[Environmental] Falling Water

• 401 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental] Falling Water
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2010, 22:09:36 »
New screens are nice, the tunnel full of prison cells is a good idea  :)

Thanks.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #151 on: February 21, 2010, 16:59:58 »
I must agree. Really good idea.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2010, 23:23:07 »
I must agree. Really good idea.

Thanks! I love tileset serendipity... (which is one reason why I honestly love working with pre-existing tilesets.)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 22, 2010, 03:22:39 »
OMG. Concept sketch explosion!

Here's some results. These are tileset and colour combinations I'm pretty sure will end up in the level somehow, though probably not in exactly the form you see here.

ETA: The first three are from a series which yielded several usable concepts. The fourth one is from another series that yielded another usable result beside this, which is, however, still very rough.

ETA2: Eeeek, I'm doing it again: posting far too many screenshots. Seriously, if I continue like this nobody will have to play the level... :-(

Anybody know of a working cure against excessive posting? Maybe I should ask the mods to block me! :D

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:38:14 by Hmpf »

« Reply #154 on: February 22, 2010, 04:10:36 »
Anybody know of a working cure against excessive posting?
Perhaps you could post small screens. Like 2 or 3 tiles square. It would show a bit of the look of the screen without spoiling the whole thing.
Lurk more.

Nakelyo

« Reply #155 on: February 22, 2010, 10:28:41 »
Amazing screens again, love the fourth screen  :D

And I agree with Purple Pineapple's solution  :)

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2010, 12:36:49 »
Yes, the fourth screen is great

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 22, 2010, 20:31:33 »
I like the colours in the third one.
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2010, 20:53:38 »
@Purple Pineapple: That's a simple yet brilliant idea, I think I'll do that from now on. Maybe, if I can find the time, I'll even go back and change all the already uploaded images in this thread to small, icon-type ones... With my glacier-like speed, by the time I publish this level everyone will have forgotten the original screenshots if I remove them now, I bet! ;-)

@Feline Monstrosity: Yeah, it's mostly the colors I love in the third, too. I think I'll make considerable changes to how I'm using the various elements, though - I'm not really happy with that... Well, it was just a colour combination test.

@Everyone: What, no love for the second screen? I actually think that's the best one - minimalist and bold. (I love decoration, but I also get minimalism, and occasionally *really* love it.) I've been looking for ages for the perfect tileset and background with which to combine the 'plants' from the 'That Place Where...' tileset, and I think I've finally found them!

« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2010, 01:55:41 »
Re @everyone: The first and the last two screens are beautiful. The second screen, however, gives me the impression of a dusty cave environment. Now that I look at it more closely, it does look like a great setting, but then again they all do.
Lurk more.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2010, 02:17:17 »
The second screen, however, gives me the impression of a dusty cave environment.

That's probably because it *is* a dusty cave environment. *g*

« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2010, 04:48:55 »
I was pointing out its contrast to the other screens, which look more decorative. :P
Lurk more.

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2010, 17:59:11 »
I like the second screen too. The first and last are my least favourite, because they are more boring.
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2010, 21:28:00 »
I like the second screen too. The first and last are my least favourite, because they are more boring.

Yeah, I know the last in particular is not exactly original. I often try to do something at least *slightly* original with my screens, but not always - sometimes I just like the 'normal' look of a tileset so much that I want to have it in my level even if it's been done a million times before. :-) Smashy's green village is a prime example for that. Every time I see the bog-standard green village from the All-purpose Tileset in a level I just feel unreasonably happy, so *of course* I want it in my level, too! Same goes for the 'Machine' caves. :-)

I'm glad you appreciate the second screen! I'd originally built it with the grey version of the tileset and only discovered how well the red version went with the 'flowers' by accident; I'm always delighted when something like that happens... it's part of what makes KS level building such tremendous fun, this serendipity effect.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2010, 22:11:48 »
The second screen is boring since there is nothing in it, and the third screen just looks off. I think it might be because of the colors.
The first and last screens look the best, though they are using fairly common tilesets, so I can definitely see why some find them boring.
Cheesecakes.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D