« Reply #241 on: August 07, 2010, 01:30:14 »
Wow, pretty! <3
Lurk more.

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental] Falling Water
« Reply #242 on: August 07, 2010, 03:39:20 »
Ooooh, I *love* that first screen. The second one seems a bit repetitive, but I bet it looks far better in game.

Keep up the good work :) Any plans to release part 2 or will you wait to release the whole thing at once?
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #244 on: August 07, 2010, 14:54:03 »
Oh goodie!  I love me some screenies!  Both are beautiful, but...

*puts on constructive criticism hat*

There seem to be way to many roots on the first screen.  It's like an overly repetitive pattern.
I like everything about the second screen except the wide areas of plain brick.  It's, again, too much repetitive pattern.  Any chance for a dead end room with something cool, or some alt bricks to add  variation?  

Those are both fantastic tilesets.  :D

/@
          \   \
    _____> \
  (___O)     \
(_____@)    \
(_____@)     \
  (___o)_       \
            \       \

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 07, 2010, 16:24:00 »
Yeah, I'm not too fond of the many roots, either. Not so much because they're too many, but because they're too regularly spaced for something organic. Sadly, that is the only kind of corner piece that that tileset comes with. And the tileset I got the bricks from doesn't have a variant brick tile, either. I'm building a 600+ screen level using something like at least half the available tileset slots, and I have *no* experience making my own graphics, so I'm *not* going to start to extend my perfectionism to editing tilesets. This is already taking years (it's about 14 months now and I'm somewhere near the halfway mark, I think) - I don't dare to imagine how long it would take if I started editing tilesets! *g*

I could use some entirely different tile from the same tileset to take care of the repetitiveness problem, of course, but then that area would lose its character of, well, a place built from bricks. Which is what it's supposed to be. (Personally I don't mind the repetitiveness of the brick pattern. Brick walls are like that, and I like brick walls.) So, trying to build not-too-boringly-shaped tunnels in the brick area, and, of course, adding some nice vegetation, will have to suffice for variety there.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 07, 2010, 21:55:04 »
Well, who's tileset is it?  Can it be edited?  I'd be willing to make some mods for you if it was allowable.

I totally know what you mean about the time thing.  I've been working on tilesets only for 6 months now.   :sigh: :sick:

I probably shouldn't make this comment, because you are doing a great job and doing all you can.  My inner perfectionist won't let me let this go.   O_o  Real brick walls usually have wonderful variations in size, shape, color, texture that breaks up repetition.  I would just like to see something there, and as I said before, if the tileset can be modded, I'll do a little work for ya.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 08, 2010, 22:20:05 »
Hmm. Well, let's see.

1.) The bricks really don't bother me.
2.) This is a *very* small area in the level. Maybe five screens out of 600-700.
3.) I don't think it's so ugly as to make people want to tear their eyes out, or so boring as to make them fall asleep. ;-)
4.) Also, yes, there really are very 'regular' brick walls. Not every brick wall is old and picturesque. As it happens, this one *is* old - but the materials used aren't necessarily those *we* would associate with brick walls. It makes sense for it to look like this, within the context of the world I'm building here.
5.) There's *something* that could be done to almost every single tileset I'm using to make it fit my purposes ever so slightly better. Better not to open that can of worms.
6.) Also, one of the premises for starting Falling Water was: let's see what I can do with all these wonderful public tilesets - as provided. I like making do, sometimes.
5.) And lastly, but certainly not least: don't waste your time fixing very minor aspects of my level - go work on your *own* level, Headgrinder, because WE ALL WANT TO PLAY IT!!! SRSLY. I want to play your level really, really badly. *g*

Oh, also? @Everyone: About fifteen more screens and I'll be hitting the 400 mark. :-)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 08, 2010, 23:50:13 »
As I suspected, I should have kept the pie hole shut.  :)  You have an emphatic way of breaking my super picky critique to powder.  I'll keep the pie hole shut.  :)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 08, 2010, 23:52:27 »
As I suspected, I should have kept the pie hole shut.  :)  You have an emphatic way of breaking my super picky critique to powder.  I'll keep the pie hole shut.  :)

Naaaah. Critique is fine. It's just that, well, I really don't think you need to bother adjusting the tileset for me, because, well, *I* don't mind the look of it as it is, and it's really really minor, and, most importantly, I really do want to play our level *urgently*, so I want you to focus on that! *g*

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
« Reply #250 on: August 09, 2010, 13:16:10 »
(Personally I don't mind the repetitiveness of the brick pattern. Brick walls are like that, and I like brick walls.)

I like brick walls too.

Then again, that's probably because I'm a very boring person and like utilitarian architecture. Oh well. "Form follows function", indeed.

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

Offline Antikythera

• The Great Machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 09, 2010, 13:45:31 »
5.) There's *something* that could be done to almost every single tileset I'm using to make it fit my purposes ever so slightly better. Better not to open that can of worms.@Everyone: About fifteen more screens and I'll be hitting the 400 mark. :-)

Haha, I wish I were like you... When something's wrong with a tileset, I go out of my way getting permission to fix it... When I would like a CO and I can't find a similar one, I draw it, and since I can't draw at all, it always takes a long time... I am a perfectionist with little skill at it's a bad combination lol.
Menagerie - 25%
Skyline Spires - 5%
A Golden Hymn - 0%

The Great Machine, Antikythera, which grinds the blood of men into history.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 10, 2010, 00:52:37 »
and, most importantly, I really do want to play our level *urgently*, so I want you to focus on that! *g*

Err. Okay, with typos (Freudian slips?) like that, maybe I *should* let you edit the tilesets I'm using. Obviously my subconscious is conflating your work with mine already. :D

More to the point: Do not click on the attached image. I really, really shouldn't be posting it. And by that I mean, this is probably the most ill-advised screenshot-posting I've ever done. I just. Can't. Help. Myself. ARRRGH.

Seriously, this is from a secret area, and possibly the most beautiful area so far, or one of them anyway. If you are anything but a total spoilerwhore like me, you *don't* want to see more than a tiny thumbnail of this.

« Reply #253 on: August 10, 2010, 04:27:57 »
You can't stop spoiling your level, can you?
Lurk more.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 10, 2010, 08:00:47 »
I clicked it to fullsize it, then desized it when I saw what you had written. I have yet to see more than the thumbnail.

Phew.