[Environmental] Falling Water

• 401 Replies

Offline Pie_Sniper

• View Profile
Re: [Environmental] Falling Water
« Reply #330 on: January 09, 2013, 03:15:27 »
Fubaka & Pie_Sniper: I like your stuff! Yes, both of yours. Errm. I don't think these two styles would work well together, though... (or would they? What do you think? Everyone, feel free to weigh in, this is not my area of primary expertise.)
Given the enormity of the level and the relatively small size of each area, it might be difficult for one person to produce the quantity of pieces you're looking for, depending on how much longer it will be in production. As is, I think the difference between the two styles would be a bit jarring, but they might work well together if we gave the acoustic parts an ambient-electronic backdrop.

Pie_Sniper, do you happen to have a few more things I could listen to? It's kinda hard to make a decision on the impression gotten from a single piece. I'm really intrigued by your instrumentation.
I actually don't write a lot of music, but it's something I very much want to do more. (This probably makes Fubaka the safer choice.) I'm working on another little piece that I can record when I get off of work tonight, and I can also put something together tomorrow morning. Expect a PM from me. :)

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #331 on: January 09, 2013, 08:14:04 »
If you can't make a choice, it might be possible for Pie_Sniper and I to make some kind of collaboration and mix our styles together.  Whether or not he would be up to that is a different story.

At any rate, if you are planning on accepting my offer, you ought to send me your level in its current state, so I can gather info on what style would fit with your level.  I can double as a beta tester as well if you need one.   8)
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 09, 2013, 15:42:21 »
Fubaka & Pie_Sniper: a collaboration between the two of you could be exciting, I think... Pie_Sniper just sent me another short piece, which I really loved. I'd really like to have you both on board - because I like both your styles, and because there are a *lot* of areas to score, and also because in some cases, one of the two styles might work better than the other, whereas in others a mix might work, etc. Obviously, though, you'd have to try and see if you can imagine collaborating with each other... if you can't, well, then I'll just have to make a decision after all. ;-)

A sensible first step would probably be to send you both the level as it is... If either of you decides after that that you'd rather not be involved, that's okay, too, of course. (As my webspace is currently out of commission, I need to find a filesending service, I guess... I'll look into that later today.)

Re: timeframe. This thing has been a project for three, three and a half years now, and I expect it to remain in active development for at least another six months, because - as-yet-unbuilt areas aside - there's also still house insides, dialogue, shifts, ambient sounds, etc. to take care of. I can't work on it a whole lot, most days, because my life is in serious upheaval at the moment (I'm losing my job, have to find a new one, move to another city, etc. etc. etc.) So the next few months look a bit unpredictable. But I do intend to keep working on it, now that I'm back on track.

Re: payment. I know neither of you requested any... and I can't really pay you properly... but if you need anything that a goldsmith could make... well, this here goldsmith would owe you a big favour. If you decide you want to be part of this project. :-)

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #333 on: January 09, 2013, 17:51:25 »
Re: payment. I know neither of you requested any... and I can't really pay you properly... but if you need anything that a goldsmith could make... well, this here goldsmith would owe you a big favour. If you decide you want to be part of this project. :-)

My dear, you are paying with the level itself!  All I ask is that if I make music for your level, you must promise me it will be finished at some point in my lifetime. :P

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 09, 2013, 19:14:45 »

My dear, you are paying with the level itself!  All I ask is that if I make music for your level, you must promise me it will be finished at some point in my lifetime. :P

Well, if you're under 80, that shouldn't be a problem. ;-)

Offline Pie_Sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 09, 2013, 19:18:11 »
I am actually really excited to do a collaboration! Of course no compensation is required. The screenshots you've posted have already gotten me to compose, something I rarely feel inspired enough to do successfully, and it was incredibly entertaining and fulfilling.

I'm glad you liked the second piece. :) I talked to my brother and he is on board to help me record and produce the tracks.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 09, 2013, 23:06:04 »
I am actually really excited to do a collaboration! Of course no compensation is required. The screenshots you've posted have already gotten me to compose, something I rarely feel inspired enough to do successfully, and it was incredibly entertaining and fulfilling.

I'm really happy to have inspired you! :-)

I'm glad you liked the second piece. :) I talked to my brother and he is on board to help me record and produce the tracks.

Oh wow! Awesome! Heeee, this level will have mile-long credits... dozens of tileset creators... music team... :-) It's beginning to feel almost professional, lol!

ETA: Annoyingly, I just noticed that apparently I messed up the first part's area of the level somehow, in the second part file. Not quite sure how it happened, but there's dialogues that are out of order now. :-(
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 23:09:57 by Hmpf »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 11, 2013, 02:35:11 »
Really tired & about to go to bed, but I just wanted to post some (vague) numbers.

The bad news is that the numbers I posted in this thread usually count both parts together - so you kind of always have to subtract the 100-odd screens of the first part, if you want to know how big the second part will actually be (though of course the part of the world where the first part was set is still part of the level, too.)

The good news is that I'm probably already over 500, counting both parts. I don't quite remember where exactly on the map I stopped counting, but I do remember the number was over 430 then. Well, I just counted all the screens that I'm reasonably sure are fairly new, and got to a 65 or so. So I'm probably around or over 500 right now. As there's a few areas still to build, the total for parts one and two of Falling Water combined will therefore be in the low to mid 500s. 530, maybe?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #338 on: January 11, 2013, 09:23:41 »
Xoft's Level Composer can count rooms for you. I get the feeling you spend a lot of time counting rooms. I think you should use it for this one aspect, since it will increase your productivity, and I want to play this someday.

PS. Back up your level first. Level composer has bugs.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 11, 2013, 20:13:17 »
Xoft's Level Composer can count rooms for you. I get the feeling you spend a lot of time counting rooms. I think you should use it for this one aspect, since it will increase your productivity, and I want to play this someday.

PS. Back up your level first. Level composer has bugs.

I'll look into that... though if it counts all duplicate screens as new screens my own method may be more accurate. (I don't always start counting from scratch - I have a list of the different areas, and whenever I finish a new area I count its screens and add it to the list, and do the total. My recent numbers have been a bit vague only because I misplaced my list, lol.) Thanks for the tip!

ETA: And, speaking of numbers: three new screens since yesterday - and I kind of have to force myself to stop. Shit is happening in RL, and knytting, it turns out, is a good painkiller.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 12, 2013, 06:33:56 »
ETA: And, speaking of numbers: three new screens since yesterday - and I kind of have to force myself to stop. Shit is happening in RL, and knytting, it turns out, is a good painkiller.

I was always of the opinion that morphine was the holy grail of pain killers :P (j/k, of course).

Anything that can hold your attention on something external is good for pain, stress, anxiety... any numer of problems; and a great alternative to medicating/upping dosage if it works for you :)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 12, 2013, 20:26:34 »
Quickly: Just had a look at the level in the KSLC, and it said 656 screens. HOWEVER -- there are a lot of duplicate screens, "sketch/test" screens, empty sky screens and the like, so I think it's safe to subtract *at least* 100 if not more. In fact, 550 still seems suspiciously high a number...

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 12, 2013, 22:37:07 »
Okay. 520 exactly. This is an authoritative number. Don't ask me how I know.

(If you do ask: you can easily delete all unnecessary screens with one hand while eating with the other... and then let KSLC count the result. :D)

ETA: Map as of today. Only actual playable screens, no redundant screens etc. Circled in red is (very roughly) the area you've already seen if you've played part one.

Man, this is still so small. I wish it was bigger. I'd love to build something that players could run around in for hours. (Of course, once I add part 3, it probably *will* be properly huge...)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 22:49:50 by Hmpf »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 14, 2013, 22:08:19 »
+5

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #344 on: January 15, 2013, 00:50:21 »
I'm glad you have a definite measure of progress on your level.  Mine, on the other hand, while quite large even without them, consists mainly of duplicate screens due to the way my conversation system works.  If I gave everyone a screen count on my level, it would be wildly inflated, even though it's technically true  :P.

Love anything