Re: [Environmental] Falling Water
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2010, 03:24:42 »

(@PYP: will try to reply tomorrow.)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2010, 00:26:18 »
No time, today, for my planned rambling about transitions, alas.

259. Mostly rebuilt some older screens I didn't like. Now I like them a lot.

Also, it's taking all my willpower to *not* post screenshots of at least three new areas I've started recently. Really. Epic amounts of willpower. MUST. NOT. SPOIL. ENTIRE. LEVEL. ARRGH.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 00:45:04 by Hmpf »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2010, 04:59:33 »
No time today, either, but: combined map screenshot! Behold Falling Water at 270 screens minus one! (I think. It's been a while since I did a proper count, area by area.)

Couple of notes:

The long horizontal line of screens, bottom right, is not part of the level (and not included in the screen count). It's just a series of concept sketches for areas still to be built.

The vertical line of screens in the middle *is* part of the level, but not part of the screen count, because it's just a bit of sky which I put there so as to have an axis around which to orient the level.

Oh, and the City, the part of the level you guys already know? That's in the upper right third of the map. Everything below and to the left of that is new.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2010, 10:20:30 »

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2010, 17:31:44 »
That looks very nice.
I very much enjoyed testing the first one, and I hope I will also do so for this one.
I am still tester, I hope.

Btw, how many screens is is gonna get? (estimate?)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2010, 18:55:10 »
That looks very nice.
I very much enjoyed testing the first one, and I hope I will also do so for this one.
I am still tester, I hope.

Sure!

Btw, how many screens is is gonna get? (estimate?)

Many. Manymanymany. Very rough guesstimate: hmm... it's beginning to look like 800 or so. Now that the general outline of the world is almost finished, it's a bit easier to estimate how much is still needed to fill it in.

I'll probably release the second part at around 600 screens (100 of which are the first part), though I may chop it into two releases if I happen to finish one side of the world a bit sooner than the other, as looks likely at the moment. The last part (either the third or the fourth, depending on whether I chop the second part into two) will be smaller again, though probably still bigger than the first part was; maybe around 200 screens; and it will be a separate 'continent', so it will make sense to release it separately.

« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2010, 22:50:27 »
Cute Level.

Underoath - It's Dangerous Business Just Walking Out Your Front Door.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2010, 23:37:56 »
Cute Level.

Thanks.

Well, time for another progress report. I've slowed down a bit due to RL stuff again (job hunting: so much fun. *sigh*) but I've made a few new screens in the last couple of days, and improved some older ones, as well. So, the latest screen count is 275 (I think. Kinda hard to keep track of it...)

Nakelyo

« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2010, 08:12:29 »
Wow love how you designed the screenies  :D Definetely a level I'l look forward to   :)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2010, 21:55:54 »
Wow love how you designed the screenies  :D Definetely a level I'l look forward to   :)

Thanks! I think I crossed the 300 screens mark yesterday...

« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2010, 22:00:51 »
Roughly halfway there? Good luck! 8D

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2010, 22:02:13 »
Roughly halfway there? Good luck! 8D

Heh, yes, I hope so! (You never know: when I was at 100 screens, I still believed I'd be done at 300...)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2010, 03:40:55 »
Huh. I just discovered a bit of nasty history that I really didn't expect. (Sometimes a screen experiment just looks so *right* that it feels like it always was part of the world... so now I have to find a way to accommodate that screen - and the ones that will develop from it - in my world's history...)

ETA: Err, okay, I think I'm being a bit too mysterious here. Well, basically, I'd meant to put something nice into that nook - maybe a small garden. But that prison just goes really well with the rusty... structure; and the idea of a whole rusty 'cliff' dotted with prisons like that just sparked my imagination. I think the history of the world of Falling Water had some really unpleasant periods...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 03:44:44 by Hmpf »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2010, 20:25:26 »
There may be something just slightly disturbing about how excited I am about building a whole tunnel system full of prison cells.

ETA: Here, have one more screenshot.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 20:28:57 by Hmpf »

Nakelyo

« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2010, 09:02:00 »
New screens are nice, the tunnel full of prison cells is a good idea  :)