Regarding the music from A Strange Dream, would it be alright to...

• 14 Replies

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
Convert the music to MP3 and put it on an MP3 player? Sorry for asking so many silly questions, better safe then sorry though.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
You are allowed to own it, so I don't see why not. Your just not allowed to use it in your levels.
It's basically the same concept as putting it on a thumb drive and taking it to another computer... which is what Emeraldfire7 has been doing for Knytt Stories.

I'm sure many people before you have done this... and nobody knows they did in the first place.
I still couldn't see a reason it would be looked down upon though...
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline Teper

• View Profile
You do have the tracks on your pc, so there ain't any difference with your ipod. You shouldn't use it in a ks level, though, as JCG said, although you could ask permission from Nifflas

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
You are allowed to own it, so I don't see why not. Your just not allowed to use it in your levels.
It's basically the same concept as putting it on a thumb drive and taking it to another computer... which is what Emeraldfire7 has been doing for Knytt Stories.

I do that too...

I agree, I dont see why you cant use the music on an iPod, as long as it aint in a KS level.
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
You shouldn't use it in a KS level, or any other production like that (such as a game).

However, there is no reason why you would be forbidden to put it on a music player; that's just personal use.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 00:54:45 by minmay »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Normally it would be illegal, as it would mean altering the gamedata in an unintended way.

But who would know besides you? So, sure... If it only stays on your mp3 player, you shouldn't be in trouble, unless you loose the player.

I don't see you getting sued or anything for this.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
Indeed. I'm having a hard time imagining Niff sue you for converting his music into mp3's. :P
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
Indeed. I'm having a hard time imagining Niff sue you for converting his music into mp3's. :P
especially because the niffpage has most of the music (for other games) in mp3 already X-P
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
And copyright is about sharing. You're not sharing it with anyone. You're using it for personal use.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
Is the ASD music copyrighted? If it is, shouldn't there be a disclaimer somewhere in the level folder telling you who has the rights to it?
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Everything that can be copyrighted is copyrighted by default. There would need to be a disclaimer if it weren't copyrighted.
good bye

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
Normally it would be illegal, as it would mean altering the gamedata in an unintended way.

"Altering the gamedata," as you call it, is not illegal in this case.

According to the license agreement for Multimedia Fusion - and pretty much every other commercial game design software - you are not allowed to decompile or otherwise reverse engineer the game, nor alter or "rip" any of its data.
But this ONLY APPLIES TO THE GAME EXECUTABLE.  Clickteam has no domain over the music folder in A Strange Dream.

Neither Knytt Stories nor A Strange Dream has a proper license agreement, aside from the MMF2 one.  There are no particular rules as to whether or not you can do anything with the music in that level.
Nifflas, however, at one point, mentioned that you should not use any content from A Strange Dream, An Underwater Adventure, or Sky Flower in your own productions (KS or otherwise).  (The tilesets specify not to use them in your own levels, which really should be a tip-off to this.)

In any case, Nifflas doesn't object to people listening to his music or putting it on an audio player.  He is the sole author of said music.

This doesn't necessarily mean that it's legal, but nobody could possibly have any cause to say that it is illegal, either.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
It would violate the authors right, because thats what the authors right is about.

You're not to alter existing material into a new form without the author's concent. Doing it without the authors concent is considered illegal. Thats the part I refer to.

And I'm talking in a general case because there are always people that think, if it can be done here (for whatever reason), it can be done elsewhere too.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
You're not to alter existing material into a new form without the author's concent. Doing it without the authors concent is considered illegal. Thats the part I refer to.

For the purposes of most laws, changing the format of a music file is not considered to be an actual altercation.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive

For the purposes of most laws, changing the format of a music file is not considered to be an actual altercation.

Hmm, good point.

MODPlug Central Forum