Moderators

• 12 Replies
Moderators
« on: June 25, 2009, 23:11:42 »
I probably don't have any chance but I was wondering how to become a moderator (that's the lowest level, right?) Does an admin just decide he likes your support and make you a mod or do you have to do something particular etc.

Edit: I checked the faq and this section
[achvmnt]VkVSMDIAAAAAAACBgIAAAAAAAAAA[/achvmnt]

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: Moderators
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 23:39:45 »
Well, first, I understand you're new. If I were you, I'd wait a while until I had a clear idea of how this forum runs, 'cause being a mod is a lot of responsibility. (Not that I would know. X))
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 23:42:39 »
1. There are no ranks in the forum...at least there shouldn't be any ranks. But Users come
before Moderators.

2. If you are very helpful to the community and follow all the Forum Rules correctly and have a wonderful behavior, then an Admin might spot you and allow you to become a mod.

3. I'm not 100% sure if this forum needs more Moderators, but it'd be good to have some in one side of the world and the others in the other side. This is because most Moderators are asleep at the same time, that's not really helpful.

This reply is coming from a very disruptive user so some of these might be wrong. Feel free to edit this Mods.  :)

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 23:43:14 »
Well, first, I understand you're new. If I were you, I'd wait a while until I had a clear idea of how this forum runs, 'cause being a mod is a lot of responsibility. (Not that I would know. X))

Not new man  XD new to this forum yeah but I was registered to the old forum since before knytt stories. Anywho I'm pretty familiar with the new forum because of prior experience. Sorry if that sounded rude man I'm just trying to state the facts so I can get some help. Anyway do you know how? I'll do whatever it takes, I love this forum.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 23:45:09 »
1. There are no ranks in the forum...at least there shouldn't be any ranks. But Users come
before Moderators.

2. If you are very helpful to the community and follow all the Forum Rules correctly and have a wonderful behavior, then an Admin might spot you and allow you to become a mod.

3. I'm not 100% sure if this forum needs more Moderators, but it'd be good to have some in one side of the world and the others in the other side. This is because most Moderators are asleep at the same time, that's not really helpful.

This reply is coming from a very disruptive user so some of these might be wrong. Feel free to edit this Mods.  :)
aww to bad I live in the U.S. because I bet a high percentage does :(

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 00:01:48 »
Being a moderator isn't necessarily fun ;)

It's like being a regular member, but with the added responsibilities of dealing with spammers, dealing with help request PMs, moving topics, removing obscene content, etc...

Basically, if an admin were to make you a mod right now, you'd probably find it less fun, exciting and interesting than you think you will.

This post brought to you by someone who has never been a mod on a popular forum (although I have on a few small ones and I've administered a few, and have also read several accounts from mods).

The only real upsides of being a mod are knowing you're contributing to the community, access to mod-only forums, having your name in green, and being able to use mod edit tags :P

But if you do want to be one, just hang around, be a long-term regular, be helpful, follow rules etc. Given that, there's a reasonable chance that you'll be a mod eventually- mods will leave, gaps will appear, and you may be spotted as just the right candidate :)

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 00:09:59 »
Being a moderator isn't necessarily fun ;)

It's like being a regular member, but with the added responsibilities of dealing with spammers, dealing with help request PMs, moving topics, removing obscene content, etc...

Basically, if an admin were to make you a mod right now, you'd probably find it less fun, exciting and interesting than you think you will.

This post brought to you by someone who has never been a mod on a popular forum (although I have on a few small ones and I've administered a few, and have also read several accounts from mods).

The only real upsides of being a mod are knowing you're contributing to the community, access to mod-only forums, having your name in green, and being able to use mod edit tags :P

But if you do want to be one, just hang around, be a long-term regular, be helpful, follow rules etc. Given that, there's a reasonable chance that you'll be a mod eventually- mods will leave, gaps will appear, and you may be spotted as just the right candidate :)

I like dealing with people reasonably. Sounds fun to help people ;)

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 00:38:53 »
Yeah? Check out general statistics for goog.
Lurk more.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 00:58:51 »
Yeah? Check out general statistics for goog.

Wow! That's insane :O

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 01:00:46 »
OK just WTF... when does he sleep!?
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 01:11:20 »
When I'm tired. 9_9

Anyway: there is nothing specific you can do to become a mod. The admins choose a user to be promoted to mod when there is a need for a new mod. (Currently there isn't really, and there probably won't be for a while unless a current mod leaves.) Of course, they choose users who they think will be best as a mod. It's not like you get promoted as a reward for being especially active. Being a mod isn't even really a reward at all- it's a delegation of responsibility. Sure, mods have more power, but this power must be used exclusively for enforcing the rules.

Also, currently only two mods (of seven) live in the US: me and James16. (The two global mods- on this forum the responsibility hierarchy goes global mod-super mod-admin.) The rest of the staff is European.

(Incidentally, the number of mods the forum has had has varied throughout its history. It's not like a mod is added every time one leaves. For example, Drakkan was demoted from global mod and replaced by J; then X_Sheep was demoted from super mod for inactivity and J was promoted to fill his position; then I was promoted to fill J's position; then FastRecords resigned from admin and Paula was promoted to super mod and then admin to fill his position; then HaPK resigned and James16 was promoted to fill his position.)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 01:14:49 by googoogjoob »
good bye

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 01:13:22 »
When I'm tired. 9_9

Anyway: there is nothing specific you can do to become a mod. The admins choose a user to be promoted to mod when there is a need for a new mod. (Currently there isn't really, and there probably won't be for a while unless a current mod leaves.) Of course, they choose users who they think will be best as a mod. It's not like you get promoted as a reward for being especially active. Being a mod isn't even really a reward at all- it's a delegation of responsibility. Sure, mods have more power, but this power must be used exclusively for enforcing the rules.

Also, currently only two mods (of seven) live in the US: me and James16. (The two global mods- on this forum the responsibility hierarchy goes global mod-super mod-admin.) The rest of the staff is European.

Thanks man, My question has been satisfactorally answered

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 08:23:37 »
Most has been said.

One thing I'd like to add here is a thanks. :)

I get asked this question sometimes on the IRC channel, and I don't mind answering it. Its not a secret how we choose our staff, and I even think that knowing what we seek in a potential new mod will motivate users to follow the rules better, which are actually rules based upon common sense and mutual respect.

In short, the admins manage a forum by looking ahead. We actually estimate a wave of new users based on added features to the forum (even to the forum software, or a release of a new game etc). Based on how big we think the wave will be, or how the amount of users is growing in time, we look for how we'll be able to manage in say... a month. If we are concerned that we might get a moment that it'll be so busy for the current staff and we could use one or more extra members in the staff to help, then the admins start a discussion with the supermods for possible candidates. After collecting potential candidates, the admins  make a decision (which is usually about a month later when we estimate that its necessary, or earlier if the demands were raised in the meanwhile)

Do notice, that we always look around, cus it has happened before that Nifflas released a secret project and a sudden userincrease happened. XD

As admin, you just have to be prepared for anything. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex