• View Profile
Re: [Puzzle/Misc] Fissure
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 16:20:27 »
I too prefer chapter format  :)

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 14:17:48 »
Well, it's decided, it will indeed be released in Chapters. The first of which is about 40% done. The basic area structure and puzzles / challenges are planned, but I'm still working on some tilesets and gradients. There's a 'village' tileset that's giving me trouble at the moment.

Also, I think it would be neat if the chapters were released as expansions upon the existing level, rather than as standalone levels. (Unless the chapters are huge.) All chapter-based levels I know of have been released in discrete installments, rather than as one unit. (This gets really frustrating when I have to go back through the pages of levels to open the next installment in a series like Cube.) As long as each new release doesn't have tons of new music, the size wouldn't be much of a problem. (Even if there were this sort of size problem- the music could be packaged in the first chapter, say, and then each subsequent release wouldn't have any music, to save space. The new releases would overwrite the map and world files, but wouldn't overwrite the music from the original level.) In the short term, for chapter-based release, the individual levels would be more convenient, but in the long term the expansions-upon-a-single-level thing would work better, especially as it would make players play the chapters in order.

So... From what I understand, I'd essentially release the level containing just the first chapter. Then, once the second chapter's ready, I'd re-release it as a larger (but still the same) .bin file which would overwrite the previous one on the player's computer and they can continue from their last savegame to play the next chapter. Is this what you mean? Would that work alright? What drawbacks would there be to this other than the player possibly removing their install / savegames on completion of the first chapter(s)... I like the idea of this.

Expect a new screenie before the week is up.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 14:35:27 »
So... From what I understand, I'd essentially release the level containing just the first chapter. Then, once the second chapter's ready, I'd re-release it as a larger (but still the same) .bin file which would overwrite the previous one on the player's computer and they can continue from their last savegame to play the next chapter. Is this what you mean?

Exactly.

Would that work alright? What drawbacks would there be to this other than the player possibly removing their install / savegames on completion of the first chapter(s)... I like the idea of this.

The only drawback would be possible size issues. If every chapter has 20MB of new music or something, the .knytt.bin size will balloon. If a player uninstalls the level before the next chapter release, I don't know. They could always play it straight through once it's finished.

I can't think of any released levels in this format, but I've beta-tested a couple levels wherein I got the revised level, with the new area to be tested, once the new area was finished, and it worked pretty well.
good bye

4a

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 16:14:39 »
That second screenshot looks really Nifflas-y.

Offline StaticRomantic

• it's coming to get you
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 21:26:13 »
This looks incredible. Keep it up, can't wait to play it  :^^:

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 13:40:00 »
Thanks, chaps!

I'm still working on the village / town tileset and it's coming along... slowly. Here is a new screenie. The tileset is definitely NOT finalised, and the gradient is just borrowed from another area in the game until I've finished it, so it's very much a work-in-progress screenie.

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 15:14:29 »
Very nice. :3
grao!

Offline chipset

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 17:57:07 »
Excellent screen :D
:hiddenstar: - thanks AClockworkLemon!

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 19:49:11 »
Excellent tilesettry.
good bye

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 19:49:43 »
so good!

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 06:50:38 »
Thank you all very much, but actually that tileset has been dumped in favour of the following one, and two new screenies of it in action...

EDIT: It might just be the computer I'm using, but the colours are all messed up. The cloudy sky should be a few shades of gloomy grey, and have no hint of purple to it at all. If there is a purpley tinge to it on your computers, then imagine it greyer and rest assured the actual in-game colours aren't nasty and purpley.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 06:53:55 by utherdoul »

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 07:19:11 »
nice screens

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 08:15:47 »
EDIT: It might just be the computer I'm using, but the colours are all messed up. The cloudy sky should be a few shades of gloomy grey, and have no hint of purple to it at all. If there is a purpley tinge to it on your computers, then imagine it greyer and rest assured the actual in-game colours aren't nasty and purpley.

I see no purple.

Also, the sign in the first screenshot is epic.
good bye

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 13:25:50 »
Ahh, very excellent good. XD
Keep it up.
grao!