[Environmental] Falling Water

• 401 Replies

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
Re: [Environmental] Falling Water
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2009, 09:56:23 »
This level seems to be really very nice.
I really looking forward it.
The screenshots are great.

« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2009, 10:20:50 »
I givez 2 thumbz up! :awsum:
another level i havez to wait forz!

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2009, 17:32:54 »

@Xia: thanks for the tip!

@RunMan: yeah, I'm getting pretty sick of the eternal grey myself. Unfortunately I need to stick with it for all external environments in this level, as grey skies and rain is the only weather that ever happens in this world. Strictly speaking "skies" is the wrong word here, but to say more would be spoiling... ;-)

@Comhon, Strange Darkness: thanks, and sorry I'm so slow! I wish I could build this faster... but, RL time issues aside, I also seem to run out of inspiration if I do more than three to six screens in one day. So, I figure, better to build three or six good screens in a day than to quickly build lots of bad screens just to be finished. (I'm still hundreds of screens from being finished, of course.)

I'm really hoping for the Christmas holidays... there should be some more time then.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2009, 17:44:20 »
@Comhon, Strange Darkness: thanks, and sorry I'm so slow! I wish I could build this faster... but, RL time issues aside, I also seem to run out of inspiration if I do more than three to six screens in one day. So, I figure, better to build three or six good screens in a day than to quickly build lots of bad screens just to be finished. (I'm still hundreds of screens from being finished, of course.)
Don't worry I am slower than you. I am making ONE level more than a year...

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2009, 03:13:14 »
197. :-)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2009, 05:13:02 »
And..... behold: Screen no. 200!!!

« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2009, 06:13:59 »
Yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay etc. etc. etc. :D
Lurk more.

« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2009, 07:47:16 »
Don't worry I am slower than you. I am making ONE level more than a year...

Dam! you bet me.. My empty corridor been going for a year and if i realease on due date (which i shall!) it would be two years  :ohnoes:

also i really like that screen... the brown its overwhelming  :nuts:

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2009, 11:58:29 »
I think that those light and dark brown contrast too much, with this blue colors as background.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2009, 14:16:17 »
And..... behold: Screen no. 200!!!
I don't know, what to say. Great.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2009, 15:35:34 »
I think that those light and dark brown contrast too much, with this blue colors as background.

What colour would you use for the background? Just curious. As I said, for plot/worldbuilding reasons I can't change the background (nor the ground, really), but I don't even find the grey aesthetically unfitting in this case so I'm curious what you think would be better.

The short version of the worldbuilding rule I set myself for all outside scenes in this level is: the ground has to look - more or less - like something natural that could exist in the real world, and the sky has to be a (light) grey/blue-grey. For the ground, green, brown and grey are acceptable colours. The level gets more colourful once we move into the caves beneath the surface of this world.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2009, 01:40:53 »
205. I don't really like most of what I built today, though, so I may scrap/redo those screens later.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2009, 20:25:52 »
215. Productive holidays. A garden and a forest.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2009, 01:52:20 »
217 now. With which I'll take myself to bed.

The attached screenshots will give you an idea which tilesets I'm currently working with. Yes, there will be the requisite Smashy's Multi-Purpose Tileset Village (tm) in this level, just as there was the obligatory Rickard Andersson's Hanseatic Town (tm) in it. And I'm not even sure I'll do anything surprising with Smashy's tileset, like I did with the Hanseatic Town one in the lower part of the City in the first part. There's only so much messing with perfection you can do without ending up with something that's, well, *not* perfect anymore, and that tileset of Smashy's *is* perfection. (So is the Hanseatic Town one, but I was hit with a moment of unusual inspiration there.) Anyway... this level is largely a tribute to all my favourite tilesets, and I love the green village you can build from Smashy's so much that I simply couldn't do without it.

« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2009, 05:44:03 »
Nice mix of tilesets in the first one.
Lurk more.