[Environmental] Falling Water

• 401 Replies

Offline koromi

• ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
    • View Profile
    • livejournal
Re: [Environmental] Falling Water
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 06:16:42 »
use bank 0, object 11. no-climb does exactly as the name implies, making it so you can't climb even if you have the climb powerup. you have to put it directly over the top of tiles you don't want climbable.

Offline bunnrey

• still working...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 06:57:36 »
I'm aspiring to the bunnrey type of first level. (Caverns was a first level, wasn't it?

yes,it was. I am flattered.  :)

could I please beta test? I know that you said you have all the beta testers you need but I really like this level!

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 15:00:53 »
use bank 0, object 11. no-climb does exactly as the name implies, making it so you can't climb even if you have the climb powerup. you have to put it directly over the top of tiles you don't want climbable.

Yeah, I know how to make it work, technically - I just don't know how to make it work logically for some areas of the towers to be climbable while others are not, with no clear visual distinction between them. I really think it's probably best to make do without climbing in that area entirely, and possibly without jumping, too, except perhaps down (Juni could meet someone who tells her it's dangerous to jump because it's too slippery, perhaps), and navigate it entirely by shifts via the doors.

I'm aspiring to the bunnrey type of first level. (Caverns was a first level, wasn't it?

yes,it was. I am flattered.  :)

could I please beta test? I know that you said you have all the beta testers you need but I really like this level!

No such thing as too many beta testers! :-) The level isn't ready yet, but I'll contact you - and the others - when it is.

Oh, and this isn't flattery, honestly, but Caverns is one of my top five or so favourite levels. So *I* am flattered that you'd like to beta my level. :-)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 02:51:09 »
Approaching 90 playable, non-repeated screens now, if I didn't miscount. The Lower City is turning out rather larger than I expected; it just grows and grows and grows. Also, a (semi)secret area has sprung up unexpectedly tonight. There isn't *much* missing anymore, though, so I expect a final screen count of around 100 for the first part of Falling Water.

Should I still call the first part a 'small' environmental if it's around 100 screens?

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 03:33:54 »
Should I still call the first part a 'small' environmental if it's around 100 screens?
I'd say small or medium would do, depending on what you prefer. But that's my opinion.

Anyway, this looks great! Can't wait to play it! :^^:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 17:29:25 by Pick Yer Poison »

Offline Cosine

• func_dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 17:10:22 »
On the topic of music: 8bitpeoples has music under a CC license, should you need any chiptunes.
game developer, musician, level designer

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 17:26:12 »
On the topic of music: 8bitpeoples has music under a CC license, should you need any chiptunes.

I don't think that would fit the atmosphere of the level, but thanks anyway! :-)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2009, 15:24:51 »
92 screens, now, and four yet to make - plus x, with x<10. So, yeah, it'll end up at nearly exactly 100 screens.

If I give the size as 'small/medium', will that sabotage KS' filtering mechanism? Because in that case I'd decide on one of the two; but if it's possible to indicate that it's sort of on the large side of small and on the small side of medium, I'd prefer to do that.

Offline Cosine

• func_dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2009, 17:27:10 »
You should just label it Medium, 100 screens isn't very small.
game developer, musician, level designer

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2009, 20:29:44 »
A useful note to level creators:

Making something approaching a labyrinth using shifts as the main mode of navigation is hell. Don't try it unless you're a masochist.

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2009, 21:57:53 »
Wait.. shifting is masochism?
Lurk more.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2009, 22:07:53 »
Wait.. shifting is masochism?

Not shifting as such... But constructing a labyrinth/several branching and intertwining paths spanning fourteen screens, with up to three shifts per screen? Yep, that's masochism. I've been working on this section for days, and I'm still confused about which shift needs to go where, etc. *g*

ETA: I'm talking about this area:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 22:10:30 by Hmpf »

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2009, 22:10:07 »
If I tried something like that, I'd plan out the whole thing on paper, then make the screens, then add the shifts one by one. Just tedious.
Lurk more.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2009, 22:15:22 »
If I tried something like that, I'd plan out the whole thing on paper, then make the screens, then add the shifts one by one. Just tedious.

Yeah, I tried to plan it on paper, but what I came up with on paper just didn't look nice enough when translated into actual screens. So now I'm trying to find a compromise between workability and aesthetics, by experimenting directly in the editor.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2009, 00:49:41 »
Wheeeee! I just figured out how to make a window transparent! I'm learning so many things for this level!

Does that constitute a significant enough alteration of a tileset to necessitate contacting the tileset author to ask him for permission, do you think? I suppose it does, although it does not change the look of the tileset in the slightest; it just allows me to put some of the tiles on layer 6/7 so Juni can run behind them.

I hope Rickard Andersson still has an account on this forum so I may contact him...