[Environmental] Falling Water

• 401 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental] Falling Water
« Reply #315 on: December 25, 2012, 16:12:37 »
Oh yay, this exists! I'd all but forgotten about this, but it's very nice to see you're still continuing this.
Oh, and I could lend a hand for some music; just PM me if you're interested.

I'm generally very interested in getting some help with this! I don't really have much of an idea, right now, of what your music sounds like, though - and I also haven't really decided what direction I'd like to go in with the music for this level. It seems unlikely to find a whole lot of free music that a) fits the game and b) goes well together, so I've been considering making all or at least some of the music myself for a while now. It would have to be very minimalist, of course, as I have zero experience. (And also, something relatively simple would be best for the game, I think. Most of the areas in it aren't huge, so if every area gets its own music, it would probably be best for that music to just be a very short and simple loop.) I also don't know what the appropriate programs/tools would be - unless I actually decide to go with the guitar, that is. I'd have to find out how to record etc. that, though, too.

Do you have a thread for your music here somewhere, so I could have a listen? And when I've done so and think that your stuff might work for my level, I could send you the level and you could see if it inspires you or something? :-)

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 25, 2012, 19:36:07 »
I can't say for sure what kind of music I usually make, since it's quite varied. The easiest way would probably be my Souncloud page, since I've been updating that a lot lately: Here
Most of my songs are in fact pretty short. I don't have much on there as of guitar and similar things, but I think I have some songs that I never did upload there that might fit.

Either way, just take a look there and we'll say where it ends up.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 06, 2013, 00:56:28 »
I can't say for sure what kind of music I usually make, since it's quite varied. The easiest way would probably be my Souncloud page, since I've been updating that a lot lately: Here
Most of my songs are in fact pretty short. I don't have much on there as of guitar and similar things, but I think I have some songs that I never did upload there that might fit.

Either way, just take a look there and we'll say where it ends up.

I've listened to everything on your Soundcloud page now, and I think that kind of style doesn't quite fit - the pieces are too song-like and still too long for my purposes. I really only need very short, *very* minimal loops, as most of the areas in the level are really quite small - often less than ten screens. What I have in mind is barely even music, really. The more song-like/music-like the individual pieces are, the more it will jar to move from one area to the next, I think. So I'm looking more for... almost-silence interspersed with occasional musical bits? If that makes any sense. A soundscape rather than a soundtrack? (The only piece of music I used in the first part *is* quite song-like... but the more I think about it, the less I want to continue in that vein with the rest of the level.)

Would you like to have a look at the level, to get an idea of the kind of "landscapes" and area sizes and so on?

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 06, 2013, 20:33:41 »
I've been pretty good about adding a couple of new screens almost every day recently, btw. This thing is officially back on track!

Offline oskop

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 06, 2013, 20:48:32 »
When do you think it will be done?

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 06, 2013, 21:37:16 »

No idea. Music is still a major problem. Plus, I've decided to add another couple or so areas because the world was looking very... unbalanced, with all the stuff on the right side and far less on the left. So there's maybe 50 screens to build still? Bringing the total of this part up to something like 500 screens, I think.

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 06, 2013, 21:58:55 »
I understand what you're going for. To be honest, I hadn't really thought it would fit a game like Knytt Stories; after all, the original music wasn't really music in that sense, it always felt more experimental. I doubt I'll be able to reach that level of composing anytime soon, so unfortunately I won't be of much help I don't think. Of course, I'm still available for play-testing, and I cannot account for anything that happens in the future,.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #322 on: January 07, 2013, 00:39:36 »

No idea. Music is still a major problem. Plus, I've decided to add another couple or so areas because the world was looking very... unbalanced, with all the stuff on the right side and far less on the left. So there's maybe 50 screens to build still? Bringing the total of this part up to something like 500 screens, I think.

If you need music, I may be of assistance.  I'll let you use it completely free of charge.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 07, 2013, 00:51:35 »
@Yonowaaru: :-( If you'd like to have a look at the unfinished level anyway, you're welcome, though! I know it's kind of super-spoilerific to look at an unfinished level, let alone one somewhat close to completion, but I could really use some "outside feedback". Three and a half years of working on this without ever exchanging any ideas about it with anyone is way too long.

@Fubaka: Could I have a listen to some of your stuff? Your offer is very welcome, but I have something fairly specific in mind. Something that's basically even more minimalist than the original Knytt Stories soundtrack, I think.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #324 on: January 07, 2013, 02:50:39 »
Sure thing, my music is here: http://fubaka.newgrounds.com/
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #325 on: January 07, 2013, 03:08:52 »
Hmpf, you could also see if lilmanjs is interested; sounds like the kind of style you're after to me.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 07, 2013, 03:33:12 »
Also, if none of the offers here work out, you might try looking at Jamendo, a big music site where you can search for songs with a specific Creative Commons license and with the "minimalist" tag as well (I'd link to it, but it's very Flash-y and kind of annoying; hopefully you won't have too much trouble searching it). Also, have you ever played altf4 by 14? It's a very obscure level (I don't think it was even advertised in the Level Release board), but it does a lot of interesting things with its score that are worth looking at, especially if you want to look at other examples of minimalist scoring.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #327 on: January 07, 2013, 04:50:53 »
Also, have you ever played altf4 by 14?

Man, that level is gorgeous. I can't thank you enough for bringing it to my attention.

Offline Pie_Sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 07, 2013, 12:03:01 »
If you decide you're still interested in a minimalist acoustic soundtrack, I would love to help out. (I play primarily violin, guitar, and mandolin.) Just for fun, I recorded a short tune inspired by this screenshot, which you can listen to here. (I apologize for the quality; I have access to real recording equipment if we were to collaborate.)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 08, 2013, 17:54:35 »
Oh man, you guys. This is getting another kind of difficult now! Choices, choices... :D

Thank you so much for offering your help!

Fubaka & Pie_Sniper: I like your stuff! Yes, both of yours. Errm. I don't think these two styles would work well together, though... (or would they? What do you think? Everyone, feel free to weigh in, this is not my area of primary expertise.)

I'll have to think about this for a few days, I think.

Pie_Sniper, do you happen to have a few more things I could listen to? It's kinda hard to make a decision on the impression gotten from a single piece. I'm really intrigued by your instrumentation.