[Environmental] Falling Water

• 401 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental] Falling Water
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2009, 01:42:29 »
The concave ones are sunk in the ground. *g*
That may be, but it's not like it forms a laws of the universe anomaly.

Well, no, but it looks kinda bad anyway, because it's not consistent with the way the grass and flowers look on the flat parts of the ground.

I'm just wondering if either - the floaty flowers and the sunk ones - is bad enough to forego that tileset combination altogether. Because, as I said, I like the *overall* effect of the combination rather a lot.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2009, 02:16:53 »
Okay, I've played around with this screen concept a bit more and I think this version looks better, although there's still floaty parts (but they appear slightly less floaty, mostly - the right-side one is slightly worse than the left-side one, though).

http://www.allabouthmpf.com/sge slightly improved.png

« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2009, 02:23:48 »
Cool. The SGE does seem less evident.
Lurk more.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2009, 02:25:45 »
It also looks more appropriate for an underground space. The white plants make more sense than green ones... I think I'll keep this version.

Which means that now I've used my three favourite Lingon tilesets in Falling Water. Hooray! :D

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2009, 17:36:23 »
Two new images at http://www.allabouthmpf.com/falling water.htm.

And I've lost count of screens, but it's somewhere in the low to mid 170s, I think. (Falling Water total, not just part two.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 17:38:21 by Hmpf »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2009, 20:35:15 »
Counted all the screens yesterday... the new total is 182 (for parts 1 and 2 combined). About eight or so new this week; still no new cats. But I'm busy writing cat dialogue. Practically all the story has to go in the cat dialogue, which is quite a challenge!

I'm beginning to see how big part 2 of this level will be: probably around 400 screens (built so far: 74). Part 3, which will complete the level, will be somewhere between parts 1 and 2 in size; maybe 200 or so.

Yes, I'll be at this for a while... *g*

I may still decide to split part 2 in two. It would certainly make sense if you look at the size... and it would allow you guys to get your hands on at least the first part of it a bit sooner.

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2009, 11:46:37 »
If you think that's better, you should.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2009, 23:54:28 »
Agreed. In anything that requires creating (painting, architecture, writing, singing, game-making), always do what you think is best. ;)
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2009, 01:05:08 »
Agreed. In anything that requires creating (painting, architecture, writing, singing, game-making), always do what you think is best. ;)

Oh, it will make no difference for the quality of the end result - it'd just get part of the level out to the audience a bit sooner, is all. Basically, it's a choice between releasing ca. 400 screens ca. March next year, or releasing 200 screens ca. December/January, and another 200 in March. Or whenever. *g*

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2009, 01:18:35 »

Oh, it will make no difference for the quality of the end result - it'd just get part of the level out to the audience a bit sooner, is all. Basically, it's a choice between releasing ca. 400 screens ca. March next year, or releasing 200 screens ca. December/January, and another 200 in March. Or whenever. *g*
First, I'd like to say that *g* is a weird emote. X) Second, it's up to you. If you don't know, flip a coin.
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2009, 01:58:18 »
First, I'd like to say that *g* is a weird emote. X) Second, it's up to you. If you don't know, flip a coin.

I think *g* is just old. *g* and its derivatives (*eg* etc.) were used a lot more when I first became active on the internet, ca. 1998. I guess I'm showing my age when I use it... *g* (To show my age some more: all the anime/manga-derived emoticons that are so common today feel kinda weird to me... Well, most do, anyway. Actually, I rather like this one: o.O *g* But most of the other ones I simply can't decipher.)

As for the release question, that's really something I'm deliberately choosing to keep open until I've built more of the level, because only then will I be able to decide whether it makes sense for the level's story to be split up like that. I wasn't really looking for an answer to the question; just giving an update about the level's progress and my thoughts about it.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2009, 02:12:25 »
It's been ages since I posted a screenshot...

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2009, 04:53:52 »
And it's been ages since I posted the last screen count, as well.

194, now. Yeah, not a big increase since the 182 of several months ago, but, well, RL is being a bitch.

Offline Xia

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2009, 05:18:29 »
This music source was given to me for my level, but I think you would have great use of it also: http://sphericlounge.blogspot.com/
They make ambient music under a creative commons license so just give them credit and you're set.
Downloading from them is tricky though, you have to click on the arrow when it's on the song you want and then it will open a new window. From there, go to File>Save Page As. This will download an mp3 to your computer.

Can't wait for the final product of this, it looks amazing.
[medium size, two endings, hard difficulty] Flight.
Coming soon! The Quest of Unknown Length

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2009, 07:55:21 »
Pretty nice screen. I would change gradient anyways.