[Environmental] Falling Water

• 401 Replies

Offline Lit Knob

• Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental] Falling Water
« Reply #375 on: July 26, 2023, 01:47:12 »
I'm here since late 2021, but I really wished this level was finished at some point.
I'm glad you're back after all this time. :)

There is a tool to automatically count screens:
https://nifflas.lp1.nl/index.php?topic=6682.0
"The flaw expert" -egomassive

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #376 on: July 26, 2023, 13:13:38 »
It's such a nice surprise to see you're still working on this. Welcome back! :D
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 31, 2023, 10:55:16 »
Kinda sidetracked by travelling, hence not online much, these past few days, but I dived back into warps and shifts yesterday. I think I'm having the same problems with them that I had the first time around, but since I managed to figure it out once before, I hope (and am somewhat confident) I'll figure it out again. :D Don't expect great shift wizardry from me, ever, though. I don't think I'll ever be that kind of level maker.

Also working on the look for a small new area.

& Thanks for the welcome back!!!

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 31, 2023, 18:25:38 »
I'm here since late 2021, but I really wished this level was finished at some point.
I'm glad you're back after all this time. :)

There is a tool to automatically count screens:
https://nifflas.lp1.nl/index.php?topic=6682.0

Thanks for this, it sounds extremely useful!

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 31, 2023, 20:46:24 »
I'm on vacation in the north, and it's raining strongly and pretty much non stop. Very inspiring for working on Falling Water! Unfortunately I'm here with family, so I can't just sit around and knytt all day, no matter how inhospitable (and fitting) the weather.

ETA: To Do List/Progress Report on page 25 updated.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 22:07:25 by Hmpf »

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 01, 2023, 01:11:46 »
If you're looking to learn more about warps and shifts, people have made some demo levels to exemplify some concepts. I collected them and put them on my KS resource list: https://www.catherinesinow.com/knyttresources
More to come I'm sure. The most recent demo level was made just a couple days ago
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 01, 2023, 23:51:35 »
Thanks, Lucinda! I'd already looked at some older tutorial levels but I don't learn well like that; I have to just... do stuff and analyse the results. Anyway, I'm getting there, I think. And this level doesn't require advanced shifting/warping, anyway, thankfully.

Added in some more warps today, visually improved some screens, and built three or so new ones, bringing the total of new screens since the "resurrection" up to 10, so the screen count now is... whatever it was before I stopped in 2013 (539, if I didn't miscount then?) plus 10. So, possibly, the next one will be 550?! Wheeeee!!!

Biggest roadblock today is that I discovered one of the tilesets I used back then has "no use! FU" written at the bottom. I *think* it's one I probably had permission for despite this, because I usually respect people's wishes and wouldn't even start working with a tileset if the creator forbade it so clearly; it may also have been part of a set of tilesets released in bulk by the creator a while after they released their levels. But, I don't *remember*, which means I may have been using it without permission purely by error? Because of course mistakes happen. And I don't remember who made it, and I don't remember asking for permission. So I'm really uncertain about that tileset now. Unfortunately I've already used it in an entire area. There's other tilesets that do something similar, so I could probably replace it with one of those if necessary, but, ugh.

Mostly this has made me aware that I really need to check *all* the tilesets I've used in this level so far (the second part, anyway; for the first part, permission was definitely acquired for all tilesets that didn't already come with a blanket permission), and it seems to kind of border on the impossible to really find out what the permission situation was back then, for a lot of my tileset collection from 10 years ago. :-/

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 02, 2023, 03:26:39 »
and built three or so new ones, bringing the total of new screens since the "resurrection" up to 10, so the screen count now is... whatever it was before I stopped in 2013 (539, if I didn't miscount then?) plus 10. So, possibly, the next one will be 550?! Wheeeee!!!
Well, that's why I mentioned the tool. :P

Biggest roadblock today is that I discovered one of the tilesets I used back then has "no use! FU" written at the bottom.
Oh, that must be one of Nifflas' expansion levels' tilesets.
Everyone can use them now, the license was updated recently: https://nifflas.lp1.nl/index.php?topic=7363.0

The original versions said "Do NOT use this tileset in your own levels! It's reserved for Nifflas' expansion levels."
I updated their info bars.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 03:33:48 by Lit Knob »

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 02, 2023, 04:02:15 »
Oh, that must be one of Nifflas' expansion levels' tilesets.
people other than nifflas can put "no use" on their tilesets

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 02, 2023, 04:27:00 »
I know, but the tileset in question also "doesn't mention its author", it's from more than 10 years ago, and there's many of them.
That combination should be a very rare occurrence.
The expansion tilesets do say "Nifflas' expansion levels" though, so yes, they could be unrelated tilesets with even worse info bars, somehow...
I just doubt it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 04:32:05 by Lit Knob »

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 02, 2023, 05:46:32 »
to clarify for Hmpf, what lit knob meant is that if the tileset specifically says this:

then that warning no longer applies due to nifflas granting permission for the tilesets he made to be used anywhere. other old tilesets with "no use" on them have nothing to do with it, and as far as i'm aware nifflas never wrote "no use! FU" on any of his tilesets.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 06:03:31 by Wibi »

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 02, 2023, 05:49:32 »
To be honest, many of the tilesets are so ancient that their authors might have completely forgotten making them. If you think you likely got permission to use them back then, then I would call it good. In the chance you made a mistake there, I don't think anyone is going to notice or come after you. It's always good to be cautious in these matters, but don't let little details and uncertainties force you to recreate entire areas.
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 02, 2023, 07:17:08 »
It's probably easiest if you post the tileset in question, I think we might be able to figure it out together.
The text "no use FU" made me think of the attached tileset by Sal/Elder, and he specifically said to ignore that *when releasing the tilesets for public use*
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 02, 2023, 08:26:49 »
Oh wow, it really says "NO USE!!! FU". O_o
Interestingly, Mashu Prapa tilesets don't seem to be on Comhon's archive yet, and the links are dead.
Well, considering Mashu Prapa is a "green level", it's definitely one of those tilesets

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 02, 2023, 11:10:15 »
and built three or so new ones, bringing the total of new screens since the "resurrection" up to 10, so the screen count now is... whatever it was before I stopped in 2013 (539, if I didn't miscount then?) plus 10. So, possibly, the next one will be 550?! Wheeeee!!!
Well, that's why I mentioned the tool. :P

I checked out the thread and it said that there is a bug that makes it sometimes insert code into the world file, so I shied back from it, for now. Will use it eventually, but not on my "working file" of the level. Will use it in a separate instance of the game.