[Environmental] Falling Water

• 401 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental] Falling Water
« Reply #195 on: March 18, 2010, 13:18:41 »
Built an awesome underground village yesterday.

No screenshot, though.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 18, 2010, 13:34:41 »
ajreoshgporeiharnweioöfejwaraiuwehwqioniov

It's so hard not to post screenshots.

« Reply #197 on: March 18, 2010, 18:55:06 »
Just give us a screen number update. That should suffice.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 18, 2010, 19:02:30 »
Just give us a screen number update. That should suffice.

Sadly, still around the same number as last time I posted a screen number: 320ish. It's not really the amount of what I've done recently that's awesome; it's *what* I've done with those few, new screens.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 19, 2010, 02:37:04 »
Bit of a growth spurt today. I don't have an exact number, but I think it may have crossed the 330 threshold today.

I love my new little village so much... (it only accounts for three of the new screens, though - it's a very tiny village).

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 24, 2010, 22:23:22 »
Hmph, are you still working on this? It's been a while since you last posted.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #201 on: May 25, 2010, 10:28:13 »

Last time we spoke she said her RL became really busy, but she wasn't planning on abandonind Falling Water.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2010, 21:02:46 »

Yep, I am. Well, or rather, I will work on it again, once RL leaves me the time for it. At the moment it's impossible to do much of anything that isn't work or uni. :-(

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2010, 14:53:57 »
Know what? I think I'll work on this a bit today. Important RL work be damned. I need a relaxing holiday in my own little world.

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 18, 2010, 21:00:50 »
That's good news! I'm kinda returning to the KS community, so if you need a tester, I guess you know where the PM button is!  C)
(Btw, do you even remember me? I sure hope so)
(Btw/btw: I didn't know you were a girl. Funny finding that out like this!)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2010, 01:33:50 »
That's good news! I'm kinda returning to the KS community, so if you need a tester, I guess you know where the PM button is!  C)
(Btw, do you even remember me? I sure hope so)
(Btw/btw: I didn't know you were a girl. Funny finding that out like this!)

Yeah, I haven't forgotten about you guys, don't worry! Nor have I forgotten about KS. I'm fairly constant in my interests - when I like something, you can be fairly sure I'll still like it the next year, and the year after, etc. So, really, after a whole year now of working on Falling Water, it's extremely unlikely I'd just drop the project.

I'm not sure if the word "girl" applies to me anymore, btw. I'm rather old... Makes me feel *slightly* odd here, sometimes, but I've mostly gotten over that. ;-)

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #206 on: June 19, 2010, 22:15:12 »
Yay, Hmpf is back! Welcome back Hmpf!  C)p
(Yeah, I realize you're still very busy, just being happy here :))

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 21, 2010, 13:59:11 »
Yay, Hmpf is back! Welcome back Hmpf!  C)p
(Yeah, I realize you're still very busy, just being happy here :))

I was never gone! Just lurking! :-)

I've built a couple of really awesome cities/villages recently... I love crazy, vertically layered cities. Sadly, there's some limits to building those in a 2D game... The current one's giving me quite a headache because I have to be inconsistent in some ways - some ladders and stairs you can climb, and others you can't. I realise that from a game design point of view that is bad. But I just love the look too much to do away with the inconsistency entirely. (And there's no way to build these screens without inconsistencies.)

I've also committed the sin of placing a very 'flat' tileset and two very '3D' ones in close proximity. The colours of the more 3D alternatives to the flat one didn't fit the area so well. (I suppose I could have tried to adjust the colours, but I'm trying to build the most complex world I can manage with only the available, unaltered tilesets here.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 14:02:20 by Hmpf »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 22, 2010, 00:25:43 »
Errm. You know I have trouble grasping the concept of when it is appropriate to post screenshots. ;-) I know I've posted an awful lot... does that mean that most people would prefer me to not post any screenshots anymore, ever, for this level? Or is there a point at which it would be okay to post a new screenshot?

ETA: Ah well, the least I can do is post a screencount. (No guarantees that it's right, though - it's getting difficult to count the screens...): 343 screens. I think.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 00:42:04 by Hmpf »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #209 on: June 22, 2010, 04:06:01 »
You've already got the reputation for screen shot over-posting. You might as well revel in it. I'm planning a very tall city in my big project, and I haven't quite figured out how to make it realistic, attractive, and interesting to play. I was curious to see the difficulties you' were describing with your city, and then actually surprised to find no pictures.

I'm not necessarily saying you should post more pictures. I've never made an environmental, so I have no personal measuring stick for what counts as a spoiler here.