[Environmental] Falling Water

• 401 Replies

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental] Falling Water
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 00:58:47 »
I'm aspiring to the bunnrey type of first level. (Caverns was a first level, wasn't it?)

Hey, nothing wrong with aiming high, eh? ;-)

I just hope my perfectionism and my ambition to make a *big* level won't mean that it will never be finished. I am fairly persistent, which means this will probably not be given up on, even if it takes a while - but on the downside, 'a while' is occasionally measured in years in Hmpfland.
Nothing wrong with going for the gold on your first try. That's what I did! ;)

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 01:15:47 »
So did I, although I failed miserably. :P
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 17:44:36 »
Just because I'm thrilled with what I've made recently, another screenshot. Mind you, it's only half as cool as a picture as it is when you're actually playing the level. See, the 'stars' in the background (which aren't stars, but never mind that now) are *glittering*... but not in the very brilliant way they do when you use the objects from the decoration object bank. They glitter in a very... subtle kind of way.

Also, status report: 63 connected, playable, non-repeating screens now (60 if I can't manage to contact Sinix, because in that case I will have to rebuild three) - not counting the half-finished later parts. The only section of the first part that's still missing is the Lower City, which will be between nine and twelve screens, I think; perhaps slightly larger. I'm thinking about releasing the city and sewers as a sort of small environmental of their own, that you later can overwrite with the complete (or at least, a larger ;-)) version of the level. What do you think?

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 01:39:22 »
Improved version, because I can't stop tinkering.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 14:25:13 »
This is the last screenshot, I promise. Well, the last screenshot before the first part of the level is posted, that is (I'm going to need beta testers soon! First I need to figure out the flag warp etc. thing, though.)

I'm sorry, I'm posting far too many screenshots, but I'm so excited about what you can do with all the great tilesets out there, I just have to share. I'm a bit like a little kid who's made a present for someone and now can't wait for Christmas to give it to them... I do hope that I'll learn to rein in my screenshot habit a bit in the later parts of the level.

Well. This is the Lower City, or part of it anyway. Rickard Andersson's Hanseatic Town and Sinix's forest tileset... two great tastes that go great together - somewhat surprisingly, considering how different in style the tilesets are! I've had a sort of sketch of this sitting around for a while, but only built a proper screen (well, a couple) today.

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 21:12:50 »
OH MY .......
Sorry for that. I was just overwhelmed by its sheer awesomeness...
Oh, and I could Beta-test, if you need it.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 21:34:28 »
OH MY .......
Sorry for that. I was just overwhelmed by its sheer awesomeness...

Thanks! Of course, at least 60% or 70% (ETA: or perhaps even 80%... Hmm... ;-)) of the awesomeness is simply due to the tilesets, which are, well, awesome! :-) I'm like a kid in a candy store going through them, deciding what to combine with what, and what to build with the combination...

Oh, and I could Beta-test, if you need it.

Yay! I'll contact you when it's ready, okay? I still need to build the rest of the city (and a part of that is going to be tricky), and get the hang of flag warps, but I do think it'll be ready in a couple of weeks.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 21:45:01 by Hmpf »

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 21:48:52 »
I'll beta test too, though... I might get busy here soon.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 21:50:05 »
Are there beta testers now?
Lurk more.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 22:04:17 »
Yonowaaru and Bored2Death, so far. Couldn't hurt to have one more, if this is you volunteering, that is... Especially since, being really bad at playing KS, I myself can't really test some areas properly (ceilings etc.; there aren't any challenges in this level, but skilled players may decide they want to climb or jump to places I wouldn't even think of reaching, and find a void or wallswim there).

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 22:07:55 »
Yeah. I want to beta test.
Lurk more.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2009, 01:46:21 »
Welcome aboard, then!

(Completely OT, but I just checked some member info pages here and holy f*****g s**t... I did expect to be older than most here, but maybe not *quite* that much older... *boggles* - Is there anybody here who isn't in their early teens? (ETA: okay, so the first sample I saw was a bit skewed toward the younger side of the board population. *g*) Don't get me wrong - I don't mind the age difference; you may be decades younger than me, but you're clearly experts at level building, so I bow to your authority with respect, and with gratitude for the help you're giving me! But I would feel slightly less bizarre if someone told me that I'm not the only thirtysomething around. ;-))
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 01:14:11 by Hmpf »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 01:12:18 »
*gnnnnnnnnnn* *arrrrghlll* Must. Not. Post. Screenshot!!!

Oh, heck. This really *is* the last one, I think. Honestly.

Offline koromi

• ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
    • View Profile
    • livejournal
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 06:17:56 »
that would have to be one the best screens i've seen in knytt stories.
i very anxiously await this.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2009, 14:30:12 »
that would have to be one the best screens i've seen in knytt stories.
i very anxiously await this.

Thank you!

I'm having some major trouble with making that section work, though, (it'll probably have to be by shifts; there doesn't seem to be a logical, intuitive way of making some parts of it climbable and others 'off limits'), so it will probably take a little longer than I thought to finish.