[Environmental] Falling Water

• 401 Replies

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
Re: [Environmental] Falling Water
« Reply #225 on: July 01, 2010, 13:32:45 »
How many screens are you aiming at? Because right now things look like a beautiful ever-expanding world. As a matter of fact, it got me thinking of how nice it would be if the protagonist found out, at the end of the game, that there is no end, that the world is being created all the time, more and more and more layers, etc. Eh.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 01, 2010, 20:03:47 »
How many screens are you aiming at?

I don't really have a fixed number of screens I'm aiming at. I know what the world of Falling Water *looks like* (roughly), so I'm aiming to build the world as it exists in my head. I already know, for example, that I have built (nearly) all the open surface area that exists in it now, at least for parts one and two; there's just a tiny bit of sea and islands missing and then there'll be only caves left for me to build. (I already miss the open air... and the vegetation. Though there's some vegetation in the caves, too.) It's really hard to estimate how many screens I'll end up with, though, especially as there's an entire... 'continent' (which will constitute part 3, because there's a very... natural break in the story there) that I haven't even started yet.

I think parts 1 and 2 may come in at something between 500 and 600 screens, eventually (that's ca. 110 screens for part 1, and the rest is all part 2. I initially meant to split part 2 into two parts, and I may still do that, in which case the aforementioned part 3 would be promoted to part 4, of course. ;-))

The real problem with the level at the moment is the story, not completing the map. I know, more or less, what the map will look like, and could probably build it in a matter of a few months - but the story's still elusive, except for the very vaguest outline. I'm also contemplating scrapping a part of that outline, which means that the actual shape of my world has stopped making quite as much sense. But it's too late to change the shape now, even if another shape would make more sense.

Because right now things look like a beautiful ever-expanding world. As a matter of fact, it got me thinking of how nice it would be if the protagonist found out, at the end of the game, that there is no end, that the world is being created all the time, more and more and more layers, etc. Eh.

That, alas, is impossible, for reasons that are quite central to the story. However, I can already see myself starting another big project when Falling Water is finished. Building KS levels is the closest I've ever come to being able to recreate the strange worlds I see in my dreams, and there's still plenty where Falling Water came from...

I may have to learn how to make my own tilesets, eventually... (although it's amazing how much you can accomplish with the public tilesets, really!)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 20:07:56 by Hmpf »

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #227 on: July 02, 2010, 14:11:59 »
I was already amazed at the news of another continent, and then this:

That, alas, is impossible, for reasons that are quite central to the story. However, I can already see myself starting another big project when Falling Water is finished. Building KS levels is the closest I've ever come to being able to recreate the strange worlds I see in my dreams, and there's still plenty where Falling Water came from...

Can't quite express the enthusiasm in words, so here's the same thing in smileys:
 O_o O_o O_o  :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

:)

I may have to learn how to make my own tilesets, eventually... (although it's amazing how much you can accomplish with the public tilesets, really!)

Eh, it took me about 13 months to get to the point of making my own tilesets. They're very simplistic, but still, it's nice to create your world from scratch like that.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 02, 2010, 22:55:53 »
I was already amazed at the news of another continent,

Don't get too excited - that area will not be very big, I think. No larger than 200, maybe even just around 100 screens.

Can't quite express the enthusiasm in words, so here's the same thing in smileys:
 O_o O_o O_o  :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

LOL! Well, I'm glad to know you're *really* looking forward to my further achievements in KS level building. :D

« Reply #229 on: July 08, 2010, 05:47:27 »
? (why dont we have a puzzled smiley face?)

ive been gone waaaaay to long
i tried to read what was going on with this level but im confused
anyway... how the progress on this level? (seems to be growing quite splendly)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 08, 2010, 17:50:07 »
? (why dont we have a puzzled smiley face?)

:huh:

Code: [Select]
:huh:

Offline munchybot

• HUZZAH!
    • View Profile
    • my music on Bandcamp!
« Reply #232 on: July 09, 2010, 01:16:51 »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 14, 2010, 20:43:46 »
Sorry, really busy with RL, so nothing new here. To tide you over, though, here's an old screenshot that those of you who've been to my old preview page may know, but which, I think, I've never posted hereabouts:

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

To get the full effect you really need to see it in motion, though.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #234 on: July 14, 2010, 20:55:15 »
Yay, a screenshot! And it's a very nice one :)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 16, 2010, 00:39:42 »
Oh wow.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 17, 2010, 02:16:56 »
Oooh, what lovely feedback to come back to. :-)

Sadly, the screenshot as well as my levels, and all other screenshots etc. are offline for now. I've just been alerted to the possibility that apparently remnants of my nasty infection from last year may still lurk somewhere on my webspace even though I've deleted and completely rebuilt everything. So, in order to prevent whatever might still be there from causing more harm, I've taken my website and all my files offline again.

They may be offline for quite a while, sadly, as I have little time to take care of this matter now or in the near future. My levels are probably going to be hosted by friends until my webspace is officially declared safe by the hosting company, or until I can find a new hosting company (I've been meaning to move the site anyway; may as well do it now...ish. For a value of 'now' that may mean 'November'.)  I may sign up with flickr or some similar site for screenshot hosting in the interim.

Oh, and just to clarify: nobody actually got a virus alert when visiting my site, and all the code that I inspected looked fine, and there were no files I couldn't identify on there. So, as far as I can tell, there really *shouldn't* be anything nasty on there. But if there is even a tiny possibility that there's something basically invisible hiding somewhere, I can't leave my site online with a good conscience. Hence tonight's removal.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 19, 2010, 05:16:05 »
Latest screenshot of the map:

Zydragazum

« Reply #239 on: July 19, 2010, 05:26:43 »
It's grandiose! I can't wait to play it. I hope my level can achieve such dimensions. XD

Edit: Great to see that your levels are back on Knytt Levels! I replayed Falling Water. The moment I heard the theme from William and Sly, I totally knew you had some inspiration from that. :) Coincidentally, I played it a few days ago.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 05:39:15 by Zydragazum »