Hempuli's games (6 at the moment)

• 88 Replies

Offline Hempuli

• View Profile
Hempuli's games (6 at the moment)
« on: July 06, 2009, 00:29:22 »
So, I haven't been very active at the forums lately (moved quite much to the IRC channel), but I thought you might enjoy some of the newer games of mine. These are all very small, but well, I hope you enjoy anyway. Let's start with the oldest
(I'll just copy the info from other forum)

FLICKERSTRINGS
A puzzle-"platformer". Sort of. In each of the levels your mission is to collect all the rotating yellow squares. They might be hard to distinguish from the backgrounds, but try hard. Before you cal collect anything, you must draw yourself a character. There's one or two small brown areas in every level, and by clicking those you'll start drawing. While drawing, you can use the right mouse key to cancel the drawing. When you release the mouse or when your drawing is too long, the drawing becomes your game character, and you can move around with it. If you can't, your drawing has got stuck inside a wall. It is possible to happen. Control the drawing with:
AD: move left and right
W: jump.

You can start a new drawing anytime you want, but look out because you have a drawing limit in each level. When you finish a new drawing, the old one becomes solid wall, and can hang in the air. Use this as your advantage. Spikes destroy your drawings, so avoid those.

screenshots:

download link:
www.hempuli.com/FLICKER.zip
The music was created by Noby!

G-E-N-E-R-I-C platformer
GENERIC is a platformer with a VERY unique take to the genre (such as jumping on enemies to kill them), and it contains a deep message directed towards indie gaming and gamers themselves.

== BUTTONS TO PLAY ==
A & D to move
W & Space to jump

avoid spikes and spike drones, collect points and jump on enemies! You need a certain amount of points to proceed to the next level, but don't worry, there wont be any coin-hunts here!

Screenshots:

Download:

The in-game music was composed by Technix!
Sound effects from Mario games and SFXR

Bulletsss
Bulletsss is yet another puzzle-platformer, in fact it's a sequel to my earlier game, BulletZORZ. The 'thing' is quite much the same - you shoot bullets and jump on them, though this time there's a new ability available. By shooting towards a wall while near to it, you can fly to the opposite direction with a high momentum. I suck at explaining, but I hope the game gives a good enough example.

=Buttons=
arrows - move & aim
shift - jump & confirm
control - shoot
space - restart
enter - change difficulty
escape - quit

The music was composed by Smirk from Modarchive

I guess that's quite much everything, here're the screenshots:

Download link: www.hempuli.com/Bulletsss.zip

FallOver!
Yet another platformer with a twist, this time a bit in the spirit of GENERIC. Otherwise quite much your average platformer, but with some physics gimmicks! The first level of the game contains all information needed to play, so remember to check it first before playing the other levels!

=Buttons=
arrows - move
S - jump & confirm
A - stand up in case you fall over
R - restart
escape - quit

Music composed by Harde_Koren at modarchive! At least I think so, the creator was a bit unclear in his commentary.

Addicsjon
I wanted to test what would happen if the playable character actively disobeyed the player's commands and tried to break the given rules. The result isn't very enjoyable, I fear, but I think the idea is there. The game was done under 2 days, so don't expect anything as finished as FallOver.

Your mission is to guide our little drug-addict through 5 levels, each filled with tasty-looking white pills. The druggist tries to desperately get any pills available, even though they just make his condition worse. So, naturally, you have to force him to go to the goal and prevent him from taking those drugs! Also avoiding innocent people might be good.
Don't worry, even when the game is about drugs it doesn't really encourage you to try them or anything like that. That'd be just crazy. ;O

CONTROLS:
Left & Right arrow: move. Your movement speed may sometimes slow down, if the druggist wants to go to the opposite direction. Also, if you let go of an arrow button, the druggist will take command!

Down arrow: if the druggist jumps to get a pill, you can make the jump lower by holding down. Very useful in certain situations!

S: Jump. The druggist can jump also by himself, so be ready for strange situations.

The music was composed by Konsta Mikkonen at Modarchive!

All these games were programmed with Multimedia Fusion 2 by Clickteam.
I hope you enjoy!

Excavatorrr

You play as a lonely excavator, who seeks for riches from the depths of the underground world. Of course there're loads of enemies and obstacles to be passed, but who knows what lies down there, just waiting to be found?

I created Excavatorrr to participate the Ludum Dare 15 game creation competition in August 2009. This wasn't my first entry, in fact there was another fully finished game as my entrant, called "CaveFrog", but it was silly and bad in my opinion. The competition version of Excavatorrr was created in 9-11 hours, and as you can guess, it had some weird things and bugs, and the overall gameplay was confusing. Overall the biggest cons that drove people away (and made me not win!) were the confusing controls, lack of information and the fact the game'd require some learning in order to be mastered.

However, I enjoyed the game myself a lot, so I decided to create this new, better version out of it. I tried to fix most of the things people didn't like about it, though with such a complex game the controls were still left rather confusing. Also due to the way I coded the game I couldn't add a real tutorial, just a silly "Controls" help text. One of the great updates is the online scoreboard; but there're also many new items, new enemies and even some random encounters. Woo.

= HOW TO PLAY =

RIGHT / LEFT ARROW = Move

UP / DOWN ARROW = Look up/down, and use ladders.

S = Jump. Your jump is about 3 tiles high.

D = Attack/Use things you have in your hands. Usually just throw them.

D + DOWN = Pick up/Put down. THIS IS IMPORTANT! You really need those items, y'know!

D + UP = Throw upwards/2nd ability

UP = Enter shop. Very useful!

You get money by collecting money and bringing jewels to the shop. Also golden idols are welcomed to the shop, they're worth of muchos pesetas! Try to continue deeper, but keep in mind your jump height, and always ensure you can get back! It's a good idea to carry a Ladder Kit with you all the time. Look out for falling blocks, and also look if you can see tiles that have different texture than the others, they may hold secrets! Remember also the falling damage.

Be ready to try several times, for the system is roguelikely unforgiving and the controls are so confusing that you need to take your time learning them.

Download link: www.hempuli.com/Excavatorrr.zip
The in-game music was composed by Noby, this awesome guy. Praise is endless!

Oh, and if you want to see a bit about the gameplay (though in the Ludum dare version, I'll upload a new video later), check http://www.vimeo.com/6382316
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 01:04:32 by Hempuli »

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: Hempuli's 3-in-one game package
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 01:30:15 »
I would like to be the first to say awesmoe.

Also: GENERIC Platformer needs a save dealy.
good bye

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 01:52:06 »
I would like to be the second to say this looks awesmoe (In 14 pt font)

About the save: sound like timerocketsby
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 02:42:23 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Offline Igiari

• No
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 02:02:23 »
I would like to be the third to say that this is awesmoe then.
I believe Bulletsss is my favorite of these, with GENERIC Platformer coming somewhat close second. I'm really starting to envy you and your creative games, wish I could make games like you.

Spoiler: Currently Playing (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Achievments (click to show/hide)

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 02:41:56 »
*cough*
Bulletsss = Bulletzorz
Generic = timerocketzby
Lurk more.

Offline Hempuli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 10:33:32 »
Thanks for your awesmoe comments! :D

*cough*
Bulletsss = Bulletzorz
Generic = timerocketzby

Well, Bulletsss is a sequel to BulletZORZ, so I see nothig wring with the resemblance.
And I'm not sure what would make Generic resemble Timerocketxby too much, in case I understood your post correctly.

I'm really starting to envy you and your creative games, wish I could make games like you.

Seriously, no need to! There are tons of people who should be envied instead of me - The Internets is full of awesmoe people!

Perhaps. It isn't very long though, so saving woul come in handy quite much only if you're aiming for getting all the coins/others (, I think).

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 11:24:17 »
*cough*
Bulletsss = Bulletzorz
Generic = timerocketzby

Well, Bulletsss is a sequel to BulletZORZ, so I see nothig wring with the resemblance.
And I'm not sure what would make Generic resemble Timerocketxby too much, in case I understood your post correctly.

It has a protagonist who is moved conventionally with wasd or whatever and has a projectile weapon that is aimed with the mouse.

...beyond that there aren't many similarities, though, except ones shared by many platformers.

Perhaps. It isn't very long though, so saving woul come in handy quite much only if you're aiming for getting all the coins/others (, I think).

I ragequit the game after making the same level unwinnable several times in a row, then came back later and found that I had to play through it all again. (I ragequit again.)
good bye

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 12:29:27 »
these are very interesting games

and colorful ones... :nuts:

whoah the caps key
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 13:44:11 by Evil »

Offline Hempuli

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 13:33:28 »
Quote from: googoogjoob

I ragequit the game after making the same level unwinnable several times in a row, then came back later and found that I had to play through it all again. (I ragequit again.)

Oh, ragequitting is indeed bad to mix with unability to save. However, the most important thing about generic isn't exactly completing the game, but more likely the moment you figure out the 'twist'. I'm sorry, but I'm a bit too lazy to implement a save feature.. X)

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 15:48:38 »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Lurk more.

Offline Hempuli

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 15:56:47 »
I understand your madness. The mechanic is kind of unforgiving. I don't know how I could change that though. :o

Offline Budja

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 16:14:02 »

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 16:23:58 »
Awesome games, as usual! I've beaten all games on normal difficulty - None of them got boring after a while.
I was stuck on Bulletsss' level 15 and probably spent half an hour trying to beat it, quite ridiculous.
I had to go to the toilet, but there are more important things in life.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 19:09:55 by Looki »

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 20:35:18 »
GENERIC Platformer amused me quite a lot.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 02:17:43 »
lol went onto indieblog and i saw buletlessss
in the end..well done  8D