[Environmental] Falling Water

• 401 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental] Falling Water
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2009, 23:49:08 »
@everyone: sorry I disappeared so abruptly, Real Life suddenly and unexpectedly got very busy over the last few weeks.

@Yonowaaru: There's no custom music as of yet (sorting that out is one thing I wanted to do in the last two weeks, but couldn't get around to), so you wouldn't miss anything but ambiance if you tested the level on a computer without a soundcard. I'd be thrilled to have another tester, so if you have the time, feel free to test!

I'm going to PM you to send you a link to the very latest version.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2009, 14:57:08 »
Right, I think part 1 is finished now. I'll play it through one more time to make sure I didn't forget to fix anything, though. I'll probably post it in a couple of hours (because I'll only get around to testing it once I've a) washed my hair and b) had a bite to eat).

There is even a little bit of music now; not a lot, though, for reasons I'll explain when I post.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2009, 22:54:16 »
Part 2 status report: 24 screens and growing. This will be *huge*...

(Not as funny as the first part, though, I'm afraid. There's simply not enough people around to provide the humour. Caves and forests aren't that funny by themselves. *g*)

ETA: Added two screenshots (both very recent, so subject to change).

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 23:54:44 by Hmpf »

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2009, 12:09:36 »
I like the use of the WADF2 wasteland set,  it's nice.
Also, for more humor, add funny text bubbles and cats!

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2009, 18:26:44 »
Also, for more humor, add funny text bubbles and cats!

Oh, there will be cats, don't worry! (Gotta get the most out of that purr sound file! :D)

But they're also going to be the main purveyors of useful information in the second part, so there's less opportunity for humour. Much of the cat text will be 'serious'.

Also, I'm not sure how much humour I can get out of them. Much of what was funny in part 1 was situation-based, and in part 2, the cats are practically the only potential source of 'dialogue', and with them, the situation is always basically the same: you pet them, and they give you a bit of dialogue.

The second part will be nice to look at, however, and there'll be lots of area to explore... I built an underground garden that looks quite nice, yesterday.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2009, 02:41:33 »
Part 2 progress report:

Screen count: 40; still only a tiny percentage of the area I intend to build

Cat count: 2 so far. *g*

Attached: screenshot of confusing underground gardens.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 02:47:38 by Hmpf »

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2009, 04:59:49 »
Cool. Can't wait for this to come out! :D
Lurk more.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2009, 05:07:11 »
Cool. Can't wait for this to come out! :D
Seconded. :) And I know this is rather early, but I would love to beta test again. I'm aiming to secure a spot early on. ;)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2009, 03:06:22 »
@ Pick Yer Poison: of course you may beta! :-)

Progress report: 51 screens, no new cats since yesterday.

Also, because I'm weak, screenshots. (Spoilerphobes simply shouldn't visit this thread. *g*)

ETA: Is it wrong to occasionally get ZOMG I LOVE MY OWN SCREENSHOTS!!!11! feelings? It feels kind of... dirty... but I can't help it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:10:45 by Hmpf »

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2009, 04:16:01 »
@ Pick Yer Poison: of course you may beta! :-)
:D
ETA: Is it wrong to occasionally get ZOMG I LOVE MY OWN SCREENSHOTS!!!11! feelings? It feels kind of... dirty... but I can't help it.
No, that's quite fine. I personally think that if you dislike the screens you make for your own level, you're making them wrong. ;)

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2009, 04:52:48 »
No, that's quite fine. I personally think that if you dislike the screens you make for your own level, you're making them wrong. ;)
You are your own worst critic.
Lurk more.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2009, 05:40:49 »
You are your own worst critic.
True. I'll rephrase that, then: If you like the screens you make for your level, you're making them right. [/offtopic]

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2009, 14:20:55 »
It's quite odd, with me and creativity: I am a perfectionist, so I tend to work really hard on whatever I do, and find lots of faults while I do. But when I'm done with something, even if I still see flaws, I usually love it. Or rather, the point where I feel that I love it despite some remaining flaws is usually the point where I consider a piece of work 'done'. (Of course, nothing is ever really done.)

I know this is somewhat unusual, because a lot of creative people seem to always hate the results of their work.

Anyway... level making is different from the other things I do, like writing, and making jewellery, in that it feels effortless - like I'm doing it in a trance and then suddenly, when I wake, find it done, and am amazed by the results. So sometimes I feel like I haven't worked hard enough, or consciously enough, to love the results so much... *g*

(As always, a lot of the credit really belongs to the tileset designers, of course. I'm just combining their stuff...)

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2009, 15:23:10 »
Wow, I'm exactly the same when making a piece of music!
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2009, 22:05:09 »
Progress Report:

No new screens since last time, BUT: I finally figured out my world's history, which is a huge step forward. Now all I have to do is find a way to tell that history using only cats... *g*

(Did I mention this is actually a science fiction level? I think I didn't...)