Free audio format converter? Plus, a question about looping

• 10 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
There's a confusing number of audio converters out there. If I want to convert wav, mp3 and other audio file formats to ogg for use in Knytt Stories, is there a converter you could recommend to me? Or one I should definitely avoid?

Also, if I use free audio samples found on the web, are these usually already loopable, or is it standard procedure to edit them before they can be looped? Because I have no idea what to do to make a sample loopable if it isn't already.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: Free audio format converter? Plus, a question about looping
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 00:26:38 »
dBpoweramp is a good free audio converter. (You need to get the OGG codec from the "Codec Central" page, and you'll also need the Helix MP3 codec from near the bottom of the page if you want to be able to encode MP3s after the trial period dealy wears off.)

As for samples, yeah I don't know.
good bye

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 05:27:31 »
Also, if I use free audio samples found on the web, are these usually already loopable, or is it standard procedure to edit them before they can be looped? Because I have no idea what to do to make a sample loopable if it isn't already.

You're referring to copyright, correct?  If it's under Creative Commons then you are free to edit the sample in any way you like (in this case loop it).  If you can't find a particular license, I can't imagine anyone would care about you editing their samples to loop (assuming they were okay with you using their samples in the first place).

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 10:12:12 »

You're referring to copyright, correct?  If it's under Creative Commons then you are free to edit the sample in any way you like (in this case loop it).  If you can't find a particular license, I can't imagine anyone would care about you editing their samples to loop (assuming they were okay with you using their samples in the first place).
Um... I think he's she's just asking if its a standard for samples from the internet to be loopable, or if you have to do it yourself.
Edit: I fail.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 18:19:40 by Razzorman »
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 13:29:33 »
Razzorman got me right (except for my gender :D); I was asking about whether or not, typically, I would have to edit a sample found on the net; there's reams of cc-licenced stuff out there, so of course I'm going to use something cc-licenced and not something that is under 'normal' copyright. I'm asking because I don't know the first thing about audio editing, and would prefer to get through my first level making attempt without having to learn audio editing in addition to game making - so it would be nice to know if there happens to be lots of already-loopable stuff out there.

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 19:52:33 »
as for audio converters, a free (albeit ad-filled) online solution is media-convert.com.

also, note that KS needs files to be in the ambiance folder to loop at all.
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 02:39:37 »
In response to the other question (which is clear now), most samples you find will probably be loopable, although not all of them are especially suitable to be looped in the first place.

Offline crossproduct

• Legendary Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 06:24:24 »
I highly recommend Audacity. I've been using it for my audio-editing needs for years now. It's easy to use, free, has no ads, and I think it's open source. I use it to fix loops and convert files to OGG to use in Knytt Stories. I think you can find it on http://www.download.com/

EDIT: Actually, I see Miss Paula already suggested Audicity in her sticky topic.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:38:45 by crossproduct »
The Shyguy sprite is from Yoshi's Island. The sword and shield are from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Both are ©Nintendo.

Offline baldwin

• View Profile
    • disassociate
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 06:28:25 »
I use meow multisound and it's pretty fast and lightweight.
goes both ways and it beautifully simple for computer retards like myself.
you can get it here

http://www.visoracle.com/download/freeware/decoder/bumm.html
eventually i'll post something