of you have started to talk of the missing explanation, where the guy who follows you fails to show up. Thing is, he does show up. You may wish to consider it a secret area though, so don't spoil it for others by posting about it without spoilers if you do find it.

Thanks for all the good feedback by the way. I'm currently asking nitrome for permission, I knew I intended to do that at one point, but I forgot to. I'll notify you when they reply.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 19:54:51 by Bligglenuber »

If you want to see the whole image that made the avatar, it's at: http://www.redbubble.com/people/bligglenuber/art/2446578-2-dropsie-in-colour

Offline Klämrisk

• I can't even recall why I have this duck anymore..
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 20:05:07 »
could you upload it to Mediafire or just somewhere else than Sendspace please?  :)
Audial experimentations (Read: demos)
Crazy metal band I sing and play bass/electric guitar in

"Throwback" - a KS level in progress
I seem to recall starting a shift-animation frenzy and increased fascination in Juni's transparent body.

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 20:44:42 »
YES! I loved the style of this game on Nitrome. I think it translates perfectly to Knytt Stories. Downloading! XD

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 20:57:30 »
This is the level with the best use of the custom objects feature I have ever seen. Congratulations. :)
And by the way, I also noticed at the end, when you activate the lifts as you jump to the first one there is a sound which should not be there. Apart from that and some minor things that goog pointed out, I loved it, really. Simply amazing.

Offline Cosine

• func_dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 21:08:48 »
If you hold S to go faster on the air tunnel part, the doors never close, and you go to a void. Not sure if it only happens if you get the secret (never tried it without getting it). Other than that, awesome.
game developer, musician, level designer